iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Cheesy Christmas Filmfest Thread (2017) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Cheesy Christmas Filmfest Thread (2017)
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Join me! [Smile]

November:

3 Day Christmas (2012) - 6
Wonder (2017) - 8
The Reckless Moment (1949) - 7
Christmas Grace (2013) - 4
The Family Stone (2005) - 8

December:

Beethoven's Christmas Adventure (2011) - 6
Holiday Inn (1942) - 8
Dead End (2003) - 8
12 Men Of Christmas (2009) - 6
Christmas Is Here Again (2007) - 6
Trolls Holiday Special (2017) - 6
Angels Sing (2013) - 7
Holy Night! (2011) - 7
Lovely, Still At Christmas (2008) - 8
Die Hard (1988) - 10
The Sure Thing (1985) - 7
Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013) - 5
Christmas Oranges (2012) - 7
Jingle All The Way (1996) - 8
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - 10
A Christmas Carol (1999) - 8
Elf (2003) - 9
Holiday In Handcuffs (2007) - 6
A Christmas Melody (2015) - 6
Spencer Jones' Christmas (2015) - 7
Pappy's Christmas (2015) - 8
Lolly Adefopfe's Christmas (2015) - 6
Nativity! (2009) - 5
Jack Frost (1998) - 7
Surviving Christmas (2004) - 7
Gremlins (1984) - 10

January:

[ 20. December 2017, 09:55: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 3814 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

3 Day Christmas aka 3 Day Test (2012) - It was ok. Guy keeps family in house for 3 days without water, heating, power etc so they can reconnect. 6/10

Wonder (2017) - This was such a gorgeous film. Heartbreaking, heartwarming. And just so much more than what I thought I would get out of it from the trailer. Full of great acting and characters that made me laugh, cry, wanna hit them etc. I love how it showed certain things from the viewpoint of some characters without feeling repetitive. Plus it had both Halloween and Christmas in so that's a bonus [Razz] 8/10

Posts: 3814 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Lethal Weapon (1987)

Still rockin´ and rollin´. One of the best buddy cop films around and the christmas is a bonus. 9/10

Posts: 7025 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I haven't seen that in yeaaaaaaaars. Gonna make a point to this time [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

The Reckless Moment (1949) - Decent noir with badly decorated Christmas trees all around. I loved James Mason. 7/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried watching Trapped In Paradise (1994) with Nicolas Cage for the first time the other day and it all started out promising enough and was going rather well and then they introduced the Dana Carvey character and my heart literally just sank and after that I felt i couldn't carry on watching any further as it felt like torture!

Will give it another go though at some point!

[ 14. November 2017, 10:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3301 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Young Warrior!!! Hang in there! I think there is a thread or conversation on this board about Trapped in Paradise. I saw this movie in the theatre when I was young and thought I enjoyed it. I then saw it several years later (about 4 years ago or so) and could barely handle it. I gave it another go the following year and enjoyed it. Now I'm pretty excited to watch it this year (last year too). One thing that helped was a fact I learned on this board, if I remember correctly. Dana Carvey is doing a Mickey Rourke impression for his character! That helped ease the pain and kind of make it funny.

Thanks for starting the thread Helen!!

Posts: 632 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just did what the map said; I made 4 lefts." "FOUR LEFTS IS A CIRCLE, YOU IDIOT!!!" It's a bit of an up and down film, but there are more ups than downs, and thus I would recommend it.
Posts: 2531 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like the feel of Trapped in Paradise. The snow storm makes for a great backdrop. Has a good Christmas feel to it, which scores extra points with me.

-

Posts: 632 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Teen Witch (1989)

Charming, inoffensive teen comedy filled with typical 80s montages and several catchy tunes on the soundtrack.

A cute Robyn Lively, Zelda Rubinstein (Poltergeist), Caren Caye (everyone's favorite French tutor), and Lisa Fuller
(who played the not-so-virginal sister in The Monster Squad) star.

The US blu-ray edition released earlier this year comes fully loaded with extra's that are arguably more interesting
than the actual movie.. but hey, who's complaining ?

