iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The 80s are the number 1 decade for cult classics, according to Entertainment Weekly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The 80s are the number 1 decade for cult classics, according to Entertainment Weekly
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, all, rocksteadyflamethrower here, with an interesting bit of news for you all.

Entertainment Weekly recently did a list of the Top 50 Cult Movies, and the highest amount of entries on the list came from the decade celebrated on this site, the 1980s.

Here's the complete list, with the 80s movies in Bold lettering to show you the extent of the list:

1.) This Is Spinal Tap (1984) (Note: I did the Rewind write-up on this film)

2.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

3.) Freaks (1932)

4.) Harold & Maude (1972)

5.) Pink Flamingos (1972)

6.) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

7.) Repo Man (1984)

8.) Scarface (1983)

9.) Blade Runner (1982)

10.) The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

11.) Five Deadly Venoms (1978)

12.) Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)

13.) Brazil (1985)

14.) Eraserhead (1977)

15.) Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1966)

16.) The Warriors (1979)

17.) Dazed And Confused (1993)

18.) Hard-Boiled (1992)

19.) Evil Dead 2 (1987)

20.) The Mack (1973)

21.) Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)

22.) Un Chien Andalou (1928)

23.) Akira (1989)

24.) The Toxic Avenger (1985)

25.) Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory (1971)

26.) Stranger Than Paradise (1984)

27.) Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

28.) The Wiz (1978)

29.) Clerks (1994)

30.) The Harder They Come (1973)

31.) Slap Shot (1977)

32.) Re-Animator (1985)

33.) Grey Gardens (1976)

34.) The Big Lebowski (1998)

35.) Withnail And I (1987)

36.) Showgirls (1995)

37.) A Bucket Of Blood (1959)

38.) They Live (1988)

39.) The Best Of Everything (1959)

40.) Barbarella (1968)

41.) Heathers (1989)

42.) Rushmore (1998)

43.) The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension (1984)

44.) Love Streams (1984)

45.) Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story (1987)

46.) Aguirre, The Wrath Of God (1972)

47.) Walking And Talking (1996)

48.) The Decline Of Western Civilization 2: The Metal Years

49.) Friday (1995)

50.) Faces Of Death, Volume 1 (1978)

With 18 movies, the 80s take the lead in cult movies. The issue also fetaures a photo shoot with Daryl Hannah as Pris from "Blade Runner" (For a woman of 43, she still looks a lot like she did when she was 22) and Michael McKean as David St. Hubbins from "This Is Spinal Tap", alongside Stephen Root from the 90s cult classic "Office Space" and Andrew Bryniarski, who will be playing Leatherface in the upcoming remake of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

Any thoughts, gang?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

And be sure to read my latest summary, this one for the movie "Hello Again".

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msbradshaw
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 982

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for msbradshaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I was in the grocery store today and saw this issue of EW and picked it up immediately! I was surprised to see that A Clockwork Orange wasn't on the list. I was also surprised to see Shawshank Redemption and Friday on the list. I know these films are good, but what really constitutes a "cult classic"?
Posts: 22 | From: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some good films in that list but yeah what is considered 'cult classic'? there's a few I'd like to add to that list:

Freaked (1993) - a rare and sick/twisted Alex Winter/Keanu Reeves/Mr.T film (got the DVD [Smile] )

Rock & Rule (1983) - an even rarer film with music by Lou Reed, Debbie Harry, Earth Wind & Fire, Cheap Trick and Iggy Pop (can't wait for the DVD, I did the review on this site)

Hardware aka M.A.R.K. 13 (1990) - a low budget sci-fi flick that has an edge to it, Lemmy from Motorhead is in it and Iggy Pop as Angry Bob a radio DJ (was due for a DVD release in Jan but apparently delayed)

Paperhouse (1988) - a great chiller/sci-fi film about a girl who's drawings start becomming her dreams (I recently submitted a review for this)

Dark Star (1974) - the first ever sci-fi comedy film? written by John Carpenter and the guy who wrote Alien & Lifeforce, it has some great black humour in it like trying to convince a sentient thermostellar bomb that it shouldn't explode

I think part of the problem with some cult films is that they're just too rare due to limited releases, meaning a lot of people don't know about them, there's a lot of hidden gems out there and I'm finding more of them all the time (the upside to hunting down 80s flicks).

Some films probably didn't get into the review list because they're too commercial (The Matrix, Star Wars etc.)

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheres Goonies?
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Msbradshaw wrote, in part:
quote:

[snip]...I was surprised to see that A Clockwork Orange wasn't on the list. I was also surprised to see Shawshank Redemption and Friday on the list...[snip]

I agree that Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (1971) should have made the list. Personally, I think the movie itself is a little overrated, but I recognize it is quite unusual and unique in its vision, and that some major movie buffs are truly devoted to this film. Also, that movie has sometimes made the "midnight movie" theater circuit, and that alone merits it as a "cult" classic.

I also agree that The Shawshank Redemption probably isn't quite a "cult" film. I like the movie, despite its overlength...but I don't know of any people that devoted to the movie. Maybe they just happen to be fans of its author, Stephen King?

I never saw Friday, so I can't comment if it is cult-worthy.

I will have to think things over and come up with a list of "cult" films that should've been listed.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some good films on that list. I never knew Faces of Death had a cult following. Crazy!

Breakfast Club didn't make this list? [Mad]

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say that Goonies and Breakfast Club are too well known, unlike the films chosen that only a small circle (or buffs like us) know about.

But come on, Faces of Death???? That's not a "movie", its a silly shockumentary.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might not be regarded as a "cult movie" now (cuz it's too early), but I will predict that "Fight Club" (1999) is offbeat enough to make it a possible cult favorite.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home