iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Breakfast Club (1985) ; Deleted Scenes (Criterion blu-ray)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Breakfast Club (1985) ; Deleted Scenes (Criterion blu-ray)
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an overview of the deleted scenes as they appear on the recently released Criterion edition of The Breakfast Club.

First of all, about half of the scenes included are actually in the movie as we know it, but appear here in alternate takes.

Some notable scenes that were cut include an extended conversation between Carl the janitor and the five teens.
The 'I-am-the-eyes-and-ears-of-this-institution' talk runs several minutes longer in which Carl predicts the future of all five teens..
and he does it in such a manner that makes even John Bender blush. There's more foul language in this scene than in the rest
of the movie (and may possibly have been the reason it ended up on the cutting room floor).

There's also more interplay between Carl and Vernon in one deleted- and one extended scene.

Several of the deleted scenes involving the teens include a bathroom scene where Claire tries to connect with Allison (to no avail).

Another scene has Allison breaking in to a teacher's locker where she comes across a copy of Prince's 1999 (1982) album.. and then
says to Andrew : ,..You know what this means ? .. They are human !..'

A very funny scene is where the teens are going through the hallways of the school, and need to sneak by an open door to get past
a room where Vernon is standing to get a drink from the soda machine. John goes first, while Claire, Andrew and Brian are a bit
more reluctant. Allison goes last, and without a care in the world she keeps standing in the doorway, looking at Vernon and raising her
middlefinger towards him. Claire reacts to John, Andrew and Brian : ,..She is nuts, but she is cool..'

In the movie as we know it, it was only John who gave an example of how things went down at his home (the paint-in-the-garage scene).
In the deleted scenes we see that also Brian and more importantly Claire did the same, with Claire clearly confessing that her mother is
indeed an alcoholic. This is important because later on, in an argument between Claire and John (as featured in the original movie),
John comes back to this, and says : ,..So you just stick to the things you know : Shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW, and your poor
rich drunk mother in The Caribean..' So, he wasn't really implying Claire's mother was an alcoholic, he just used against her what Claire
already confessed herself. It does make the argument scene a bit more powerful in my opinion, so i wonder why they decided to cut it.

I thought i'd let you all know what the deleted scenes were all about, because i can perfectly understand not everone is willing to buy
yet another copy of The Breakfast Club, as there have already been several dvd editions, a blu-ray (with a VC-1 encoded transfer),
and a 30th anniversary blu-ray (with an upgraded AVC encoded transfer, the same as featured on the Criterion disc).

Posts: 2080 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome write up and thanks for posting that. Really interesting. It would be cool to see these scenes. Definitely gives more back story to the movie as we know it.

On a side note, how did the Criterion Brothers get in to the dvd game? They've come a long way from excavating mortal remains.

Posts: 652 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I already upgraded from the first UK Blu Ray release to the later 30th Anniversary edition Blu Ray and though I've yet to check it out I have heard that there's quite a big improvement in picture quality.

They actually showed this recently at my local flicks as part of there 4k retro weekend but I missed out on it!

Posts: 3355 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
On a side note, how did the Criterion Brothers get in to the dvd game? They've come a long way from excavating mortal remains.

I heard Criterion is still operating out of Red Bud though ! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 2080 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:

I heard Criterion is still operating out of Red Bud though ! [Big Grin] [Razz]
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Love it!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 652 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is this available to view in youtube?
Posts: 200 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that I'll admit has been sticking with me lately for some reason: while we can all agree John Kapolos nailed the part, can anyone else envision John Candy as Carl? Perhaps it's because he always managed to do his best work with Hughes that I can't get the thought out of my mind, but somehow I think he'd have been just as perfect in the role had he been definitively available at the and if it had occurred to Hughes to jump for him. Certainly Candy as Carl would have been visually and emotionally appealing, a perfect counterpoint to Paul Gleason's more overt cold-heartedness as Vernon, and might possibly have opened the door to expanding the character a bit. But of course, perhaps that's just me...
Posts: 2539 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris the CandyFanMan:
One thing that I'll admit has been sticking with me lately for some reason: while we can all agree John Kapolos nailed the part, can anyone else envision John Candy as Carl? Perhaps it's because he always managed to do his best work with Hughes that I can't get the thought out of my mind, but somehow I think he'd have been just as perfect in the role had he been definitively available at the and if it had occurred to Hughes to jump for him. Certainly Candy as Carl would have been visually and emotionally appealing, a perfect counterpoint to Paul Gleason's more overt cold-heartedness as Vernon, and might possibly have opened the door to expanding the character a bit. But of course, perhaps that's just me...

Wow, I instantly could picture that and I love it. He was so good at being a compassionate character. Especially one that surprises you. I think he would have been amazing in that role. I'm picturing him in a janitor jump suit, holding a broom, right now, and it's perfect.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I gave this some thought..

Carl the janitor is an interesting character in the context of The Breakfast Club. First of all, the teenagers can get along with Carl
in a much more common way, simply because he isn't their teacher. He doesn't have to grade them, he can't expel or suspend them.
Therefore they don't consider him to be their "enemy". There's no tension between them, as opposed to the relationship between the
teenagers and Vernon.

On the other hand, Carl isn't necessarily a nice guy. The extended 'I-am-the-eyes-and-ears-of-this-institution' scene makes it instantly clear
he isn't the type you wanna mess with. Sure he can take a joke, but there's also a limit to how far you can take it. Even John Bender knows it !

I don't think John Candy could have pulled it off that way. He probably would have made Carl a gentler, more fatherly figure type of guy.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, and perhaps you're right. It's simply that, as noted above, for me at least Candy's so ingrained in the overarching fabric of the "Hughesiverse," for lack of a more proper name, that one half expects to see him pop up somehow in each film even if there'd be no clear place to put him. Indeed, in my fan writings over the years, I've taken this thought and run with it, adding clear Candy characters to several stories based off the Hughes canon from films in which he either didn't appear or did so only tangentially--including my BC story, where I had him play a perhaps more doable for he Clarence Oddbody/Christmas Ghost type of character (the link for any interested is:

<https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5789367/1/First-Prize>

Posts: 2539 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home