Girls lockerroom scene (,I Like Boys') : www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLa8jMYQcfY

Posts: 2046 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:

Girls lockerroom scene (,I Like Boys') : www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLa8jMYQcfY

Still a decent enough 80's film. But I always mute the TV or change the channel at this locker room scene. Lol
Posts: 1738 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Christmas Grace (2013) - Ohmygosh, this had some of the most greatest bad acting I've ever seen! All performed like a lot of child actors do. Just repeating learned lines with nothing behind them and then dramatic pauses when they have forgotten the next bit. It was truly a joy to behold haha! My plan is to invent one of the worst childrens games ever also so I too can have a spare 200 grand in my pocket to give away to salvage my rival's business! Just brilliant. 4/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen I can't get over how bad that cover art is and I know I've seen some bad ones over the years but that one takes the cake!

If I hadn't looked closer I would of thought that there heads were on a mantle piece!

Teen Witch is good fun and have it on a double feature US dvd alongside the awesome Heavenly Kid.

[ 25. November 2017, 06:46: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3301 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
If I hadn't looked closer I would of thought that there heads were on a mantle piece!

Oh God, that's hilarious hahaha [Big Grin]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

The Family Stone (2005) - This film seems to get quite a bit of stick but I've always really liked it. Yeah, Sarah Jessica Parker's character is a little tactless and awkward but that family were plain arseholes to begin with. I find it really funny and touching at times and although the partner swapping is a bit of an ick it's nice how it all turns around. I love tension filled family meet ups and this is just great at it. Love the cast apart from Dermot Mulroney who was so dry. 8/10

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely agree that "The Family Stone" is a great Christmas film, with an excellent cast. This should definitely be on anyone's "top 20" list of best Christmas films.

I remember seeing this in the theater back in late '05. Both funny and sad, this really illustrates & emphasizes how important family is - and not just during the holidays.

And, though not purely a Christmas film, the excellent "Home for the Holidays" (1995) is another well-done holiday family movie, set during Thanksgiving. It's directed by Jodie Foster, and stars Holly Hunter.

[ 01. December 2017, 20:35: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Glad you like it too! [Smile] I shall have to see Home For The Holidays!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the late Bob Clark's A Christmas Story (1983) the other night for the first time and really enjoyed it,captures that Christmas atmosphere perfectly and I found it a lot more humourous than what I was expecting it to be and one bit that had me cracking up was a harmless enough gag where the Chinese restaurant workers at the end were attempting to sing Christmas Carols and it was all coming out both badly worded and totally mixed up and I thought to myself that there's no way a scene like that would fly in today's overly PC world especially for use in a family comedy!

The father (Darren McGavin) who was constantly cursing also made me laugh a lot and some of the son's (Peter Billingsley) daydream sequences were fun but the bits that stood out for me most were scenes like where the mum has the youngest son that wrapped up against the winter elements he can't even put his arms down when walking to school as I thought these sort of moments were not only hilarious but pretty spot on!

Really well acted by all and beautifuly shot Bob Clark definitely had some talent though sadly his career finished on quite a low note what with the Baby Geniuses movies which I haven't seen but by all accounts are pretty terrible plus Made For TV movies like The Karate Dog which is also meant to be pretty dismal!

So overall - A Christmas Story is a great festive family comedy that I wish I'd caught years ago! 8/10

https://youtu.be/sMJJNdO36MA - A Christmas Story (1983) trailer.

[ 11. December 2017, 09:06: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
First time seeing A Christmas Story!! That's awesome. I love this movie and just watched it a few nights ago for the first time....this season. One of may favorite Christmas movies. Had me laughing a lot. I think I've grown to appreciate this movie even more. There is a very small scene at the end that has become one of my favorite Christmas Movies scenes. It's the scene after Christmas day, when the kids are in bed, the parents turn off the house lights, and sit in the glow of the Christmas tree, as they watch the snow falling outside. Warms my heart!

