iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Interview with Nick on Retro Injection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interview with Nick on Retro Injection
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

38 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

Nick was recently interviewed for the website retroinjection.com about the Rewind and his love for the 80s. Check it out here!

https://www.retroinjection.com/retroinjection/interview-with-nick-alaway-founder-of-fast-rewind-com

Posts: 3643 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 38  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool article - Thanks for the post & link. I like Nick's insight on both '80's films & the current studio films out there. I like movies from all eras, but the '70's & '80's are my favorite decades for movies.

I also liked the conversation about current '80's based - or at least inspired - shows like Stranger Things, The Goldbergs, and Cobra Kai. I have seen all of Stranger Things & most of The Goldbergs (with the exception of S05), and these are fantastic shows set in the '80's with great homages to that decade. Haven't seen Cobra Kai yet, but I know it's based on the '80's Karate Kid films - so, I will check it out at some point.

I also like how the interview touches on why '80's nostalgia is so prevalent these days....and that a lot of this is because we '80's kids want to revisit our youth - when things were simpler (at least they were in my case - LOL). That being said, Nick brought up one of many great points about the '80s' - i.e., that we were all afraid that the world may end tomorrow during that era - very true, and disturbing '80's films like "The Day After", "Threads", and "Miracle Mile" really touch on this fear.

Also completely agree that Blu-ray is the best format in which to watch any films, especially '80's movies. The Picture Quality (PQ) and colors are so much better than even DVD (in most cases) that once you go Blu, you never want to go back.

It's also obvious that many current '80's fans don't even remember that decade, since they weren't even born - or were too young. This just speaks to the iconic nature of that era.

Nick's mention of the iconic 1979 song by The Buggles - "Video killed the Radio Star" - as the inspiration for the site's name was cool, since that's one of my favorite rock/pop songs, especially because it's so insightful & prophetic. The song was actually released in the late '70's, but I first heard it much later - and associate this more with the '80's than any other decade. This is my favorite "video" version of the song - it's a live performance from 2004:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUgF49Rtg7Q

Also interesting was that I've been on this site for several years, and had no idea that it was based in the UK (I'm in the U.S.) Very cool.

[ 06. July 2018, 16:42: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 452 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

483 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Nostalgic [Smile] I genuinely tried to capture what I believe to be the underlying truths of it all.

What I found interesting is that I posted a link from FB and many of my friends and family didn't react at all. I'm guessing that it's because they don't agree with things like "there was a genuine fear that the world might end tomorrow" and would argue that we just got on with life. -And we did. I agree. Like teenagers do, we just joked about it (the use of the word 'nuke' all the time; eg: the microwave being nicknamed "the nuker"), but that for me indicates a constant background fear that everyone was rebelling against...

Posts: 1013 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 483  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice little interview there! It´s finally time to check out Millennium one of these days [Smile]
Posts: 7207 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

483 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
It´s finally time to check out Millennium one of these days [Smile]

You should, its a great idea/story and has moments of brilliance but the depiction of the future is kinda embarrassing lets just say [Wink]
Posts: 1013 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 483  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home