iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2021) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2021)
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's go  -

October:

Vampira (1974) - 8
Carved (2018) (Short) - 7
Mr. Pumpkin (1987) (Short) - 7
Night Of The Pumpkin (2011) (Short) - 8
Hungry Joe (2020) (Short) - 7
Crappy Christmas (2019) (Short) - 7
Peter The Penguin (2020) (Short) - 6
Meat Market (2021) (Short) - 6
Last Christmas Of The Universe (2019) (Short) - 6
Hospital Dumpster Divers (2020) (Short) - 6
Toe (2019) (Short) - 7
The Foul (20??) (Short) - 8
Cyst (2020) - 6
Mr. Edwards (20??) (Lauder) (Short) - 5
The Nick (2020) (Short) - 5
Bad Candy (2020) - 7
Escalation (20??) (Bachini) (Short) - 7
Werewolves Within (2021) - 7
Momma Don't Go (2019) (Short) - 7
Split (2021) (Dunford) (Short) - 6
Koreatown Ghost Story (2021) (Short) - 8
Ditched (2021) - 7
#Meowtoo (2021) (Short) - 2
Deep Learning (2020) (Short) - 4
Sound Of Violence (2021) - 6
The Lake Parasite (2021) (Short) - 7
Wich (Short) (2021) - 6
Zomblogalypse (2021) - 6
The Dead Centre (2018) - 4
The Guest (2014) (Wingard) - 7
Friday The 13th, Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) - 7
Das Clown (1999) (Short) - 7
Hallowe'en Party (2010) - 6
Traumnovelle (1969) - 7
Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993) - 7
The American Haunting (2011) - 4
ParaNorman (2012) - 9
Jason X (2001) - 7
Abattoir (2016) - 7
The Driller Killer (1979) - 7
Scream In The Dark (1943) - 4
Schizo (1976) - 9
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977) - 9
The Conjuring II (2016) - 7
Born Again (2016) (Short) (Tostevin) - 6
Freddy Vs Jason (2003) - 7
White Zombie (1932) - 10
Friday The 13th (2009) - 6
Mom And Dad (2017) - 6
Game Night (2018) - 7
A Touch Of Sin (2013) - 6
C.H.U.D. (1984) - 10
Parents (1989) - 6
Halloween Kills (2021) - 5
Saint Maud (2019) - 5
Four Sided Triangle (1953) - 5
Casper (1995) - 9
Tales Of Halloween (2015) - 8
Halloween (2007) - 6
The Devil's Men (1976) - 7
Halloween (2018) - 5
Madagascar: A Little Wild - A Fang-Tastic Halloween (2020) - 6
Halloween Heroes (2021) - 5
Vamp (1986) - 7
Dracula (1974) - 8
House Of 1000 Corpses (2003) - 8
Monster House (2006) - 8
Hocus Pocus (1993) - 7
Halloween (1978) - 10
Trick 'R Treat (2007) - 10
Spooky Bats And Scaredy Cats: A Halloween Tale (2009) - 8
Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982) - 10

1st - 5th November:

Terrifier (2016) - 8
Last Night In Soho (2021) - 8
The Book Of Life (2014) - 8
Goosebumps (2015) - 8
Goosebumps II: Haunted Halloween (2018) - 7
Boys In The Trees (2016) - 8
Halloween: The Feast Of The Dying Sun (2010) - 6
Hatchet (2006) - 8
Black Pumpkin (2020) - 6
Kenny & Company (1976) - 8
Halloween II (2009) - 8
V For Vendetta (2005) - 9

[ 06. November 2021, 06:17: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vampira (1974) - That was sooo much fun. One of the most enjoyable horror spoofs. Nice cameos and a great cast in general especially Teresa Graves as Vampira. She was a hoot! I wanna be transported back to that 70s Halloween party that Dracula himself bombs. I just wanna live in the film in general, gorge! Good times! 8/10
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Just watched 3 fun Halloween shorts:

Carved (2018) - 7/10
Mr. Pumpkin (1987) - 7/10
Night Of The Pumpkin (2011) - 8/10

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's Scare Jessica To Death (1971)
 -

Watched this one last night. I remember seeing bits & pieces of this when I was a kid, but never actually watched the whole movie. Now that I have I can say I enjoyed it.

