iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » Ŧ 80's Movies » Australian 80s films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Australian 80s films
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Careful, He Might Hear You (1983) last night.

Excellent drama set in 1930īs directed by Carl Schultz (The Seventh Sign).
The movie is based on the novel of the same name by Australian-American author Sumner Locke Elliott
and stars Wendy Hughes, Robyn Nevin, Nicholas Gledhill, Peter Whitford and John Hargreaves.

Hughes and young Gledhill were awesome and i liked the score composed by Ray Cook.
One of the best films where we can see the adults' actions from a little boy's point of view.
Recommended!

Special thanks to Lovers with Cassie!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing Beatie Bow (1986)

"A discontented Sydney teenager travels back in time to 1873,
whilst watching an old fashioned children's game." (IMDb)

This was a good family fantasy film directed by Donald Crombie.
The movie is based on the novel by Ruth Park and stars
very pretty Imogen Annesley (Howling III), Peter Phelps, Mouche Phillips and Nikki Coghill.

Rollerskating, great 80s (and 1870s [Smile] ) fashion, Coca Cola as one of the sponsors
and a great theme tune performed by Karen Boddington.

Karen Boddington - Heart to Heart

Special thanks to Lovers with Cassie (again! [Smile] )

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Breaking Loose (1988)

A decent action drama written and directed by Rod Hay.
This movie is a sequel to Summer City (1977, Mel Gibsonīs first feature film).
Havenīt seen that one.
Breaking Loose stars Peter Phelps (Playing Beatie Bow), Vince Martin, Abigail, David Ngoombujarra and Shane Connor.

Solid cast, nice locations, surfing and some gang action.
The trailer shows the action parts but thereīs lots of drama in the middle.

Breaking Loose trailer

-

Megaforce
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7183

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Megaforce   Email Megaforce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iīm going crazy, i canīt buy it...I canīt download it...Canīt even find a picture from any of the scenes of this movie
Iīm talking about Fighting Back from 1982. Fighting Back is set in a hellhole of a slum school. Most of the teachers have given up on the "unreachable" students. Not so idealistic John (Lewis Fitz-Gerald), who channels all his energies into elevating the intelligence and self-confidence of unruly 13-year-old Tom (Paul Smith). The latter actor is so good that it's hard to believe that Fighting Back was his first film. This sincerely-intentioned drama should not be confused with the like-vintage American actioner Fighting Back (aka Death Vengeance).

Posts: 70 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I bought the Aussie Fighting Back VHS tape last year
and was going to watch it last weekend but the tape was damaged [Frown]
I havenīt lost all hope yet but it looks pretty bad.

Iīll be back and at least post the Finnish VHS cover art here.

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dead Calm (1989) ROCKS! Saw that in the theater when it came out. Had me on the edge of my seat! =)

-

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

High Tide (1987)

After losing her job and her car breaks down, a woman ends up staying at a trailer park, where she
accidentally meets her own teenage daughter who she abandoned years before. Her mother-in-law, who raised
the girl, isn't too happy to see her again.

Well acted drama (especially by Claudia Karvan as the teenage daughter), stylishly directed by Gillian Armstrong,
who also did My Brilliant Career, Starstruck, Mrs. Soffel, and Little Women.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Interesting film, i loved Karvan in The Big Steal (1990).
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I bought the Aussie Fighting Back VHS tape last year
and was going to watch it last weekend but the tape was damaged. I havenīt lost all hope yet but it looks pretty bad.

Iīll be back and at least post the Finnish VHS cover art here.

The whole tape, or just a part? VHS's are really easy to fix...
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think that the tape was dirty.
I fast forwarded and rewinded it with a different VCR.
Donīt know if it helped but iīm gonna try and watch it again tonight.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you look at the actual tape itself? Was there anything on it?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The tape looks alright.
I tried to watch the movie again last night but after the first 6 minutes comes the snowstorm [Smile]

Too bad because i liked what i saw, must be a real hard edged movie.
A kid beats his sister because she wants to watch a different channel on tv
and kicks his mother when she comes to help her, a habit learned from his father obviously.

