iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Australian 80s films (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Australian 80s films
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shadow is a lot of fun,i've seen that Tale Of The Mummy movie and your not wrong Atomik it sucked,i never realised till I just checked out his filmography that Russell Mulcahy directed The Buggles Video Killed The Radio Star music video - https://youtu.be/W8r-tXRLazs .

I didn't actually dislike the direct home video movie he done with Dolph Lundgren in 1996 - Silent Trigger I thought that was alright plus Give Em Hell Malone with Thomas Jane which was a bit of a mess but it did entertain,well I thought so anyway!

-

Not long picked up (it's actually still in its shrink-wrap) an Aussie movie on Blu-ray one which I mentioned on the last page and that is the 2012 comedy drama Mental which I think is really good fun especially Anthony Lapaglia's performance!

[ 15. September 2016, 08:17: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked on wikipedia, and Mulcahy did tons of music videos back in the 80s. It's a shame that he didn't have a more successful film career. After The Shadow flopped, he was relagated to junk like Tale of the Mummy and direct-to-video stuff with Lundgren and Jane. It's a shame. He's a good visual stylist.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Three Australian lieutenants are court martialed for executing prisoners as a way of deflecting attention from war crimes committed by their superior officers." (IMDb)

Watched Breaker Morant (1980) which was directed by one of my favorites, Bruce Beresford.
Set in the early 1900s during the second anglo-boer war, this is an interesting war/trial film, if a bit dry at times.

The movie stars Edward Woodward, Bryan Brown, Jack Thompson and Lewis Fitz-Gerald. Breaker Morant won 10 AFI´s and Thompson also won the the best supporting actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

It´s a talky film as these trial movies tend to be with some war action and anti-hollywood ending. Good stuff.
I also want to thank my australian friend who sent me this very cool 2-disc set.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread. I like '80's Australian films, though many are tough to find on Region 1 (U.S.) DVD/Blu-ray.

Off of the top of my heard, here are some of my favorite (many already mentioned):

"Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome" (1985) - definitely my favorite MM film out of the original three; the post apocalyptic world was fully realized here. The gladiator-style fight scenes were great, and Tina Turner was excellent as well.

"Gallipoli" (1981) - one of my favorite war films; like how this focused on Australian troops fighting overseas.

"Breaker Morant" (1980) - excellent, and possibly Ed Woodward's best role.

"Dead End Drive-In" (1986): I reviewed this in another thread devoted to the film. Very quirky, indy film with a punk rock vibe.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallipoli is a truly awesome Aussie war flick and one of my faves,never seen Breaker Morant but it sounds more than decent and with a great cast,what about The Lighthorsemen,Phar Lap and The Coca Cola Kid any fans out there as there all winners in my book!

-

Never seen it but have always heard good things about this 1984 Aussie comedy drama Fast Talking,also would like to check out the highly acclaimed crime comedy Malcolm (1986) and it's not 80s but The Big Steal https://youtu.be/mn7q4rCfGig from 1990.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Three Australian lieutenants are court martialed for executing prisoners as a way of deflecting attention from war crimes committed by their superior officers." (IMDb)

Watched Breaker Morant (1980) which was directed by one of my favorites, Bruce Beresford.
Set in the early 1900s during the second anglo-boer war, this is an interesting war/trial film, if a bit dry at times.

The movie stars Edward Woodward, Bryan Brown, Jack Thompson and Lewis Fitz-Gerald. Breaker Morant won 10 AFI´s and Thompson also won the the best supporting actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

I re-watched Breaker Morant on the Criterion DVD earlier this year; it was probably the 3rd time I had seen this. Definitely one of my all-time favorite movies. The courtroom scenes were especially superb. Ed Woodward deserved an Oscar for his performance here - much of which was just dialogue.

I felt the film did an amazing job of showing how soldiers are (in many cases) thrust into horrific situations & are forced to do terrible things to survive, and then are not supported by their higher-ups - who in most/all cases have no clue what the soldiers have to go through on a daily basis.

Obviously, the tragic outcome at the end had everything to do with politics & nothing to do with the rights of the soldiers themselves. Extremely sad.

It was good that a book was written about this case (which the film was based on) so the truth could finally come out - even though it was many years after the fact.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Time Guardian (1987)

"In the distant future, the human race nears extinction and a new race of beast-like creatures rule the earth.
The few surviving people live in the City, a huge protected construction with the ability to travel in both space and time.
The City travels back to our time to save humanity..." (IMDb)

Watched this sci-fi feature starring familiar aussie faces Tom Burlinson and Nikki Coghill.
The real reason i picked this one is the co-star Carrie Fisher. Her role isn´t that big, in fact i bet they only cast her so they could sell the film with her name.

