iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2018) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2018)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It´s here again, 31 days of horror!

-

Started with Happy Death Day (2017)

"A college student must relive the day of her murder over and over again, in a loop that will end only when she discovers her killer's identity." (IMDb)

This was entertaining Groundhog Day influenced horror comedy with good cast and ideas.
The main star Jessica Rothe did very well and i liked the film´s message. Sequel coming early 2019. Recommended! 8/10

Posts: 7332 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
🎃🧛

Tonight:

-

"After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesiac, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality."

First time viewing. I'm looking forward to finally watching this.

Mulholland Drive 8/10

Wow, what a mind ****. I guess typically Lynch. It's a great movie, one that I'll be re-watching again very soon.

Main Theme

^ Beautiful. Angelo Badalamenti is a genius.

[ 02. October 2018, 09:23: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1558 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Nude per l'assassino aka Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)

Sleazy giallo directed by Andrea Bianchi but not quite what i was expecting.
The film includes lots of skin (lovely Edwige Fenech and Femi Benussi star) but the murder sequences were pretty lame with no excitement at all. 6/10

Posts: 7332 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Four men set out in the Wild West to rescue a group of captives from cannibalistic cave dwellers."

Another first time viewing. Looks good.  -

8/10

Well I was right -- I really enjoyed this one. Some scenes were almost too realistic. 🤢🤢

Great performances from the entire cast. Definitely worth watching. (As long as you've got a strong stomach)

[ 04. October 2018, 01:05: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1558 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Extremely entertaining horror mystery from the makers of 2015's Turbo Kid about a 15 year old lad (who's a bit of a conspiracy theory nut) and his group of buddies who spend there days and nights chasing girls,hanging out at the arcades,playing manhunt etc etc basically living there life without a care in the world but all of this soon changes when they believe they have a serial killer living on there doorstep!

I can see why people are making the comparisons towards the Netflix series Stranger Things what with the group of teen boys,80's setting and so on but this is a lot more adult in content and takes quite a sinister violent turn towards the films finale which might surprise some as up until then it is relatively bloodless!

Distinct 80s feel with the fashions,video arcades and Bananarama's Cruel Summer on the soundtrack this was great fun and kept me engrossed throughout its 1hr 46 minute running time!

-

Well worth checking out! 8/10.

https://youtu.be/Lxj0mgS3fRg - Summer Of 84 trailer (2018).

Posts: 3495 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
😲 Want!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
What J2ME said!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Madhouse aka There Was a Little Girl (1981)

"A woman is pursued by her murderous, psychopathic twin sister in the days leading up to their birthday."

Simple story but i liked the atmosphere and this italian film was very well made.
Madhouse was shot in Savannah, Georgia and i liked the cast although there are no big stars.
This was one of those UK video nasties and it includes 2-3 very violent scenes. Pretty cool stuff! 7/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Next:
 -

Evilspeak (1981)

"An outcast military cadet taps into a way to summon demons and cast spells on his tormentors through his computer"

Another first time viewing. Will it be another winner -- probably not, but I've been meaning to check this one out for a while anyway.

Rating: 7/10

Well, I enjoyed it. [Smile] It's a nice slow burner, with an explosive final 15 mins.

Making of Evilspeak

[ 04. October 2018, 11:44: Message edited by: J2ME ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Evilspeak rocks!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Mirror Mirror (1990)

"A teenage girl begins receiving black magic power through an antique mirror that drips blood, not realizing the mirror is controlled by demonic forces." (IMDb)

This was a typical early 90s b-horror film. The films stars Karen Black, Rainbow Harvest, supercute Kristin Dattilo and hot Charlie Sprandling.

Bullied schoolgirl gets her revenge but can´t handle the power, we´ve all seen this before.
Decent low-budget stuff with cheap synth score and ok acting. 5/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Two pretty obnoxious high school kids continuously prank there elderly neighbor Harold Grainey (James Cann) into thinking he's being haunted and catch it all on microscopic cameras they have installed in his home as part of a haunting experiment they are conducting!

Whilst filming they become shocked by his sometimes bizzare behaviour and wonder why he's spends his nights down in his basement which at all other times he keeps padlocked!

I think I actually visited this round about this sort of time last year and it's a well made suspense drama with a terrific performance from James Cann and plays out a lot,lot different to what I was expecting with quite a sad twist in the tale!

