iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Cheesy Christmas Filmfest Thread (2017)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Cheesy Christmas Filmfest Thread (2017)
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Join me! [Smile]

November:

3 Day Christmas (2012) - 6
Wonder (2017) - 8
The Reckless Moment (1949) - 7
Christmas Grace (2013) - 4
The Family Stone (2005) - 8

December:

Beethoven's Christmas Adventure (2011) - 6
Holiday Inn (1942) - 8
Dead End (2003) - 8

January:

[ 05. December 2017, 06:09: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 3807 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

3 Day Christmas aka 3 Day Test (2012) - It was ok. Guy keeps family in house for 3 days without water, heating, power etc so they can reconnect. 6/10

Wonder (2017) - This was such a gorgeous film. Heartbreaking, heartwarming. And just so much more than what I thought I would get out of it from the trailer. Full of great acting and characters that made me laugh, cry, wanna hit them etc. I love how it showed certain things from the viewpoint of some characters without feeling repetitive. Plus it had both Halloween and Christmas in so that's a bonus [Razz] 8/10

Posts: 3807 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Lethal Weapon (1987)

Still rockin´ and rollin´. One of the best buddy cop films around and the christmas is a bonus. 9/10

Posts: 6988 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I haven't seen that in yeaaaaaaaars. Gonna make a point to this time [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

The Reckless Moment (1949) - Decent noir with badly decorated Christmas trees all around. I loved James Mason. 7/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried watching Trapped In Paradise (1994) with Nicolas Cage for the first time the other day and it all started out promising enough and was going rather well and then they introduced the Dana Carvey character and my heart literally just sank and after that I felt i couldn't carry on watching any further as it felt like torture!

Will give it another go though at some point!

[ 14. November 2017, 10:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3280 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Young Warrior!!! Hang in there! I think there is a thread or conversation on this board about Trapped in Paradise. I saw this movie in the theatre when I was young and thought I enjoyed it. I then saw it several years later (about 4 years ago or so) and could barely handle it. I gave it another go the following year and enjoyed it. Now I'm pretty excited to watch it this year (last year too). One thing that helped was a fact I learned on this board, if I remember correctly. Dana Carvey is doing a Mickey Rourke impression for his character! That helped ease the pain and kind of make it funny.

Thanks for starting the thread Helen!!

Posts: 626 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just did what the map said; I made 4 lefts." "FOUR LEFTS IS A CIRCLE, YOU IDIOT!!!" It's a bit of an up and down film, but there are more ups than downs, and thus I would recommend it.
Posts: 2526 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like the feel of Trapped in Paradise. The snow storm makes for a great backdrop. Has a good Christmas feel to it, which scores extra points with me.

-

Posts: 626 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Teen Witch (1989)

Charming, inoffensive teen comedy filled with typical 80s montages and several catchy tunes on the soundtrack.

A cute Robyn Lively, Zelda Rubinstein (Poltergeist), Caren Caye (everyone's favorite French tutor), and Lisa Fuller
(who played the not-so-virginal sister in The Monster Squad) star.

The US blu-ray edition released earlier this year comes fully loaded with extra's that are arguably more interesting
than the actual movie.. but hey, who's complaining ?

Girls lockerroom scene (,I Like Boys') : www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLa8jMYQcfY

Posts: 2034 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:

Girls lockerroom scene (,I Like Boys') : www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLa8jMYQcfY

Still a decent enough 80's film. But I always mute the TV or change the channel at this locker room scene. Lol
Posts: 1732 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Christmas Grace (2013) - Ohmygosh, this had some of the most greatest bad acting I've ever seen! All performed like a lot of child actors do. Just repeating learned lines with nothing behind them and then dramatic pauses when they have forgotten the next bit. It was truly a joy to behold haha! My plan is to invent one of the worst childrens games ever also so I too can have a spare 200 grand in my pocket to give away to salvage my rival's business! Just brilliant. 4/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen I can't get over how bad that cover art is and I know I've seen some bad ones over the years but that one takes the cake!

If I hadn't looked closer I would of thought that there heads were on a mantle piece!

Teen Witch is good fun and have it on a double feature US dvd alongside the awesome Heavenly Kid.

[ 25. November 2017, 06:46: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3280 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
If I hadn't looked closer I would of thought that there heads were on a mantle piece!

Oh God, that's hilarious hahaha [Big Grin]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

The Family Stone (2005) - This film seems to get quite a bit of stick but I've always really liked it. Yeah, Sarah Jessica Parker's character is a little tactless and awkward but that family were plain arseholes to begin with. I find it really funny and touching at times and although the partner swapping is a bit of an ick it's nice how it all turns around. I love tension filled family meet ups and this is just great at it. Love the cast apart from Dermot Mulroney who was so dry. 8/10

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely agree that "The Family Stone" is a great Christmas film, with an excellent cast. This should definitely be on anyone's "top 20" list of best Christmas films.

I remember seeing this in the theater back in late '05. Both funny and sad, this really illustrates & emphasizes how important family is - and not just during the holidays.

And, though not purely a Christmas film, the excellent "Home for the Holidays" (1995) is another well-done holiday family movie, set during Thanksgiving. It's directed by Jodie Foster, and stars Holly Hunter.

[ 01. December 2017, 20:35: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Glad you like it too! [Smile] I shall have to see Home For The Holidays!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home