iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2017) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2017)
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's watching some Friday the 13th movies tonight? This guy! Not sure which ones yet, but I'll have to report back.
Posts: 620 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me gecko but you enjoy the Friday the 13ths.

I caught all but the last half hour of Silver Bullet. 1985 starring Corey haim. I don't remember watching this one. It was an enjoyable flick and wish I could have finished it. Loved his 2 stroke wheelchair.

Posts: 1530 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Friday 13th Part 3 with my 10 and 5 yr olds. My 13 yr old hates horror movies.
We've already seen 1 & 2. My 5 yr old is my 3rd kid and he's completely corrupted already. He's a huge Walking Dead fan too.

I also caught Silver Bullet with Haim and Busey and it was enjoyable. I don't know if i would have liked it when it was first released but we had a horror movie themed night at my house so it was good enough and the kids liked it. It seemed like that movie was released during that period of bad King movies in the 80's.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Slumber Party Massacre III (1990)

Pretty good sequel so this was a surprisingly good series overall.
Nothing new on offer here but it was well made, considering the budget and i liked the cast. 6/10

-

The Boogens (1981)

This was fun old school monster horror film with interesting story and likeable cast.
Yes, the monster looks a little bit too sympathetic when they finally put it on screen but that didn´t ruin the film. 7/10

-

A Cure for Wellness (2016)

Very good mystery horror film from Gore Verbinski.
It was a box office bomb but that doesn´t always tell everything.
It a bit too long but i loved solving the mystery together with the lead actor Dane DeHaan. Wonderful scenery (shot in Germany) and cinematography. 8/10

Asylum (1972)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068230/

Entertaining Amicus horror anthology with all star cast. 7/10

Posts: 6963 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen The Boogen's Atomik so I need to certainly check it out one of these days!

-

Watched the Possession Of Michael King again (last watched it I believe for last years Halloween thread) as my wife had never seen it and it's a cool little POV horror flick with some really icky moments and the odd decent jump scare!

Very well acted as well and i'd say that it's well above average for a low budget DTV possession horror and comes highly recommended! 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/dbUMYgKIvik - The Possession Of Michael King trailer (2014).

[ 20. October 2017, 08:32: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3259 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I 100% agree that The Boogens is indeed old-school monster movie fun with some nice, modern additions: Dilapidated mine shaft. Check. Mysterious monsters. Check. Rebecca Balding, very cute scream queen who can really act--and a little nudity. Check. Silly, but endearing, creature design. Check. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes or so.
Posts: 2027 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vampires (1998), Vampires: Los Muertos (2002) & Vampires: The Turning (2005)

John Carpenter´s original Vampires is a fun action film but not among his best ones. 7/10
Los Muertos was pure pain 0/10 and The Turning only slightly better 4/10.

-

Train to Busan (2016)

This was a cool South Korean zombie film mostly set in a train. 8/10

Night Vision (1987)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244099/

Boring independent horror flick but i suffered through it. 2/10

Posts: 6963 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Lame 2014 horror with a crappy villain and virtually no scares to speak of this was pretty torturous viewing at times to the point that I think I might actually deserve a medal just for making it through to the very end of it as it was becoming that dull that come the hour mark I was nearly drifting off asleep!

3/10 Not good in the slightest and certainly my worst Halloween horror viewing of this thread so far!

"A new horror creation worthy of standing alongside the likes of Jason,Michael and Freddy.The Drownsman is just that good' - Best Horror Movies.

All I can think is that the poor guy was drunk at the time! [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/hoC23-RdUfM - The Drownsman trailer (2014).

[ 20. October 2017, 08:28: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3259 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I like The Drownsman cover art, too bad if the movie sucks [Smile]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Children of the Night (1991)

Pretty poor Fangoria Films horror comedy from Hellraiser II director Tony Randel.
Interesting first few minutes but everything goes wrong very quickly. Ami Dolenz looks good though. 4/10

-

Blood Rage aka Slasher aka Nightmare at Shadow Woods (1983/87)

Highly entertaining early 80s slasher with awesome kills and sfx.
Includes a fantastic synth soundtrack too so i recommend this one! 8/10

The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089907/

Rewatched this Dan O'Bannon superclassic and what can i say, everything just works.
The cast, the story, the soundtrack... all perfect! 10/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
The Drownsman art does look cool Atomik but the movie well the less said about that the better,Blood Rage on the other hand now that is a lot of fun,crazy gory deaths of which some are pretty laughable but yeah it's a blast to watch and that synth score was something else!