Well, maybe someday iīll find a decent copy so i can watch the rest of the film.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yep... snowstorm is dirt. Do you have self-cleaning heads? Try running a clean tape through it when it snows up?
Megaforce
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7183

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Megaforce   Email Megaforce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atomik I hope you find a new copy again soon, I have started looking for the movie myself and hope to find it this year. Will be interesting to see who can find it first [Smile]
Posts: 70 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really would like to purchase Running On Empty as well.

I will soon be posting the video that I have of it to aTomiK.

I shall be writing a review of it for the Rewind someday.

[ 10. February 2013, 01:23: Message edited by: Lovers with Cassie ]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Just watched this very good, dark and mysterious thriller directed by Phillip Noyce (Dead Calm etc.).
The film stars Richard Moir, Judy Davis, Chris Haywood and Bill Hunter.

Good cast, lots of scheming and politics and a great minimalistic yet atmospheric score composed by Cameron Allan.

Heatwave trailer

Finnish VHS cover art
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well, i watched Rebel (1985).

"This drama is set in World War II Australia, where an American Marine, Rebel is recuperating from wounds suffered in battle.
He is weary of war and is intent on going AWOL and escaping from Australia. He becomes infatuated with a local singer, Kathy and pursues her.
Kathy is married and initially is not interested in him, but later begins to love Rebel." (IMDb)

I was surprised that Rebel was a half musical with 6-7 musical numbers performed on stage.
I liked some of those but the drama part just didnīt work so the movie as a whole was very average.

I like Matt Dillon and on paper, this role seems tailor made for him but somethingīs missing. Debra Byrne did pretty good as Kathy, Dillonīs love interest and star of the show.
I honestly canīt recommend this one, thereīs so much better stuff on offer.

The bar scenes are cool but otherwise the story and the characters arenīt interesting enough
 -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a bummer I was hoping it was going to be at least worth a watch,I knew it had the odd musical number but I just didn't realize how many.

I'll probably still give it go at some point but i was hoping it was going to be as entertaining as say something like 84s aussie shot flick - street hero.

Never mind!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Warrior, have you seen Fast Talking? It's a good 80's movie - sort of a kids movie but good.

Rewind thread link:

http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/10764.html

Some good 80's Australian movies I think are:

Gallipoli (1981)

BMX Bandits (1983)

Phar Lap (1983)

Burke and Wills (1985)

Malcolm (1986)

The Lighthorsemen (1987)

The Shiralee (1987)

Evil Angels A.K.A. A Cry in the Dark (1988)

Young Einstein (1988)

This list is some of my favourite Australian movies. I recommend these as they are the one's I have seen and liked. Hopefully there is a few in this mix that you have not seen.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to mention Harlequin last time [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen fast talking Bernie but heard nothing but great things about it,the old uk embassy vhs/beta tape is pretty hard to come about over here in the uk.

I would like to see it though.

I've seen Gallipoli,bmx bandits,phar lap and the lighthorsemen and there all pretty awesome.

Malcolm is another one which I would like to Check out,also one I've been wanting to watch for years is the Aussie shot Kylie minogue starrer - the delinquents.

Have you ever watched that one Bernie?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Has anyone seen the 1986 Australian flick - dogs in space starring the late inxs singer Michael hutchence.

If so is that any good?

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wow, Dogs in Space looks interesting!
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen Dogs in Space but I would be keen to see it.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Never seen fast talking Bernie but heard nothing but great things about it,the old uk embassy vhs/beta tape is pretty hard to come about over here in the uk.

I would like to see it though.

I've seen Gallipoli,bmx bandits,phar lap and the lighthorsemen and there all pretty awesome.

Malcolm is another one which I would like to Check out,also one I've been wanting to watch for years is the Aussie shot Kylie minogue starrer - the delinquents.

Have you ever watched that one Bernie?

Some legend posted Fast Talking up on You Tube a while ago with pretty good quality. I would watch it while you can cos movies are yanked off YT all the time. It's a super rare movie, even here in OZ.

Fast Talking (1984):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2_QxzCFQA0

Malcolm is an absolute classic! It's a hallmark Aussie movie. I highly recommend it. I have not seen The Delinquents. I remember when it came out at the cinema but the movie has never really appealed to me.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home