iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Anyone seen a movie called Star 80??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone seen a movie called Star 80??
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody recall a movie about the murder of Dorothy Stratten 1980's Playmate of the year??? It starred Mariel Hemmingway and Eric Roberts in his finest performance ever. Cliff Robertson played Hugh Hefner. I'm actually wondering if anyone saw the documentary about Dorothy. I use to rent the movie one week and the documentary the next. I was obsessed for a while. Does anyone know what I'm talking about??? I would love to see either one again. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure do. Just learned of it the last few years. First I saw the E! THS and then rented the film. Both are great depictions, though the film really toned down her final moments. "STAR 80" was her license plate I believe.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leopardpantsmoodlipstick
Rewinder
Member # 916

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Email leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a friend of mine and i went shopping around x-mas time and she spotted this movie at walmart for $5.88.I bought it for her.I have been waiting to see this.She says how good it was.I will let you know what i think when i see it.Hopefully soon... [Razz]
Posts: 34 | From: CT,U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leopard...You won't be dissapointed. Tell me what you think of Eric Roberts portrail of the boyfriend. I really think he was outstanding. Try and track down the documentary if possible and watch it first. [Smile]
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
Mcfly, STAR 80 was her number plate but I believe Paul Snyder had bought her the car remember...trying to win her over. He got the plates supposedly for her but really for his ego. Thanks for answering, no one I know has a clue what I'm on about half the time. [Razz]
DeaditebyDawn
Senior Rewinder
Member # 140

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for DeaditebyDawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gonna make the same point you made Akita, that Eric Roberts was really great as Paul in that movie. I also really thought the storytelling was interesting, sort of reverse documentary told through a lot of pictures and recreated interviews..
Posts: 63 | From: Baltimore, MD (school)/ Huntington, WV (home) | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
I agree...I'd never seen a movie made in that fashion before. I liked it alot. Another fabulous Eric Roberts movie is either My Party or something to do with a party....it's about Eric Roberts being gay and dying of AIDS and he hosts a party in which he plans to kill himself at the end of the evening. Have you seen this one...it's not 80's but really worth a look. Can't remember the title though. Sorry. [Confused]
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DeaditebyDawn wrote, in part:
quote:
[snip]...I also really thought the storytelling was interesting, sort of reverse documentary told through a lot of pictures and recreated interviews.
That is true, although the technique isn't new. The old 1940's classic "Citizen Kane" was also made in a similar fashion: telling someone's life story through various person's point of view in flashbacks and interviews.

"Star 80" was directed by Bob Fosse, and he also made another show-biz biography movie called "Lenny" (1974), and he used the same filmmaking technique.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home