iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Australian 80s films (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Australian 80s films
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

It's not from the 80s but I'll tell you one Australian film from the last few years that I did think was pretty great and that was - mental from 2012.

This had some real laugh out loud moments with quite a few of them involving Anthony lapaglia,he was terrific in this.

[ 23. April 2015, 06:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This shot makes me wanna check this one out. "Movin' Out" (1983)

-

Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pic is actually from Street Hero
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
The pic is actually from Street Hero

Oh. Is it good?
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep [Smile]
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I second that,street hero is well worth checking out!

I'm pleased I picked up a region 4 Australian DVD copy of it a while back.

I've never seen moving out but would like to,it's the delinquents with kylie minogue and charlie schlatter that I'd most like to see after all this time!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
A couple of 80s Aussie rarities

-

First up is this pretty rare and hard to find 1980 comedy caper - touch and go starring jon english (pictured at the bottom of the poster) who used to also appear in an early 90s australian tv comedy series i used really like called - all together now which ran between 1991 - 1993.

-

Next up is another very rare australian pic,one that i've also never got round to seeing and that is the 1982 comedy - the clinic.

Both of these were released by Medusa home video here in the UK and i wouldn't mind checking both of them out but they seem ever so hard to come about.

anyone ever watched or heard of either of these two early 80s australian comedies.

If so are they any good?

[ 22. May 2015, 19:17: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Haven´t seen these and our vhs database don´t know them either.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"Set in 1970's Australia, this is the true story of a woman whose husband eventually reveals to her that he is an active member of the Nazi party.
A real nightmare begins for her." (IMDb)

Hostage (1983)

Wow, what a rollercoaster! I don´t know how much is true in this one but damn it´s a crazy world we live in [Cool]
The story is just insane and the tempo is breathtaking. It was a difficult role for the lead actress Kerry Mack but i must say that she did pretty good.
The main story takes place in Australia but we get to see Germany too plus one great, bloody scene happens in Turkey.
Wicked Australian stuff!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I thought you would like it atomik,it's a great little known Aussie drama that needs a DVD/blu Ray release pronto as the vhs is getting pretty scarce!

Not sure if you've ever seen it atomik but if you ever see the 2012 Aussie flick mental doing the rounds grab a copy as it's a lot of fun and in my oppinion we'll worth a watch.

[ 17. June 2015, 05:44: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"During the year 1962, a young prepubescent boy in rural Australia watches painfully as his best friend and first love, an older girl, blossoms into womanhood
and falls for a thuggish rugby player, setting off a chain of events that irreversibly changes the lives of everyone involved." (IMDb)

The Year My Voice Broke (1987) was a pretty decent coming of age drama starring Noah Taylor, Loene Carmen and Ben Mendelsohn.
It has a small town atmosphere with big emotions. The young cast did reasonably well and i liked the New South Wales scenery.
The movie won all the most important AFI awards and there´s also a 1991 sequel Flirting starring Nicole Kidman which i would like to see someday.

Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
What's that one about the plumber that won't leave? Do you know what I'm talking about?
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Year My Voice Broke is pretty decent. Noah Taylor as well as Ben Mendelsohn have been in a ridiculous amount of movies. Even some American movies too, such as Noah Taylor playing Charlie's dad in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005).

aTomiK and Warrior, I have not seen those movies but they sound like they are worth checking out. Hostage sounds awesome.

Jakey, I believe it's actually called The Plumber (1979). Some of the footage was taken around the corner from where I used to live and I remember one scene is shot at Flinders University in South Australia (I just finished going there).

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing we are on the topic of Australian Films.

Please check out the movie "Blue Murder". Technically it's a 2 part mini-series but it plays more like a movie.

Some info I got from the YouTube video:

Blue Murder is a two-part Australian television miniseries produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) in 1995 and is based on true events.

Given its confronting content, the DVD release was classified MA 15+. An injunction brought during Arthur "Neddy" Smith's appeal against his life sentence saw its broadcast delayed in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory for six years, until 2001. In New Zealand the DVD release was classified R 18+ for graphic violence and offensive language.

Set in the 1970s and 1980s in Sydney, the miniseries concerns the relationship between controversial former Detective Roger "the Dodger" Rogerson and notorious criminal Arthur "Neddy" Smith. Rogerson and his colleagues were accused of giving Smith a "green light" to commit crimes without Police interference, with the relationship fraying when Rogerson orders hitman Christopher "Mr. Rent-a-Kill" Flannery to murder Police Officer Michael Drury. The murder of prostitute Sallie-Anne Huckstepp also features.