TRAILER

[ 03. October 2021, 16:01: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Great film [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Had a fab time at a 2 day horror film festival!

Feature films rank:

Bad Candy (2020) - I really quite enjoyed this. At first with the whole brat kid part I thought it was just gonna be a straight copy of the wonderful Trick 'R Treat. But while it had the same kind of style the stories and atmosphere are super different. I also think it's one I'll like even more second go. 7/10

Ditched (2021) - This started off a bit ropey and then I thought it was gonna be some daft film about tree monsters haha. But it went a whole other place and really won me around. Good stuff. While not a comedy I thought the ending credits scene was hilarious but had to hold it in as the others in the 70 seat cinema were sitting there deadly serious ha! 7/10

Werewolves Within (2021) - A nice funny comedy with a side dose of werewolf. I didn't see the end coming! 7/10

Sound Of Violence (2021) - This was supposed to be Knocking but they said a week ago that the distributors pulled it from the festivals. Anyway this was a curious little oddity that I did quite enjoy and that ending was just bonkers. Did feel it dragged a bit though. 6/10

Cyst (2020) - This was fun with lots of nice gloopy effects but shoulda been a half hour short not a 1 hour 15 minute feature. 6/10

Zomblogalypse (2021) - I wanted to like this more especially with the main woman and guy being there watching and doing a little Q and A afterwards and they were lovely. Alas it did feel a little repetitive. When it did work though it was hilarious especially the whole scene centred around a sweet. 6/10

Shorts rank:

Koreatown Ghost Story (2021) - 8
The Foul (20??) - 8
The Lake Parasite (2021) - 7
Hungry Joe (2020) - 7
Escalation (20??) (Bachini) - 7
Toe (2019) - 7
Crappy Christmas (2019) - 7
Momma Don't Go (2019) - 7
Peter The Penguin (2020) - 6
Last Christmas Of The Universe (2019) - 6
Hospital Dumpster Divers (2020) - 6
Wich (2021) - 6
Split (2021) (Dunford) - 6
Meat Market (2021) - 6
Mr. Edwards (20??) (Lauder) - 5
The Nick (2020) - 5
Deep Learning (2020) - 4
#Meowtoo (2021) - 2

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just added a bunch of thriller type horror movies to my list on the Tubi app. There are a lot of different horror movies on there. I prefer thrillers. I wish I could find Ghost Story (1981) somewhere free.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Invitation (2015). “A man accepts an invitation to a dinner party hosted by his ex-wife, an unsettling affair that reopens old wounds and creates new tensions.”
This was a very slow moving thriller, making you guess throughout the movie. The last 20 minutes is crazy! Let me know if you have seen this, and what you thought.
I thought it moved a little too slowly. It’s approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes. I would’ve cut it to 1 hour 15 minutes.

Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang. That's a lot of movies Helen. You get a lot of popcorn kernels in your teeth? 😁
I watched some Ghost Ship and Thirteen ghosts

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha, it was so much fun. We were there from 12pm - 10pm on the Saturday and 12pm - 8pm on the Sunday! [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Dead Centre (2018) - Ending was good otherwise Zzzzz 4/10

The Guest (2014) - Old review still stands:

From a few things I'd heard and read this last year I went into this expecting a really intense thriller of sorts not the black comedy that I felt it was. Not necessarily a bad thing. I had a hoot with the ludicrousness of it all, Dan Stevens' facial reactions and just about died at the part when he was described as if he was some sort of Terminator. Also loved that it was set around Halloween, Silver Shamrock masks and all and how it went off into fun slasher mode at the end. Nothing amazing but good fun! 7/10

Traumnovelle (1969) - While I prefer the beautiful, haunting sights and sounds and extra creepy aspects of Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut, this German TV version is also really good. Very dreamy and tense at times. Woulda got a higher score only it died a death the last ten minutes. 7/10

