iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Favorite Stephen King Movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite Stephen King Movie
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks. This topic has probably been done before, but here it goes. Favorite Stephen King movie. I guess my choice would be "The Shining"

I also liked "The Stand."

Your choices?

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massiveretaliation
Master Rewinder
Member # 950

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for massiveretaliation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Cat's Eye" (saw it at the drive-in back in the day with Pee Wee's Big Adventure and one other movie I think) and "It"
Posts: 168 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fog-80
Rewinder
Member # 1254

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for fog-80   Email fog-80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stand By Me.
Posts: 43 | From: Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shining of course and then maybe Cat People. Christine was good too. Did Steven King do Shawshank Redemption or am I dreaming?
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akita asked:
quote:
...Did Steven King do "Shawshank Redemption" or am I dreaming?
No, you're not dreaming.

Although Stephen King is generally known as a horror writer, he also wrote a lot of stories that are not horror or scary at all.

Movies that are based from his non-horror stories are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Hearts In Atlantis
Misery
(which is more of a suspense thriller instead of horror)
Stand By Me (from King's "The Body")
The Green Mile
Apt Pupil

King has also written books using the pseudonym of "Richard Bachman". One of them became the 1987 movie "The Running Man", starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PMDJOKER
Rewind Curious
Member # 1334

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for PMDJOKER   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christine!! [Smile]
Posts: 6 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hezibaby
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 222

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hezibaby   Email Hezibaby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stephen king is my favorite writer. i love this mans mind. to add to StevenHW's post about Stephen King's non horror stories just one more: THE EYES OF THE DRAGON. great great book! one of his earlier. if you are a fan and havent read it i recommend you do.

favorite stephen king movies: THE SHINNING and STAND BY ME.

Posts: 29 | From: Bradenton, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realise how many of his 'non-horror' films I really liked, such as all those ones mentioned above. Looks like I'm a 'King Fan' and didn't know it!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leppardfan
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1280

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for leppardfan   Email leppardfan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen King is also my favorite author. As far as movies go, my favorite would have to be Carrie. It was great and I was finally able to buy it on DVD. I also really enjoyed Silver Bullet with Corey Haim and The Stand.

Did you know that Stephen King hates being associated with Stanley Kubrick's Shining. He says they did a terrible job of it. So they remade the movie for TV in 1997 which Stephen King has a cameo in as the "dead" band leader.

Posts: 16 | From: elk grove, Ca | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for djcsuperstar   Author's Homepage   Email djcsuperstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CREEPSHOW!!!! loved it. (part 2, not as good but a great movie too)

The Shining -a classic, one of the great Nicholson's top 3 performances.

Maximum Overdrive -yes, this is no typo...I actually really like this one.

The Dead Zone -one of Walkens best.

Shawshank Redemption -a flawless film.

Stand By Me -one of the best buddy movies of all time.

Christine -John Carpenter doing Stephen King...great score, great car.

Running Man -a visionary story that is strangely getting to seem less like a work of fiction everyday.

Posts: 146 | From: Pluto | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to be in in the minority on this one, but "Maximum Overdrive". Funny, silly, action. Steamrollered little leaguers, talking Burger Menu Boards, rocket launchers into beer trucks. Plus that theme: "Chock chock chock" sound. My best friend and I STILL sometimes break into that if we see a semi coming!

Shining was so different than the book. Liked the movie more actually.

Firestarter, Standy By Me, and Misery also.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjsacran
Rewinder
Member # 1314

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jjsacran   Email jjsacran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stand by me & the shinning
Posts: 39 | From: Cookeville TN | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tzeitel
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for tzeitel   Email tzeitel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shining Carrie Stand by Me are the best.

The worst was the one with Emilio Estevez and the trucks that come to life [Mad] Also..who was the genius who decided to remake The Shining as a mini series starring that Wings guy?!

Posts: 28 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonbaby345
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1365

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for moonbaby345   Email moonbaby345   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite Stephen King movie Carrie.
Favorite 80's Stepehn King movie Pet Sematry.

I too am one that like Maxium Overdrive.

Posts: 14 | From: Cleveland,OH | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RAY_2003
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 444

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for RAY_2003   Email RAY_2003   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
faved steven king movie would have 2 be
"stand by me"

can u help with this though i think it was produced by steven king not sure but in it there was a group of people of which they were in a airport place then these monsters things started eating everything up. Story line being that the group of people saw what happens (when the day finishes and cataches up with them and the nxt day appears in a oddly state)

can any1 help with this horror title
cheers!

Posts: 13 | From: LONDON | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christine no doubt. I used to have dreams a car was chasing me. [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leppardfan
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1280

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for leppardfan   Email leppardfan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray 2003, the movie you are thinking of is called The Langoliers from the Stephen King book Four Past Midnight. It was made into a TV movie in 1995. It's actually one of his better short stories. You can buy the movie on DVD.

The one I would really love to see on the big screen is called The Mist, a short novel from his book Skeleton Crew. Has anyone else read that one?

Posts: 16 | From: elk grove, Ca | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tzeitel
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for tzeitel   Email tzeitel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
leppardfan...I love The Mist! Just reread it a couple of weeks ago! King is an amazing short story writer. I think, as you do, that it would make a great movie. Kinda like The Fog, something about an unseen killer/monster that is really creapy. Especially with that rolling fog coming at you!
Posts: 28 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richard_grieco
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1054

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for richard_grieco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It"
Posts: 27 | From: Sactomento, Californey | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a hard one! I like a lot of his books and no film ever really gets the feeling to the screen that you get from one of his stories.

Stand By Me is my favorite though. It's a little different from his novella The Body, but it's truly a great film!

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've liked nearly all the Stephen King films I've seen. Tho the original versions of The Shining, Carrie and Salem's lot. Along with Dolores Claiborne and Sometimes they come back are my absolute favourites [Smile]

[ 06. August 2007, 09:41: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astra11
Rewind Curious
Member # 5957

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Astra11   Email Astra11   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Ever find that you rewatch the movie some 15 years later, as an adult and you appreciate them even more? I just recently watched IT and I loved it. I also just watched Shawshank Redemption, and damn it is a fine movie. The Stand is next on my list.

Oh Dreamcatcher, I thought was brilliant. Morgan Freeman is a legendary actor.

I still have Cujo and and Misery to watch.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just one of the girls
Master Rewinder
Member # 5766

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for just one of the girls   Email just one of the girls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cujo and Christine.

They still scare the crap out of me!!!

I wish i had the shirt the one character wore in "monster squad" that says "Shephen King Rules".

Posts: 180 | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SwitchbladeNymphony
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5923

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SwitchbladeNymphony   Email SwitchbladeNymphony   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite Film Ever-Stand By Me
Posts: 14 | From: wilmington, nc | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home