iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Black Rain is an overrated film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black Rain is an overrated film
DeuceWild
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37522

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DeuceWild   Email DeuceWild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "Black Rain", besides the great visual style and Michael Douglas' performance is largely overrated as a fan's favorite of the genre.
If you throw 45 per cent of "The Yakuza", 30 per cent of "Red Heat" and 25 per cent of "Year of the Dragon" this cocktail mix will be called "Black Rain".
Scott's decline started earlier with the so-so "Someone to Watch Over Me", once again a stylish looking thriller, but overlong, a bit boring and at the end, lacks juice...
Scott's had his peak at "Blade Runner" and since then never delivered again another masterpiece (even if i like "Legend" a lot...)

[ 11. December 2017, 19:39: Message edited by: DeuceWild ]

Posts: 53 | From: Sintra, Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Dec 2017 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree. Black Rain looks great, super great, but it's a routine policier. I don't think that Someone to Watch Over Me is very good either. Scott is one of those directors who really is beholden to the material. When it's great, like Alien or Blade Runner, he is a visionary director. When it's not outstanding, like GI Jane or White Squall, then he comes off as merely competent.
Posts: 2103 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeuceWild
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37522

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DeuceWild   Email DeuceWild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, i couldn't have said it better. Even "Gladiator" is overrated, great performances all around, but Scott never was a great actor's director, so maybe the cast in "Gladiator" were so damn good that directed themselves in their top performances. Besides the battle at the beginning which i consider skillfully staged, the movie lays too much on fake sets / CGI, especially at the Coliseum, and like "Black Rain is such a re-hash of the movies i've mentioned, "Gladiator" is a mix of "Spartacus" with "The Fall of Roman Empire" and because of that it became way predictable.

Entertaining as a sunday afternoon flick ? yes!
Masterpiece? hell.. no !!

Posts: 53 | From: Sintra, Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Dec 2017 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott is a visually creative director, but not generally so good with acting, and you are right about Gladiator: all that CGI blood too. It's just a modern day version of stuff that you'd see on TV on Saturday afternoon in the 1970s.
Posts: 2103 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to like Black Rain very much, one of the best films that came out in ´89.
Yeah it offers nothing new and it´s (racial) values are dated but i enjoy the cast, scenery & locations, settings, Hans Zimmer score and Jan de Bont cinematography. Really cool film IMO.

Overall i think that you are right about Ridley Scott, only two stone cold classics.
He has many entertaining films in his cv but Alien and Blade Runner are his masterworks.

Posts: 7260 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
aTomiK, don't get me wrong, I don't hate Black Rain. It's gorgeous looking and the acting certainly is fine, but as you said, it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It's worth seeing though. Someone to Watch Over Me Looks great too and the acting is OK, but it's even more tepid. That one comes off like a great looking TV-movie.
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how you consider a film that has a 52% on Rotten Tomatoes to be overrated.
Posts: 3805 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeuceWild
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37522

Rate Member
Leo Logan, even if it had 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, i still consider "Black Rain" extremly overrated, for the reasons i've mentioned and some others mentioned by Crash.
Besides the stylish visuals, the movie is empty, generic & formulaic like the majority of Scott's films, except for the obvious "Alien" and "Blade Runner" and maybe, "Legend".
"The Yakuza" and "Year of the Dragon", the two more than obvious inspirations for "Black Rain", are far superior films and i even prefer Walter Hill's "Red Heat" over "Black Rain" every day of the week.
It's the typical case of "style over substance", but that's my opinion, like probably you, i know several fans of "Black Rain", but more because is a "Ridley Scott film" than the movie itself, the same way people trend to love more "Full Metal Jacket" than "Apocalypse Now", "The Deer Hunter" or "Platoon", just because is a "Stanley Kubrick film" even if "Full Metal..." can't hold a candle to "Platoon".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home