Also the Arrow Blu Ray for it is awesome including different cuts of the film.

-

I watched this slow to get going but overall pretty OK haunted house horror which was definitely different to what I was expecting as I thought it was going to be more along the lines of a ghost style haunting flick of which it was nothing of the sort!

Reading a few reviews of it as well a lot of folk have said that they did not like the end but for me the ending infact say the last half hour is when the film really comes alive and there's some good suspense in that last half hour with one real standout creepy moment that had me on the edge of my seat!

Also come the final 30 you do start getting a few gory death scenes where as everything that had gone prior could have easily scrapped by with a pg-13.

Acting wise everyone here is pretty solid with Michael Vartan (Never Been Kissed) being one of the most familiar faces and there's also a small cameo from Jobeth Williams who many people will know as the mother Diane Freeling in the Poltergeist movies!

Though I certainly wouldn't pay full whack for it (I saw it on rental) if i did happen upon it going very cheap online or in the stores I would probably be tempted into adding it to my horror collection as overall it's a pretty entertaining new horror movie and i'd say where modern horror's concerned I've seen a lot lot worse! 6.5/10

https://youtu.be/KHg90WBsrGo - Within aka Crawlspace trailer (2016)

[ 23. October 2017, 10:17: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Vault Of Horror (1973) - Not the strongest of the Amicus anthologies but still a hell of a good time and I love the voodoo story so much. 8/10

-

Tales Of Terror (1962) - The first story is the weak point for me. Love the other 2 tho. 8/10

-

Three Cases Of Murder (1955) - Where has this been hiding all of my life!?! A rare occurrence in an anthology film where all the stories are equally good. The atmosphere, the writing, the weirdness and the acting, especially from Alan Badel who was in all 3 segments, was fantastic. I enjoyed this so much! 9/10

-

Prince Of Darkness (1987) - One of the best John Carpenter films and one of the best ever for creating that special October atmosphere. I love everything about it. Especially how there is barely any part of this film where there isn't some score playing, giving it a false at times frenetic pacing feel. It really has the creep and ick factor this film. The dream is so simple but so so great. 10/10

-

The People Under The Stairs (1991) - Had to watch this again after seeing the peeps at the horrorcon [Smile] 8/10

-

Friday The 13th (1980) - On Friday the 13th [Razz] 7/10

Posts: 3798 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Sleepy Hollow (1999) - I don't know what it is about that last half an hour or so but everytime I just sorta switch off through it. Thoroughly enjoy it up until then. 7/10

-

Halloween (2007) - Although I've warmed more to this over the years there's still so much meh about those final parts. 6/10

-

House On Haunted Hill (1959) - Perfection. 10/10

-

Thinner (1996) - Clearly not one of the better Stephen King films but it has a really fun black comedy feel. 6/10

-

Vampire Academy (2014) - Felt more like a TV pilot and a pretty average one at that. 5/10

Posts: 3798 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I thought this was a fairly decent 7th entry in the Child's Play series with just a few minor niggles (uneven pacing/odd bit of bad CGI early on) dragging it down a bit!

Chucky looks great here and there's some neat plot twists along with some extremely brutal kills (got to be the most gruesome entry yet) that help make this i feel along with the previous sequel the Curse Of Chucky another step in the right direction for the series after the all too silly Seed Of Chucky! 7/10

https://youtu.be/20LeBoejmF4 - Cult Of Chucky trailer (2017).

[ 29. October 2017, 01:52: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Cult of Chucky the other day YW. I am curious what you would rate this film if it was the first chucky film. It had its moments but I am glad the cost was a redbox rental and not a pricy trip to the theatre. Is that how pricy is spelled? I don't know.I did enjoy the conconversation between the 3 chuckies
Posts: 1530 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
The first 3 Chucky films blow it away Terd but for me it's miles better than Seed Of Chucky and not that far behind either Bride or the Curse Of Chucky.

The original which I saw in the theatres (I also saw Bride Of Chucky at the flicks) is definitely my favourite followed by 2&3 then Bride,Curse,Cult and lastly Seed which I just didn't take to as it had got a bit too silly for my liking!

Definitely found this one a bit more mean spirited in tone than the previous entries so I don't think it will be to everyone's taste as some might miss the more comedic moments from the likes of Bride and Seed though there's still the odd funny moment there!

