iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Top Five Time! What 80's Movies Take You Back?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top Five Time! What 80's Movies Take You Back?
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need a good old fashion poll on here, to hopefully get some activity and discussion going. I want to know what everyone's top five is, for 80's movies, that transport you back to your youth. The movies that give you the strongest feeling of nostalgia. Remember, this isn't nescisarrily your favorite movies, or the movies that have the most 80's vibe. This is a personal top five of movies that give you a strong feeling in your heart, of this time period we're so fond of. The 80's!

I'll post my top five shortly. I look forward to seeing what everyone posts!

Posts: 702 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Caddyshack
2. Ghostbusters
3. Weekend at Bernie's (Obviously)
4. Christmas Vacation
5. The Terminator

Caddyshack is the movie I have seen more than any other. So many hours of my youth "wasted" watching that.

Ghostbusters is the first movie I remember seeing at home on VHS.

I saw Weekend at Bernie's and Christmas Vacation at the cinema and so many others between 88 and 91 so it brings back that nostalgic feeling of going to the movies.

Oh, and a bonus number 6 is The Boy Who Could Fly. It's a great movie that has a profound nostalgic effect on me.

Posts: 2603 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a couple movies that were definitely going to be in my top five. I wanted to browse some "top 80's movies lists," to jog my memory, and make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. As I did, and saw posibilities for my list, I realized, the movies were going to skew more towards kid/family movies. That makes sense, as I was born in 1980. I've of enjoyed 80's movies in two phases of my life. The first was as a kid, watching movies in the 80's and well in to the 90's. That was a time when I mainly saw family friendly type movies. I then went through another phase in my 20's and now 30's, where I craved rewatching movies, I'd maybe only seen once or twice, but was too young to appreciate. I also learned about several new gems from this site, that I had never seen. So here comes my list, which is much different than a top five favorite 80's movies list.

1.) Field of Dreams - I loved baseball and still do. My dad loves baseball. When I watch this movie, I'm instantly reminded of being a kid, sitting in my living room, with the windows open and a cool summer breeze blowing in. I love this movie and the end still get's me every time!

2.) Big - Funny, goofy, would send my mind dreaming of the future, when I'd be older and could make my own rules. Eat Oreos in bed and have a trampoline in my house.

3.) Goonies - I'm guessing this one will pop up on a lot of people's top 5, if they are around my age. We wanted to be like the Goonies when we were young. To have grand adventures. This movie brings back strong feelings of being a kid again.

Here's where it get's really tough for me!

4.) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - I think this trumped a few others, that were neck and neck with this one, just out of sheer volume of times watched. We watched this movie so many times as kids. My Brothers and I would reenact scenes from Temple of Doom all the time.

5.) A Christmas Story - This one is tough, because it doesn't take place in the 80's, so I wasn't quite sure if I should put it in. But it's an 80's movie, and boy does it take me back to being a kid. Heck, it's the reason my brother and I got BB guns! As an adult, the scene when the parents are sitting in the living room, with nothing but the Christmas tree lights on, as the snow is falling outside, is one of my favorite Christmas Movie Scenes of all time.

I hate to do an honorable mention, but I have to. I had so many that could have been 4th or 5th.

Karate Kid
Back to the Future
Willow
ET
Police Academy 3
Ghostbusters

Posts: 702 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Bernie - I still remember when my dad brought home a VCR from the store and also bought two movies. I can't remember the second one, but I still can remember seeing the cover of Ghostbusters. That was the first movie we watched on our new VCR too!
R Deckard
Rewind Curious
Member # 37565

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for R Deckard         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question, one I've actually been thinking about lately. It's funny how some movies you see, and don't even realize at the time, but they have such a lasting affect on you. Is it the film itself? Or perhaps who you're with or what you're going through at that particular time. Here's my list in no particular order.

1) Dune ('84)
2) Teen Wolf ('85)
3) Legend ('86)
4) Ferris Bueller's day off ('86)
5) Back to the Future ('85)

I noticed after making the list that they are all from '84-'86. Interesting, I'm not quite sure what that means. I could easily list another 5 that evoke just as strong feelings of nostalgia if not down right melancholy.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gecko, I was born in 81 so we grew up in the same era totally. Big is definitely on the list for me. Another movie from 88 that I saw at The cinema aswell as Willow. Definitely remember watching Temple of Doom back in the day but The Last Crusade brings back more memories for me.

Saw Teen Wolf at the movies in 85. It was the first time I remember seeing anything in a cinema.

[ 15. May 2019, 19:56: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2603 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R Deckard
Rewind Curious
Member # 37565

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for R Deckard         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 more

1) Heavy Metal
2) Witness
3) Conan
4) Blade Runner
5) Krull

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pghgirl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37571

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pghgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goonies
Back to the Future
Revenge of the Nerds
Back to School
St. Elmo's Fire

Posts: 88 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pghgirl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37571

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pghgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big
Karate Kid

Posts: 88 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was born in 73 and my parents were pretty lenient with what I watched and some of these I was watching probably way before I really should have been and its not a top 5 as such but here's a few movies that do take me back -

10 To Midnight,The New Kids,Stir Crazy,Party Animal,Young Warriors,First Blood + Rambo First Blood Part 2,The Boys Next Door,Psycho 2,Streets Of Fire,Revenge Of The Nerds,The Evil That Men Do,Tuff Turf,Caddyshack,Mutant,Poltergeist 1+2,Goonies,Police Academy 2,National Lampoon's Vacation,The Karate Kid.

A couple of 70s movies that also really take me back but to the early to mid 80s when I first ever watched them are Monty Python's Life Of Brian, Blazing Saddles and Midnight Express.

[ 19. May 2019, 13:51: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3605 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home