Family Stone - is a movie that I used to be ok with, but has now crept way up my list of Favorite Christmas movies. Probably top 5.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again counting holiday specials:

-Ziggy's Gift: it's easy to see how it won the 1982 Emmy for Best Primetime Animated special, as the story of Ziggy using his part (unknowingly undertaken) in a corrupt street corner Santa racket to genuinely make the holidays better for those he encounters is pretty heartwarming. Great writing by script creator Tom Wilson, Sr. with direction from Richard Williams combine for a great special that should be better known than it really is 8/10

-For Better or For Worse: The Bestest Present: Lynn Johnston's comic strip also entered the holiday special market with this one, a pretty good tale of Elizabeth's missing rabbit doll and the (somewhat reluctant) act of kindness to return it by a stranger. This has a nice feeling of Christmas through a child's eyes: shopping in department store toy departments, playing in the snow, and more. 7/10

-For Better or For Worse: The Christmas Angel; the subsequent strip special, produced 7 years later, doesn't quite have as much of a Christmasy feel, but does have an overall better story, with Elizabeth coming to terms with middle child blues. I'd have to say one of the most dramatically intense moments of any Christmas special would have to be the climax, where the rest of the Pattersons are erroneously led to believe she drowned; you can't help forgive them in their grief for their less than exemplary attitudes towards her earlier in the special. 7.5/10

-The Night the Animals Talked; low budget and a bit of a shallow tale of how the residents of that stable in Bethlehem found the power of speech and almost fall prey to human failings. Still, a nice reflective take on how we as humans should try and be better with each other. 6/10

-Mickey's Christmas Carol; this was my first introduction to ****ens' masterpiece, and it still holds up great today. As an adult, I appreciate how there's a nice ominous undercurrent to the story from the moment Scrooge leaves his office at night till the moment he wakes up in the morning. That it builds up to first one of the saddest and then one of the genuinely scariest Christmas Future sequences yet put to film is certainly worth applauding. I'm sure many of we 80s children remember how much of an event it was for network airings in that decade; one can only wish it can become that again. 9.5/10

-Cricket on the Hearth; Rankin and Bass deviated a bit from ****ens' original, choosing to go with the more family friendly B story from the tale as the focus, but for the story they wished to tell, it comes out reasonably good, and Roddy McDowall as the cricket makes for a nice master of ceremonies. 7/10

-The Trolls and the Christmas Express; I do have a soft spot for this Canadian production that reunited a number of the Rudolph voice cast, of a sextet of trolls determined to wreck Christmas and almost succeeding, but being thwarted by the titular vehicle's use by Santa and the elves. 8.5/10

-The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold; my pick for the best 80s Rankin/Bass special, and although it probably would have worked better as an hour long show rather than the half hour it ended up, it's a nice original story of forgiveness, and a genuinely scary villain in Mag the banshee. It also marks the last great Rankin/Bass score, built around the existing Christmas in Killarny. 7/10

-The Glo Friends Save Christmas; in essence another half hour toy commercial with the familiar Santa Needs Saving storyline, but they make the best of it. 7/10

Posts: 2531 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Krampus (2015)

"A boy who has a bad Christmas ends up accidentally summoning a festive demon to his family home." (IMDb)

Watched this horror comedy and this monster comes with a mixed bag.
The film has lots of potential but the balance between comedy and horror doesn´t quite work and i didn´t like the cast.

Emjay Anthony as the main child character Max gives a good performance but i just don´t like Adam Scott, David Koechner, Conchata Ferrell... well, you get the point.
I enjoyed watching it once but a new Gremlins it is not. 6/10

Posts: 7025 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rare Exports (2010)

"In the depths of the Korvatunturi mountains, 486 metres deep, lies the closest ever guarded secret of Christmas. The time has come to dig it up!
This Christmas everyone will believe in Santa Claus." (IMDb)

This was pretty fun if a bit uneven (like Krampus) finnish horror comedy. 6/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
Family Stone - is a movie that I used to be ok with, but has now crept way up my list of Favorite Christmas movies. Probably top 5.

Yay gordon!

Agree with you on both Krampus and Rare Exports Atomik!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I need to get A Christmas Story, maybe next year.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Black Christmas (1974)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/

Great stuff, one of the first slasher films and most probably the first sorority slasher film.
Nice atmosphere, cool cast with characters you care about, excellent cinematography and i just loved the sorority house.

Elvis Presley loved this and Steve Martin is also a fan.
The 101 Films blu-ray includes fun interviews and a good documentary. The picture quality isn´t great but i can live with that. 8/10

-

Black Christmas (2006)

Watched this 2006 sequel too and while it includes few decent kills, it´s a very typical modern day slasher. 5/10

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home