The American Haunting (2011) - I bought it in a 3 for a quid deal forgetting I'd seen this mess years ago and given it a 1/10. So I just went into it to laugh at it and boy did I ever! The Dad's breakdown was the best! 4/10

Also watched a fun short done in the style of a slideshow Das Clown (1999) 7/10 and a Halloween Poirot, Hallowe'en Party (2010) 6/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently saw a new film that won't be released until next year. From Greg Sestero (of Tommy Wiseau's The Room fame): Miracle Valley. It's pretty whacky and a lot of fun. I asked Sestero what influenced him, and he said The Hills Have Eyes and Race with the Devil. Absolutely true. It's a 70s-style throwback film, with much better filmmaking than Tommy Wiseau, but with some goofy, off-kilter humor. Not bad for a first horror film.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
This better not be your one yearly post!!! [Wink] [Razz]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
ParaNorman (2012) - Even better second time around. Just so adorable and had a little tear at the end. 9/10

Abattoir (2016) - I wasn't too sure about this at first. But as the mystery and ghostly atmosphere grew I really got invested. The ending killed me. 7/10

The Driller Killer (1979) - I liked this better than the first time I saw it, but I was expecting something completely different then. The majority of it is like a hangout film just with a different kind of drilling! It bothered me how he kept leaving all of his pizza crusts. The last quarter was wonderfully depressing. 7/10

Scream In The Dark (1943) - Fairly dull murder mystery. Just glad it was only 55 minutes. 4/10

Schizo (1976) - This is brilliant, one of my favourite Pete Walker films. Even though I thought I remembered the outcome it's written and directed so well that I was still questioning everything all the way through. It also has a few savage kills and one of the oddest seance scenes I've ever seen. 9/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977) - Magic 9/10

The Conjuring II (2016) - For just the Enfield Case alone I probably slighty prefer the 2015 miniseries The Enfield Haunting. But as a whole package with The Warrens, bit of Amityville Horror and the nun and that I really enjoyed this, more than the first film. 7/10

Born Again (2016) (Tostevin) - Fun satanic short. 6/10

White Zombie (1932) - "We understand each other better now."

One of the most bone chilling moments of any horror ever! *Shudder* This is my favourite zombie film. I hadn't watched it for a number of years though and I found the time away made that second half in the castle genuinely much more terrifying. I'm so immune that it's rare to have me all shaken during and after a horror film like that. I'm right there with the characters friggin' helpless with the actions of this voodoo lunatic, yikes! And now I keep hearing those horrible sounds of the zombie workers pushing the machinery around and around in the mill! Utterly fabulous film. 10/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Mom And Dad (2017) - Funny but I wanted more Cage freakouts. 6/10

Game Night (2018) - Gets in here by the narrowest of margins. Very similar to Date Night (2010) which I slightly preferred. 7/10

A Touch Of Sin (2013) - More of a crime anthology but hey ho. A very mixed bag. 6/10

C.H.U.D. (1984) - Oh my GOODNESS!!! I cannot believe this is the first time I've watched this film. It is COMPLETELY up my street! A perfect blend of dingy crime investigation/drama/horror. It has well fleshed out likeable characters, perfect pacing, cute monsters, nice splat, grubby arseholes and all that beautiful, beautiful 80s GRAIN, oh how I adore thee <3 So many familiar faces and I particularly loved the guy who ran the soup kitchen who was one of the gits from Home Alone and a really sympathetic copper for a change. I was going to give it a 9 but screw that my mind is blown, wow [Big Grin] 10/10

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I recently saw a new film that won't be released until next year. From Greg Sestero (of Tommy Wiseau's The Room fame): Miracle Valley. It's pretty whacky and a lot of fun. I asked Sestero what influenced him, and he said The Hills Have Eyes and Race with the Devil. Absolutely true. It's a 70s-style throwback film, with much better filmmaking than Tommy Wiseau, but with some goofy, off-kilter humor. Not bad for a first horror film.

