iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » SWEET TALKIN' CHATROOMS (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWEET TALKIN' CHATROOMS
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samurai, your experiences of spambots etc. suggest you've only been on the big IRC networks where that kind of thing is rampant (last time I was on one anyway) where there are several servers (and hence owners) and admins who on some situations have to agree on things before action gets taken.

With a single private server there's one owner who ultimately has more control over it than the admins on multiple server networks. And being a small server it doesn't have any spambot attraction as they only target the main IRC networks, I've never seen one on the 80snostalgia.com server.

I know this site is proud of it's 'no foul language' situation and I know Nick is keen to keep that status with a chat system, it's possible to setup a bot to automatically kick users out of channels (or even off the server) if they swear. With the logging capabilities IRC servers have you could then tell who the troublemakers are (kicked out of channels/off the server repeatedly wuold show up) and ban their IP addresses from even connecting to the server (k-lines).

The bottom line is an single private server is a world away from a network of servers, my experience of the 80snostalgia.com one has been nothing but positive.

If you do setup a server, please don't ask me to be an OP or admin as I sound like I know what I'm doing, been there done that, helped adminsiter a large channel on IRCnet years ago and I ultimately screwed up - that phrase "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" is so true [Frown]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Samurai Sweetie   Author's Homepage   Email Samurai Sweetie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wizard:
Samurai, your experiences of spambots etc. suggest you've only been on the big IRC networks where that kind of thing is rampant (last time I was on one anyway) where there are several servers (and hence owners) and admins who on some situations have to agree on things before action gets taken.

With a single private server there's one owner who ultimately has more control over it than the admins on multiple server networks. And being a small server it doesn't have any spambot attraction as they only target the main IRC networks, I've never seen one on the 80snostalgia.com server.

I know this site is proud of it's 'no foul language' situation and I know Nick is keen to keep that status with a chat system, it's possible to setup a bot to automatically kick users out of channels (or even off the server) if they swear. With the logging capabilities IRC servers have you could then tell who the troublemakers are (kicked out of channels/off the server repeatedly wuold show up) and ban their IP addresses from even connecting to the server (k-lines).

The bottom line is an single private server is a world away from a network of servers, my experience of the 80snostalgia.com one has been nothing but positive.

Actually no, I've encountered this on many irc/mirc servers, even the small and privately owned ones, maybe 80snostlagia is different and has some kind of filter in effect, I've never been there so I wouldn't know [Confused]
Posts: 186 | From: Lookout Mountain Road | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is this still a conversation about chat-rooms? 'cos with all this technical talk,i thought it was stolen plans to build a new DEATH STAR....!
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I told you she would never conciously betray the rebellion..."
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it weird that Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee were always linked together because of the Hammer Horror movies.And even now after Cushing's death,they are still linked because of the Star Wars movies.Funny that!! I was going to reply with a Star Wars quote like Nick but I thought i'd say something interesting instead(isn't it?). Oh go on then,a Cushing Star Wars quote....(with exasperation) ''Evacuate! I think you over estimate their chances'' thank you and goodnight. [Eek!]
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home