Blue Murder is narrated by the characters of Rogerson, Smith and Drury and focuses on the corruption allegations that plagued the NSW Police Force at the time. Rogerson and Smith achieved a kind of celebrity status during the Wood Royal Commission into Police corruption.

The screenplay was written by Ian David who has written extensively on the people and events featured. The miniseries was directed by Michael Jenkins and produced by Rod Allan.

I highly recommend it.

It was recently posted on YouTube;

Part 1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_HLOJ1hM0

Part 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnoV2TI1hw

[ 26. November 2015, 02:06: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2015, independent US dvd label Scorpion Releasing brought these two together on one dvd :

-

Winter Of Our Dreams (1981) / Far East (1982)

Remarkably there is not a single review to be found of this specific double feature dvd.

Still, the trailers look promising though :

Winter Of Our Dreams : www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcLm1eOM5SU

Far East : www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGoGb-pEZJo

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched The Club (1980)

"Boardroom and dressing-room intrigues spill on to the field at the Australian Rules football club." (IMDb)

This was pretty good film written by David Williamson (based on his play) and directed by the ever reliable Bruce Beresford.
Lots of familiar faces among the cast including Jack Thompson (team coach), Graham Kennedy (team president), Frank Wilson (man who wants to be the president),
Harold Hopkins (veteran player), John Howard (the wonder kid) and Alan Cassell (the businessman).

Collingwood Magpies is the team and management politics is the name of the game. Think what Any Given Sunday did to NFL and you pretty much know what to expect.
Lots of arguments, yelling, shouting and some really fun dialogue in this film. I liked it and the dvd has some nice extramaterial too!

Shamrock Mavoureen
Rewind Curious
Member # 9427

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Shamrock Mavoureen   Email Shamrock Mavoureen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keith Moor the Herald Sun journalist has tried to get production houses interested in making a movie or at least a dramatised reconstruction of the 1984 Kylie Maybury rape-kill outrage.
Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Windrider (1986).

"PC Simpson is an enthusiastic surfer. With the help of his father's company's engineer Howard he develops a high tech surf board for the coming world surf championship.
But then he falls in love with the singer Jade - and sport, friends and championship become secondary..." )IMDb)

Definitely a fun sports/romantic comedy film this one. It was directed by Vincent Monton, better knows as a cinematographer (Street Hero etc.).

Tom Burlinson and Nicole Kidman were both good. Burlinson was already a star (The Man from Snowy River, Phar Lap) and Kidman wanted to get rid of the kids flicks.
I especially liked the opening sequence, P.C. shows his hi-tech morning routines. Burlinson did most of his wind-surfing sequences himself and it looks great.
Simpson Engineering also looks like a place i would like to work in.

Kidman lip synced the tunes but does it well. Lisa hill sang the original tunes and overall the soundtrack is decent.
Nicole shows some t&a during the love scenes and made sure she´s not in a PG movie anymore [Smile]

Jade performing her latest single "Running Hot".
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched Razorback (1984) which is ultra stylish nature strikes back horror film directed by Russell Mulcahy.

When we are talking about 80s Mulcahy film one can expect wicked editing, smooth cinematography and cool lighting.
This gives just that and more. Add the strange Australian outback feel and the breathtaking landscapes and you´re in for a treat.

Mulcahy became famous by directing music videos for The Buggles, Duran Duran and The Tubes among others and this shows.
No wonder you can hear "New Moon on Monday" in the film. The theme tune is also a very strong composition.
Recommended!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I absolutely love that UK quad poster art Atomik,seen Razorback a few times over the years and I've always enjoyed it but it's one that I have never got around to picking up!

Might look at getting the Australian Blu for it one day if it's not too pricey!

[ 14. September 2016, 14:57: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, i own the UK dvd but never seen the original gore scenes.
I´ve heard that the Umbrella Entertainment releases have those as extra material.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen should be a long any minute now. She loves Razorback. LOL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] With all my heart. It's in my top 10 horrors. It looks gorgeous, it's eerie and weird as anything in places. Those brothers are plain disturbing and you gotta love old Jake. "There's something about blasting the s**t out of a razorback that brightens up my whole day." [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like it, though I don't love it. What did Quentin Tarantino say bout Russell Mulcahy in that Mark Hartley documentary about Australian exploitation films? Something like "He's the poor man's Ridley Scott." That's so true. Some of Mulcahy's early stuff looks especially good, like The Shadow, an underrated film for sure.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Shadow is good indeed. Highlander is of course his masterpiece and i love Ricochet too.

Tale of the Mummy was so ridiculous i still have nightmares about it [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home