iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Rank the "Friday the 13th" franchise (only the ones released in the 80's) !!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rank the "Friday the 13th" franchise (only the ones released in the 80's) !!
DeuceWild
Rewinder
Member # 37522

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DeuceWild   Email DeuceWild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is:

1. Friday the 13th ('80)
2. Friday the 13th Part 2 ('81)
3. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning ('85)
4. Friday the 13th Part III ('82)
5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter ('84)
6. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives ('86)
7. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood ('88)
8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan ('89)

Posts: 34 | From: Sintra, Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Dec 2017 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree basically with how you ranked 'em. Except I wouldn't rank "A New Beginning" so high.
Posts: 139 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeuceWild
Rewinder
Member # 37522

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DeuceWild   Email DeuceWild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "A New Beginning" is not only the most underrated in the franchise, but also one of the most underrated slasher flicks from the 80's. It had balls to go in another direction, instead of recycling Jason again and because of fans didn't liked it as much as the Jason being the killer, the producers went again over Jason for part VI and the series started to decline after that. Don't judge me wrong, i love ole Jason, but Part V was a breath of fresh air and it's very good as a stand alone slasher flick, i love the eerie atmosphere almost surrealistic in parts remembering the gialli films from the 70's, where the 'teen slasher' genre got its origins; the 'whodunit' factor; the decent and creative killings and the isolated location.
I may be alone, but "The Final Chapter", the fan favorite, it's far away of being the best, i never was a great fan, except for the cast which is probably the best in the franchise.

Posts: 34 | From: Sintra, Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Dec 2017 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little iffy on the order of the lot of them. But I know part VII: The New Blood would have to be in the top spot for me because once Kane Hodder took over the role it was a done deal. He was and always will be the best Jason Voorhees in my book. Plus I enjoyed the final showdown between him and Tina Shepherd on top of that.

So I think my order would look a little something like this:

1. VII
2. I
3. II
4. VIII
5. IV
6. III
7. V
8. VI

[ 10. December 2017, 17:13: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1736 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to see part 7 in its uncut form as that seriously got butchered by the MPAA but favorite wise I've always gone with part 3 as I just find it to be so entertaining even when watching it without the 3-D gimmick plus I know how great Kane Hodder was as Jason but I thought that the late British actor Richard Brooker was equally as good at playing the character in part 3.

The only installment from the 80s I didn't like was part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan which I found realy disappointing and thought was a terrible way to end the decade for the series!

[ 10. December 2017, 18:28: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3289 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Part 7 I feel Pyro is a really underatted entry in the series with one hell of a showdown plus I loved the look of Jason's decomposed face in this one when his mask finally comes off towards the end!
Posts: 3289 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing I'd change in DeuceWild's list is to move 7 up. It was surprisingly good for being the 7th in a franchise.
Posts: 139 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here´s my list:

1. Friday the 13th Part 2 ('81)
2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter ('84)
3. Friday the 13th ('80)
4. Friday the 13th Part III ('82)
5. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning ('85)
6. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives ('86)
7. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood ('88)
8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan ('89)

I love parts 1-4. Jason isn´t too powerful so he has to hide in the bushes and i just like the early 80s feel.
I can watch parts V, VI and VII anyday too but Jason Takes Manhattan was pretty bad.

Posts: 6998 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeuceWild
Rewinder
Member # 37522

Rate Member
Agree with aTomiK about prefering the early 80's feel, they were more atmospheric and Jason wasn't that powerful yet, but i include "A New Beginning" in the lot. It was only after part VI, that the series started to go downhill, it became way exagerated with too much comic relief, but there are still watchable, of course, except for "Jason Takes Manhattan" that's an awful one, i own the DVD just because i have the Box, but rarely i put this one to watch...
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Here is my list -

1. Friday The 13th Part 3 3-D (82)
2. Friday The 13th Part 2 (81)
2. Friday The 13th Part 4 - The Final Chapter (84)
3. Friday The 13th Part 6 - Jason Lives (86)
5. Friday The 13th Part 7 - The New Blood (87)
6. Friday The 13th (80)
7. Friday The 13th Part 5 - The New Beginning (85)
8. Friday The 13th Part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan (89)

gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I was surprised how many people liked 3 as much as me! I thought I would have been the only one putting that as my favorite!

Friday The 13th Part 3 3-D (82)
Friday The 13th Part 4 - The Final Chapter (84)
Friday The 13th Part 5 - The New Beginning (85)
Friday The 13th Part 2 (81)
Friday The 13th (80)
Friday The 13th Part 6 - Jason Lives (86)
Friday The 13th Part 7 - The New Blood (87)
Friday The 13th Part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan (89)

Part of me wants to rank Jason Takes Manhattan higher but I don't know where. It's so bad, it's good, in my book. But it's just so baaaaad, so I'll keep it there.

Posts: 628 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home