Writer-director Brian Hannant (Road Warrior) had big plans but this production is a bad example what happens when studios and executives steal the project from your hands.
It´s rather entertaining low-budget sci-fi action film with a romance but Hannant was looking for something else.
Hannant never did another movie which is a shame. Check out the Wikipedia page to learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Guardian

There´s little bit Terminator here and also similiar ideas Galactica reboot had which is quite interesting actually.
Both The Time Guardian and Galacatica reboot series also star Dean Stockwell so there´s this weird connection.

The Time Guardian is a decent b-actioner but i have a feeling it could´ve been so much more.

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
The Time Guardian sounds like an interesting film - cool that Carrie Fisher is in this, even though it's probably just a cameo. I'll definitely try to check this out.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and after the success of the original trilogy I feel that CF probably got type-cast. She wasn't in that many movies after the SW films, but you would see her pop up in bit parts here & there - I specifically remember her in "When Harry met Sally" (1989) and "Hannah in her Sisters" (Woody Allen, 1986), as well as some later movies in the 200X's, i.e. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" and the B-grade horror flick "Sorority Row".

[ 23. February 2017, 17:44: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, she wasn´t really a big star outside SW. I own few other Carrie Fisher films like Shampoo (pre SW),
Blues Brothers, Under the Rainbow, The Man with One Red Shoe, Hannah and Her Sisters, Hollywood Vice Squad, Amazon Women on the Moon, The 'Burbs, Loverboy, Sibling Rivalry & Wonderland Murders.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Coolangatta Gold aka The Gold and the Glory (1984)

"Steve Lucas is a nineteen year old who is filled with the burning resentment of being forced to live in his brother's shadow.
His brother Adam, is burdened by his father's desire for glory, and must win The Coolangatta Gold Tri-Aquathon, It is the greatest endurance test of them all:
a marathon involving a 20 kilometer beach run, 6 kilometer swim and a 17 kilometer surf ski from Surfers Paradise along the golden arc of beach to Coolangatta and back to the start.
The Coolangatta Gold is a story of human endeavor and endurance against overwhelming odds." (IMDb)

This was a good and entertaining sports drama with great production values so it has nothing to be ashamed of among it´s the american equivalents.
The cast did good and the guys were in great shape. Lots of cool training montages here.

Cute Josephine Smulders plays Steve´s love interest. Too bad that this was her only feature film but i guess her real passion was ballet because she looks like a natural.

Love the Coolangatta and Australian Gold Coast landscapes and the Roofgarden night club setting is awesome.
Add few cool tunes and excellent score from Bill Conti and you have a really nice film in your hands.

Once again the box office wasn´t what the studio and staff had hoped so the film was destined for obscurity.
But i highly recommend this one to all 80s sports and coming of age movie fans.

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Sounds a good flick actually Atomik but like you mention very obscure as i don't think i've ever come across this one under either title (The Coolangatta Gold aka The Gold And The Glory) before!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have this Australian dvd (thanks to my friend) which includes very nice making of feature.

And as you can see, The Coolangatta Gold became an actual event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coolangatta_Gold

-

Shamrock Mavoureen
Rewind Curious
Member # 9427

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Shamrock Mavoureen   Email Shamrock Mavoureen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rebecca Smart is an Australian child actressr who did high profile stuff in the late eighties like the Shiralee and Celia.
Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Fast Talking in my queue on the Kanopy app. It is a free library app.
Guys, you should get some of these free library apps. They do have some 80’s movies. Tubi is another free app with some older stuff.

Posts: 2290 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djcsuperstar:
Not a comedy, or kids film persay, but the third (and in my opinion best) installment of the amazing Mad Max series...

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

I will have to watch beyond thunderdome again, I was not a fan when it was released but I don't remember why, maybe it was Tina Turner as I've never been a fan.

My favourite had to be the second, I think I'll add the original trilogy to my watch list to see if time has altered My perception.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
I have Fast Talking in my queue on the Kanopy app. It is a free library app.
Guys, you should get some of these free library apps. They do have some 80’s movies. Tubi is another free app with some older stuff.

I wish I could but its a long haul plane ride to go to a library [Smile]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for younger viewers, Australia had numerous Dot films released all through the 80s, most of which I subsequently saw on Disney Channel airings. Hard to say exactly which one I liked best of all, but Dot and Quito and Dot and the Whale did stick out among those that I did see.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home