iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Howard the Duck (1986)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Howard the Duck (1986)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Master Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a lot of people hate Howard the Duck - but I actually don't think it's a bad film.

Ihad heard about HTD for years, but had avoided watching this because of the universally bad reviews/opinions of the film. However, I was finally able to see the movie on DVD several years ago, and really enjoyed this. Here are my thoughts on the DVD:

Howard the Duck - The Film

- The opening sequence was amazing - I liked the "Earth-like" setting, though you knew right away that you were seeing another planet once you saw the two moons in the sky (shades of the two suns on Tattoine?!)

- Howard's apartment scenes were hilarious, i.e. the movie posters, which were take-off's of ROTLA, Flashdance (Splashdance), etc.

- This film screams the '80's, from the new wave/punk rock group Cherry Bombs (Beverly's all-girl band), to the big hair, etc. Great stuff.

- The animatronic Howard was very well-done, especially the mouth movement, which looked very realistic.

- The humor in the film was great, especially the scenes where Howard used 'Quack-Fu' to defeat his opponents - hilarious.

- Last but definitely not least, the effects by ILM were decent. Especially incredible was the "Dark Overlord" monster at the very end - incredible! This is definitely one of the coolest creatures in horror/monster films, and is right up there with the monster at the end of Cloverfield.

Special Features

- The trailers were amusing, especially the teaser trailer with the Beverly character talking about Howard - I remember seeing this back in '86.

- I really enjoyed the retrospective/making of documentaries. It was interesting to see the filmmakers (Hyuk/Katz) discuss the making of the film, and also their dissapointment that the film didn't do better in the theatre (despite all of the $ spent making this).

- It's also interesting that HTD has grown in popularity as the years have passed, to the extent that it has gotten an almost 'cult-like' following. It seems like it has taken a long time for the film to have gotten the respect it truly deserves, but better late than never. I'm sure the DVD release helped bring the film to a wider audience.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother kept rewinding that scene at the end when Howard grabs a guitar!

-

Posts: 106 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Jedi
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While looking at the main page of the message boards, I couldn't help but crack a smile when Howard the duck was the last topic posted on in the 80s room and disaster movies was the last on the 70s room. Coincidence? I think not. Haha
Posts: 1481 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen this movie in so long! I would watch this with my brother when we were young. I might have to try to view this again, but I too am nervous.
Posts: 585 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NSFWwithcussingPodCastReview
I have listened to these guys since 2012, this one is hilarious.

Posts: 179 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home