iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Cheesy Christmas Filmfest Thread (2017) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Cheesy Christmas Filmfest Thread (2017)
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've mentioned this before on here, but the original Black Christmas is a seminal horror film, one of the best. Those telephone calls--"Agnes! Where's the baby?"--will creep you out for a lifetime. And that scene where the killer is ranting and raving on the phone and just before Margot Kidder hangs it up, you hear him say, in a quiet, completely calm voice, "I am going to kill you" is one of my favorite scenes in a horror film. Genius.
Posts: 2087 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, i loved those wicked and scary telephone calls!
...and hated the cell phone mumbo jumbo in the remake. Just another thing they watered down.

Posts: 7173 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Beethoven's Christmas Adventure (2011) - Let's be clear this is no 6/10 qualitywise haha. But I had such a giggle with it and kinda admired how they were so blatant about ripping off Elf, Jingle All The Way, Home Alone and any number of talking animal film  - 6/10

-

Holiday Inn (1942) - Charming [Big Grin] 8/10

-

Dead End (2003) - I remembered this was at Christmas so watched it again. A great black comedy. 8/10

-

12 Men Of Christmas (2009) - 6/10

-

Christmas Is Here Again (2007) - 6/10

-

Trolls Holiday Special (2017) - 6/10

Posts: 3814 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Angels Sing (2013) - 7/10

-

Holy Night! (2011) - 7/10

-

Lovely, Still At Christmas (2008) - Heartwarming, tragic, soul destroying, gorgeous with some of the finest performances I've seen from Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn. 8/10

-

Die Hard (1988) - 10/10

-

The Sure Thing (1985) - I liked this a lot more than in the past. Warm and witty. 7/10

Posts: 3814 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013) - This was friggin' awful but amaze. The Father Christmas was actually a bigger git than Krampus  - I can't believe there is a sequel. Gotta get on that! 5/10

-

Christmas Oranges (2012) - Moving orphan stuff [Razz] 7/10

-

Jingle All The Way (1996) - This will never stop being eons of fun and I will always well up at the having the real turbo man at home line. I DON'T CARE [Razz] The sleazy version of Ned Flanders is the best thing about it, just inspired! 8/10

-

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - 10/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Die Hard just made the U.S. National Film Registry of films of historical significance. I think that The Sure Thing is very funny. John Cusack's speech about why he needs help with his English class is an absolute classic, perfectly delivered as only Cusack can:

"That's right, they start me at the drive-up window and I gradually work my way up from shakes to burgers, and then one day my lucky break comes: the French fry guy dies, and they offer me the job! But the day I'm supposed to start, some men come by in a black Lincoln Continental and tell me I can make a quick 300 just for driving a van back from Mexico! ... When I get out of jail, I'm 36 years old. Living in a flop house. No job. No home. No upward mobility. Very few teeth. And then one day they find me, face down, talking to the gutter, clutching a bottle of paint thinner. And *why*? Because *you* wouldn't help me in English, no! You were too busy to help me! Too busy to help a drowning man!"

Posts: 2087 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

Oh my god, what was this sh.. crap. So annoying and awful [Big Grin]
The only things worth mention here is the amazingly bad but great and tacky theme tune and ten year old Pia Zadora. Pia rules [Smile] 2/10

Posts: 7173 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Trading Places (1983)

Rewatched this very good John Landis film, first time with the fun extra material.
Love the cast and while a bit dry, it´s just so very well made film. 8/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Landis was really on a roll back in the late 70s and 80s with hit after hit: Kentucky Fried Movie, Animal House, The Blues Brothers, American Werewolf in London, Into the Night, and Trading Places. I don't think that a lot of folks give him enough recognition, but he has directed some of the funniest, most successful films of all time. While his career took a massive nosedive later, he's still one of the greats.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Happy Christmas people! Hope you're all having a lovely time [Big Grin]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah had a decent Xmas day thanks Helen but overall i'd say a pretty rotten week as my wife's car has packed up and now mine is playing up.

My planned Xmas viewing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation never happened either but I have managed to squeeze in a few movies but none that you'd really call festive viewing i.e Miracle Mile, Footloose (1984), violent Brit gangster flick Rise Of The Footsoldier etc.etc

Posts: 3385 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched Scrooged (1988)

Entertaining stuff but has it´s problems. This was Bill Murray´s first big role after four year hiatus and he has so much energy he´s all over the place.
The set pieces are great and i liked the movie trailers in the beginning but the ending is a bit too sugary. 7/10

And don´t you think it´s finally time to release the Yule Love It! Edition with all the extramaterial they are keeping in the vaults!?

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better late than never, but I finally bought the new DVD of one of my fave Christmas movies, the TV movie of 'Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' with Charles Bronson and Richard Thomas.
Posts: 3377 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider the 1974 animated version of Virginia's story the very best to date; they hit all the right points within its half hour length and hit them right.
Posts: 2542 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it was a good run this year. Until next year, hope you all had a wonderful Holiday Season. Didn't get to a few movies that I usually watch, so I hope to do better in 2018.
Posts: 657 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say that there's no reason to only wait until Christmas to watch Christmas-related films. I wanted to watch a lot of films around the holidays in November/December 2017, but didn't get to some of them until this past week:

Recently re-watched "The Ref" (1994) on the old DVD, and found the film to be just as hilarious as I remember - and maybe even funnier. Great story & fantastic acting. This is a great film to watch not just around the holidays, but at any time.

One of my favorite scenes was when the extended family went out to eat at a fast food place right before going to Christmas dinner with Judy Davis & Kevin S. - because they hated JD's cooking - LOL.

Also hilarious was Dennis Leary pretending to be "Dr. Wong", the marriage counsel therapist - LOL.

Also recently re-watched "Nothing Like the Holidays" (2008). I find this to be an extremely underrated Holiday/Christmas film, and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention/discussion.

The acting & story are great, and it's very poignant - without being sappy. Al Molina does a fantastic job as the father who is going through a serious crisis, which is misinterpreted by his wife (the late Elizabeth Pena) - causing some serious issues.

The film does a good job of balancing humor & seriousness.

I've never lived in Chicago, but used to go there on a semi-regular basis years ago - great city. One of my favorite scenes in the film was near the beginning, when Jesse (the returning war veteran) has his friends stop the car in Humboldt Park, so he can go to the top of the hill & see the downtown Chicago skyline in the distance- which he hadn't seen for quite some time.

Also wanted to note that the colors in this film are great - though some may find them too bright/vivid, I think they fit the storyline/season.

The film is also relatable to anyone who has gone home after an extended time away, and finds how much has changed with friends & family in your absence.

[ 05. January 2018, 10:42: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 428 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home