German Blu Ray (I think one of the only territories it was released on Blu) features a decent wide-screen print and a 5.1 DTS HD German, English soundtrack with the films trailer and interviews with James Cann plus the films two main protagonists Keir Gilchrist and Logan Miller.

Great stuff! 8/10

https://youtu.be/wIXTB9wtqxA - The Good Neighbor trailer (2016)

-

[ 04. October 2018, 09:29: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3495 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah definitely check out Summer Of 84 it's an excellent watch and Evilspeak is a lot of fun J2ME.

Not sure whether I have seen Mirror Mirror or not Atomik but I like the late Karen Black and Charlie Spradling who I remember well from the fun Meridian (also 1990) alongside the beautiful Sherilyn Fenn.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Devil´s Due (2014)

"After a mysterious, lost night on their honeymoon, a newlywed couple finds themselves dealing with an earlier-than-planned pregnancy.
While recording everything for posterity, the husband begins to notice odd behavior in his wife that they initially write off to nerves, but, as the months pass,
it becomes evident that the dark changes to her body and mind have a much more sinister origin." (IMDb)

This was a good "antichrist theme" film with strong Rosemary´s Baby influences.
The cast starring Allison Miller and Zach Gilford did good and i enjoyed the eeevil atmosphere. While shot mostly with hand-held camera, this is not a "found footage" film. 7/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Next:

-

"A powerful virus is unleashed on the British public following a raid on a primate research facility by animal rights activists. Transmitted in a drop of blood and devastating within seconds, the virus locks those infected into a permanent state of murderous rage. Within 28 days the country is overwhelmed and a handful of survivors begin their attempts to salvage the future, little realising that the deadly virus is not the only thing that threatens them."

28 Days Later (2002)

8/10

I had forgotten how intense this movie was. A modern classic.

John Murphy - In The House - In A Heartbeat (28 Days Later Score)

[ 08. October 2018, 15:35: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Huge horror flick fan from way back. Here are some comments on some of the recent films mentioned:

"28 Days Later" is a masterpiece of modern horror. I first saw this film in the theater back in Summer 2003 (U.S.), and was completely pulled into this world from the opening scene. Very visceral & rough - the intentionally gritty PQ added to the intensity of the story. To some extent, the whole film felt like an extended news documentary - and I mean that as a compliment. I also liked how the "zombies" in this film moved very quickly, which separated them from the typical "slow" zombies from The Night of the Walking Dead & related movies; also, these "zombies" were actually still "alive", IIRC - which also was a big difference from what had come before.

The follow-up film "28 Weeks Later" is also worth checking out.

I did see "Devil's Due" and that's a quite creepy movie; the hand-held camera aspect adds to the realism.

Never heard of "The Good Neighbor", but big fan of James Caan - so will have to check that out. Glad to see Caan is still acting.

Posts: 479 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

1999 Neil Jordan (The Company Of Wolves) serial killer thriller that has a nonsensical plot but is redeemed somewhat by being both stylishly shot and featuring fun but O.T.T performances from Annette Bening and Robert Downey Jr.

Picturesque Massachusetts settings help as well plus some great atmospheric music from US composer Elliott Goldenthal that fits the movie perfectly!

Has its flaws but still entertaining enough and I quite enjoyed it overall! 7/10.

https://youtu.be/hIOCUYUYKpc - Dream Baby by Elliott Goldenthal that features on the soundtrack of In Dreams.

https://youtu.be/YrRlBd0IDOo - In Dreams trailer (1999).

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Other (1972)

"In the summer of 1935, 12-year-old twins Niles and Holland Perry live with their family on a Connecticut farm.
Their loving grandmother Ada has taught them something called "the game." A number of accidents begin happening, and it seems to Niles that Holland is responsible.
It is Ada who begins to see the truth, and she is the only one who can stop this macabre game of murder." (IMDb)

This was a good psychological horror film featuring nice cinematography (Robert Surtees) and Jerry Goldsmith score.
A big twist after one hour or so and wicked 70s "not so happy" ending. Recommended! 8/10

-

The Dead Next Door (1989)

"An elite anti-Zombie team is assembled by the Government to cope with an ever-growing undead infection and the religious cult zealots who fanatically protect the festering foes." (IMDb)

This was a charming late 80s independent zombie flick written and directed by J.R. Bookwalter, shot on Super-8 (1985-86).
Bad acting, fun death scenes with lots of blood and Zombie Squad vs. evil cult action.

