iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The deleted octopus sequence in "The Goonies"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The deleted octopus sequence in "The Goonies"
DeuceWild
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37522

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DeuceWild   Email DeuceWild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still remember when the movie came out in '85, we kids discussing about the "dangerous octopus" sequence mentioned by the Data character at the end of the movie.
In that time, way before the DVD Era and the "deleted scenes", we were intrigued about it.
When the DVD came out in 2003 / 2004 i was one of the first in my country to buy it and finnally, got to see the famous sequence.
I don't know if that scene could have worked better if it was originally inserted in the movie when i've watched it at 9 years old, but as an adult, i think Donner & Spielberg had a great decision to cut it out from the movie.
The sequence feels like a re-hash of the "snake in the campfire" from "Temple of Doom", plus the octopus looks strangely clumsy & cheap (almost in the Cannon Group level of cheapness) for a Spielberg produced movie and the resolution of it, Data throwing his radio, i don't know, it felt a bit unimaginative and forced, it don't work for me...

Anyone feels the same ?

[ 11. December 2017, 19:41: Message edited by: DeuceWild ]

Posts: 53 | From: Sintra, Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Dec 2017 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely needed to be cut. It was farcical and the Octopus looked too fake.

I would like them to have left in the Goonie oath sequence, and I would like to see the filmed Gorilla sequence. I'm not sure if they filmed the raft sequence either, but if they did I would like to see that.

Posts: 3382 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home