iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Australian 80s films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Australian 80s films
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got the VHS of "The Quest" (aka The Go-Kids aka Frog Dreaming) today, really great to see again and it got me thinking, a few of my favourite 80s films are Australian based:

BMX Bandits (1983)
Malcolm (1986) (just found out it's on DVD [Smile] )
The Quest (1986)
Young Einstein (1988)

There must be more but I can't think of them, what other classic 80s kids/comedy films are there that were set in Australia?

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for djcsuperstar   Author's Homepage   Email djcsuperstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a comedy, or kids film persay, but the third (and in my opinion best) installment of the amazing Mad Max series...

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Posts: 146 | From: Pluto | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was obsessed with MAD MAX and MAD MAX 2. Has anyone seen Puberty Blues??? This is my alltime favourite, if you want to see the 'real' aussie upbringing, this is exactly it. Very funny! There also was Moving Out (Vince Colosimo) and his next one Street Hero. Bet no one has seen these ones. I won't keep going 'cos I don't think all the ones I can name were exactly box office big names.
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for djcsuperstar   Author's Homepage   Email djcsuperstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah...duh, that's right...The Road Warrior came out in the early 80's.

Well then...that's TWO movies from the greatest film series ever.

Posts: 146 | From: Pluto | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msbradshaw
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 982

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for msbradshaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...will take a bit to think of 80's Aussie films that I like, aside from BMX Bandits. However, I can add Walkabout (1971), Flirting (1991), and Proof (early 90s?) to the list for other Aussie films. I have Walkabout and Flirting on DVD, but not Proof. If anyone sees it on DVD, let me know. Thanks.
Posts: 22 | From: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anybody is interested, then these other Australian 80s films are well worth watching:

Annie's Coming Out (1984; vt A Test of Love)
Burke and Wills (1985)
Careful, He Might Hear You (1983)
The Club (1980)
Dead Calm (1988)
Dusty (1982)
Evil Angels (1988; vt A Cry in the Dark)
Fever (1987). This is the only example of Australian film noir that I know of.
For Love Alone (1985)
Gallipoli (1981)
Ground Zero (1987)
Hard Knocks (1980)
Heatwave (1982)
Lonely Hearts (1981)
The Man From Snowy River (1982)
Phar Lap (1983)
Squizzy Taylor (1982)
Starstruck (1982)
Stir (1980)
Strikebound (1983)
Unfinished Business (1985)
We of the Never Never (1982)
The Year My Voice Broke (1987)
The Year of Living Dangerously (1982).

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched The Delinquents (1989)

I liked it.
Good love story set in 1950s.
Starring Kylie Minogue and Charlie Schlatter (18 Again!, Heartbreak Hotel).

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Criena Rohan, who wrote the novel on which this is based, is the aunt of tennis player Pat Cash. Ben Mendolsohn was orignally cast for the role that went to Charlie Schlatter. This was intended to launch Kylie Minogue into a career in film stardom, but it failed.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Monkey Grip featuring Christina Amphlett of Divinyls fame.

Also, another Mad Max-like Aussie film called Dead End drive in.

Also, a movie with Michael Hutchence called Dogs in Space which I have yet to see.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shark´s Paradise (1986)

- Well, we have a white guy, a black guy, they are undercover cops, the white guy has a boat...
Sounds familiar?
Yeah, this is Australian version of Miami Vice.

But what we have here is bad acting, bad story and so on.
Some good songs on the soundtrack (Inxs, Split Enz, The Church) can´t save this mess.
So this will only be an interesting curiosity.

-

[ 03. June 2012, 04:15: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their was a really good documentary released called Not Quite Hollywood: The History of Ozploitation. Tons of clips and interviews, lots of Quentin Tarantino, about Australian movies.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razorback, A Cry In The Dark, Picnic At Hanging Rock, Walkabout, Mad Max, The Proposition and Japanese Story are my fave Aussie films.