Yeah I liked the 3 Chucky's talking to each other,one of them has got short hair and he does look quite comical looking!

[ 28. October 2017, 13:37: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)

Mediocre sequel with one cool zombie scene in the hospital basement. I own the vhs tape and the dvd.
The tape includes the original score which is superior compared to the watered down dvd family version. 5/10 (vhs version)

-

Pieces (1982)

Totally bonkers spanish slasher film but it´s so much fun you can´t help but like it. 7/10

-

Luther the Geek (1987/90)

Surprisingly well made low-budget slasher, i highly recommend the 88 Films blu-ray.
Edward Terry is excellent as Luther and you gotta love Stacy Haiduk! 7/10

-

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

Excellent early slasher jewel with manic kill scenes and great overall vibe.
As i said on another thread, the only bad seed here is the comic character Benson played by producer/director Charles B. Pierce himself. 8/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

The Number 23 (2007) - I liked it more than when I first saw it years ago! I think the look and feel of it is just perfect for this time of year. I really loved the gloom and the comic book kind of feel to the early book scenes. Also thought Jim Carrey was smashing. My main criticism would be the unravelling of the story. I don't know quite in what way but I feel it could have been done a bit better. 7/10

-

Carnival Of Souls (1962) - It was heading more for a 7 this time around but then that ending [Cool] 8/10

-

Halloween II (2009) - I have officially joined the crazies and can now see the awesome pull of this. I had a hell of a good time with it!! 7/10

-

Hocus Pocus (1993) - I hear they are doing a TV remake of this. 7/10

-

The Witches (1990) - 8/10

-

Hatchet (2006) - Bumped this up a point as there's a reason I keep coming back to this every Halloween. 7/10

And I watched a bunch of delightful shorts:

Jack Attack (2013) - 7/10
Betty Boop's Halloween Party (1933) - 7/10
Halloween (1931) - 6/10
Halloween Party (1953) - 7/10
Black Cats And Broomsticks (1955) - 6/10

[ 30. October 2017, 04:50: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Daft plot,daft villain but still an OK time waster made in 2002 which blatantly steals from the likes of Elm Street,Wishmaster etc. yet also manages to have the odd good idea of its own!

Overall it's nothing to shout about but it's still fairly entertaining and I liked the way it was all wrapped up plus the great Ron Silver (Timecop/Silent Rage) who's sadly now departed from us pops up from time to time throughout in an extended cameo.

Kills are pretty tame and there's some mild nudity but it just about warrants it's R rating or 15 certificate as it was here in the UK.

6/10

https://youtu.be/ztoix3kcO8w - The Wisher trailer (2002).

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Monster House (2006) - 8/10

-

A Dark Song (2016) - They thought it was a lot smarter than what it was. 5/10

-

Children Of The Corn (2009) - Whoever cast that boy as Isaac needs to be smacked every day for a year! 3/10

The Scariest Story Ever: A Mickey Mouse Halloween Spooktacular (2017) - I laughed way too much at this! [Razz] 7/10

And the 6 comedy horrors from the Fright Shorts series:

Costume Drama (2017) - 7/10
Derek Vs The Evil Halloween Pigeon (2017) - 6/10
The Visit (2017) - 7/10
The Grandmummy Returns (2017) - 5/10
Worst Halloween Ever (2017) - 6/10
The Candy Gran (2017) - 8/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
21/10

-

Fun, Fun, Fun ('Til her daddy takes the T-bird away) [Razz]

28/10

-

One of the better sequels.  -

29/10

-

It certainly lives up to its name -- lots of bloood! A lot of ropey acting as well. [Big Grin]

Tonight will be a double bill of:

-  -

Posts: 1518 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Aaaaaaaah! (2015) - Ummm. 5/10

-

What We Do In The Shadows (2014) - Vampires (2010) did this waaaay better. 5/10

-

Happy Death Day (2017) - The first half wasn't so riveting but then the second was a hoot!! 6/10

-

The Ghoul (2016) - Good bits, boring bits. 5/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Happy Halloween people!! I've made pumpkin stew and pumpkin pie [Big Grin] [Razz]
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Halloween, Helen & everyone on the Rewind  -

Enjoy all that pumpkin goodness (I don't think I've ever tried it).

Posts: 1518 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Helen that's what I've got planned for viewing tonight is Carpenter's original Halloween,want to hopefully watch The Fog as well!
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home