The 88 Films blu-ray includes nice 20 minute documentary featuring the mastermind himself. 6/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Just started watching this 1982 classic!

-

"A research team in Antarctica is hunted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of its victims."

9/10

What can I say? One of the best movies ever! Yeah, that'll do! [Razz]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Revenge of the Radioactive Reporter (1990)

"A young newspaper reporter becomes a horrible crusty-faced zombie following a radioactive contamination." (IMDb)

Super lame low-budget horror comedy with few decent kills, annoying characters and lousy jokes. 3/10

-

House of Wax (2005)

"A group of unwitting teens are stranded near a strange wax museum and soon must fight to survive and keep from becoming the next exhibit." (IMDb)

Surprisingly entertaining remake including ok cast, nice atmosphere and cool finale. 7/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Next:

-

"During the latter half of 1888 a notorious serial killer nicknamed Jack The Ripper terrorises the East End of London by murdering prostitutes in a terribly violent way. Public outrage follows. Inspector Frederick Abberline is assigned to the case but finds that it is not just a simple murder enquiry. Based on a real life event, this film claims to have had access to top secret Home Office files and believe that their ending is the correct solution to the age old mystery."

- /10

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Haunting (1963)

"A scientist doing research on the paranormal invites two women to a haunted mansion. One of the participants soon starts losing her mind." (IMDb)

Atmospheric supernatural thriller directed by Robert Wise. Enjoyable stuff and includes few very nice shots but not quite as good as i hoped it would be. 7/10

-

American Gothic (1987/88)

"On a lonely island in the Pacific Northwest, a group of travelers find themselves targeted by a crazed, homicidal family." (IMDb)

This was quite silly horror comedy directed by John Hough. Decent craziness [Smile] 5/10

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad Dreams (1988)

-

Broke out this old favorite of mine for a re-watch. Though it is very similar in tone to A Nightmare on Elm Street 3; right down to starring Jennifer Rubin who also had a role in Nightmare 3, I still think it's a pretty sweet unsung gem of the 80's. And it has a great cast of other good actors of the 80's including: Bruce Abbott, Dean Cameron, E.G. Daily, Susan Barnes, Susan Ruttan, and Richard Lynch. So this is one I definitely can recommend checking out if you can find it and haven't seen it yet.

BAD DREAMS TRAILER

[ 11. October 2018, 12:37: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1778 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Bad Dreams is awesome Pyro and I quite enjoy American Gothic or Hide And Shriek as it was known here in the UK.

-

I watched Leprechaun for the first time and though obviously extremely silly I found it to be pretty good fun with Warwick Davis giving it his all as the evil little Leprechaun who is hellbent on finding his lost gold coins.

The effects work was decent enough plus there's a few good laughs here and there whether intentional or not and to top it all of a performance from a very young looking Jennifer Aniston of whom I'll be honest I'm not the biggest fan of but I found her to be a lot less annoying here than what is her usual!

Not sure how the many sequels measure up but this was more enjoyable than what I was expecting so I might well check them out at some point down the line!

Entertaining comedy horror 6/10.

https://youtu.be/qRdUKkxYzXk - Leprechaun trailer (1993)

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Camp Fear (1991)

Super lame ultra low-budget flick starring Vincent Van Patten and Betsy Russell.
George "Buck" Flower was the funniest character with his "Devils and Demons" mantra and of course i enjoyed the sorority boobfest during the first five minutes [Big Grin] 3/10

-

The Pact (2012)

"As a woman struggles to come to grips with her past in the wake of her mother's death and the disappearance of her sister, an unsettling presence emerges in her childhood home." (IMDb)

This was good and intense supernatural mystery film with a serial killer twist. 7/10

-

Alice, Sweet Alice aka Communion aka Holy Terror (1976)

"Alice Spages is a withdrawn 12 year old girl who lives with her mother, Catherine, and her younger sister, Karen. Karen gets most of the attention from her mother, and Alice is often left out of the spotlight.
But when Karen is found brutally murdered in a church before her first holy communion, all suspicions are turned towards Alice. But is a twelve year old girl really capable of such savagery?
As more people begin to die at the hands of a merciless killer, Alice's family and the police don't know what to believe." (IMDb)

Fantastic mid 70s american giallo with an interesting plot and cool cast.
Great atmosphere thoughout the film and especially Paula E. Sheppard as Alice gives a chilling performance. Highly recommended! 9/10

[ 15. October 2018, 00:30: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home