[ 20. November 2011, 13:14: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aceofspades70
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6247

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for aceofspades70   Author's Homepage   Email aceofspades70       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortress, with Rachel Ward. Best one ever.
Posts: 90 | From: Nashville, TN. | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Malcolm (1986) last night.

It was a good and sympathetic film, i liked a lot.
Directed by Nadia Tass ( The Big Steal), this was her directorial debut.
The movie stars Colin Friels, Lindy Davies and John Hargreaves.
The cast did a good job and i really liked the unique score performed by a group called Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

Malcolm Trailer

-

[ 02. February 2013, 01:49: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Running On Empty (1982)..

great action flick about street racing, described as a cross between Rebel Without A Cause
and Mad Max, and possibly a major influence on The Fast and The Furious movies.

NOT to be confused with the 1988 movie starring River Phoenix !

Here's a short trailer : www.youtube.com?v=JiFsTFaB8mY

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Looks great, i want it!
Seems that it was released in America as Fast Lane Fever.

-

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Looks great, i want it!
Seems that it was released in America as Fast Lane Fever.

-

Ahhh. Saw Fast Lane Fever a year or 2 ago and felt it was a decent flick. Enjoy.

Knowledge request.....how do you know if a flick has a different name at some poin. Also how to find out the original release on vhs.

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched BMX Bandits, cheesetastic! [Razz]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But is it cheesier than your beloved "Razorback"? I don't think so... [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
You need to rewatch [Mad] I honestly find little cheese considering its subject matter. Such a well made film with the biggest horror being the brothers [Eek!] [Smile]
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aforementioned Running On Empty a.k.a. Fast Lane Fever (1982) gets a UK dvd re-release
later this month.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JCWBobC:
Their was a really good documentary released called Not Quite Hollywood: The History of Ozploitation. Tons of clips and interviews, lots of Quentin Tarantino, about Australian movies.

I caught that documentary a while back on netflix and I thought it was terrific! Enjoyed Tarantino very much and the clips were awesome. I recommend it, even if you're not familiar with the Australian titles, definitely a good watch.

"Starstruck" has been in my queue, I just need to check it out. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that great documentary and was amazed at how many Oz films I have not seen. Anyone have a copy of "Lady, Stay Dead," which has never been released on Region 1 DVD?
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Lady, Stay Dead (1981)

Another good and sleazy Australian horror thriller.
Lady, Stay Dead was written and directed by Terry Bourke.
Starring Chard Hayward, Louise Howitt, Deborah Coulls, Roger Ward (Mad Max, Turkey Shoot), Les Foxcroft and James Elliott.

My neighbors bought their first VCR back in the mid 80s
and we got to watch few movies for free (we were young but the store owner let us choose any tape we wanted [Smile] ).
We took about ten tapes and this was one of them.
Now, after some 26 years later, i finally got the VHS tape and saw the movie again.

"Millionairess actress-singer Marie Coleby lives in a luxurious villa on a deserted beach.
One afternoon following a TV commercial shoot at the villa she incites gardener Gordon Mason to mayhem and murder.
The unexpected arrival of Marie's sister Jenny Nolan hinders Mason's attempts to dispose of the body.
He then decides to kill Jenny. But she is equally determined to stay alive ... so begins a battle of wits.
Jenny's salvation seems at hand when two security men arrive at the villa, but only one,
Officer Collings survives the initial siege.Then Jenny is alone to face Mason for the final time ..."

Fun little Ozploitation movie but be warned, lots of disturbing behavior on offer in this one.

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Squizzy Taylor (1982)

This was a pretty decent film set in the 1920s and based on the life of Melbourne gangster, Squizzy Taylor.
Directed by Kevin James Dobson and starring David Atkins, Jacki Weaver, Alan Cassell, Kim Lewis,
Michael Long, Robert Hughes, Cul Cullen and Steve Bisley.

The cast was good and i liked the lighthearted feel although the movie has its violent moments.

-

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home