Sounds awesome! Hope you come back here more often!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Parents (1989) - Oh, that was disappointing [Frown] Had such a great look, odd feel and fun ending. But so much of it was a whole load of nothing. 5/10

Halloween Kills (2021) - I'd been avoiding lengthy reviews but seen bits and pieces of scathing hate so I just went in to the cinema not expecting much but determined to have a good time anyway. The first 30 minutes or so I genuinely really enjoyed and was wondering what all the moaning was about and then the rest happened. I still had a laugh, well laughing at it and its bloody cringe inducing dialogue though. 5/10

Saint Maud (2019) - The lead was great and it had a wonderfully uncomfortable atmosphere but I was sooo bored at times. Nearly gave up in the middle. 5/10

Four Sided Triangle (1953) - Sci-fi replica machine antics. Coulda been so much more but was a bit of a bore. 5/10

Casper (1995) - Has become a Sep/Oct staple. Raised from an 8 to a 9/10

Tales Of Halloween (2015) - Same as above. Just really good fun. 8/10

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree on Halloween Kills Helen. I only went to the cinema to see this cause it was my anniversary and the wife wanted to see it. I loved the amazing lunch at Casconi's but Its time to put this Halloween Michael myers sequel trash to rest. hollyweird is obsessed with killing as many people as possible pleasing a small portion of its viewers. I didn't find it scary at all.

Lost Boys. I enjoy this due to its nostalgia.

Final destination. I remember liking this in 2000 but seemed pretty friggin stupid yesterday. Maybe im just not in the right mood.

Im intrigued by your White Zombie post Helen

[ 25. October 2021, 10:20: Message edited by: TerdNthePoolGGB ]

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Smile] So you're looking forward to Halloween Ends then haha

I watched Lost Boys again a few months ago and enjoyed it more than ever.

Watched the first 2 Final Destination films a few years ago and liked them but never felt the need to go any further.

Hope you get to White Zombie and enjoy [Smile]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Lol! Absolutely Helen. I cant look forward to Chucky versus Michael and Chucky versus Michael II, Michael takes Manhattan and not even Michael versus the Marines.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Halloween (2007) - Repost from last year as I still feel exactly the same: So this is like the 5th or 6th time I've watched this and I'm still just so conflicted. The early parts are filmed well, the one who plays young Michael is good and I find the scenes in the asylum between him and his Mum genuinely moving. But I just don't need this backstory and for so long as well. I like the mystery. My favourite parts are when Laurie and her friends come into it, all the goofing around and the whole thing looks delicious, couldn't look and feel anymore October. I think Scout Taylor-Compton is ok although much, much better in the second film. I used to really hate the final parts of this cos it just didn't feel enough but I'm coming around a little bit now and the last shot is fab. I feel like my score may increase somewhere down the line but for now sticking with 6/10

The Devil's Men (1976) - This Peter Cushing/Donald Pleasence flick has always escaped me. It's not what I would call a great film, but it was a super comfortable curled up on the couch with Halloween decorations and candles lit mood. Beautiful greek locations, hooded Satanic mayhem, exploding people and ends with this funky little number www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSxjEALmYc What's not to like?! 7/10

Halloween (2018) - Worse on a rewatch. Has now made Halloween Kills look better lol 5/10

Madagascar: A Little Wild - A Fang-Tastic Halloween (2020) - Cute short. 6/10

Halloween Heroes (2021) - Wholesome fun even if did look like a long student youtube vid. 5/10

Vamp (1986) - All sorts of WTH 7/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Dracula (1974) - First time I've seen this Jack Palance version. It was quite lovely. 8/10

House Of 1000 Corpses (2003) - This was just a 6/10 for me first time around but it's really grown on me over the years. Still prefer the overall look and tone of The Devil's Rejects but I was just smiling all the way through this madness tonight. I don't feel the need to watch the other 2 again just yet, just wanted to put this on for all the Halloween imagery mostly. 8/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Bunch of regulars for the last 2 days of October. But as always I continue on until 5th November [Smile]

Monster House (2006) - 8/10

Hocus Pocus (1993) - 7/10

Halloween (1978) - 10/10

Trick 'R Treat (2007) - 10/10

Spooky Bats And Scaredy Cats: A Halloween Tale (2009) - 8/10

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982) - 10/10

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home