iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Miracle Mile (1989)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miracle Mile (1989)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Miracle Mile" is one of my favorite '80's flicks (even though I didn't see it until around 2010).

The threat of nuclear war was very strong in the '80's, and this movie definitely captures that fear extremely well. To those who weren't around during that era, it's tough to explain/describe how strong the fear of this was at that time. I graduated high school at the end of that decade, and I remember this being a big concern & topic of discussion during that time.

I thought it was poignant to see the couple (Anthony Edwards & Mare W.) start off their relationship right before the end of the world...The scenes at the end when everything started getting destroyed were tough to watch...quite horrific.

On a lighter note...watching it in the 21st century, it was especially amusing to see the huge cell phone that the Denise Crosby businesswoman character was using in the diner

[ 14. March 2017, 10:17: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am one of the few people who saw Miracle Mile in a theatre way back when. I know that the screenplay had been passed around Hollywood for quite some time as one of the best unproduced screenplays. And once you accept one plot point right at the beginning of the film--and you will--you will be dragged along by one of the saddest, most haunting films that you will ever seen. It's a small masterpiece on so many levels--the low-budget depiction of nuclear war--but the human element is what gets you. Edwards and Winningham have tremendous chemistry together, and it would be a hard heart indeed not to be moved by the final scenes of this brilliant little film. It's definitely not a "feel good" film--I'm shocked that the studio heads let it have such an uncommercial ending--but it's masterfully crafted. It's a tragedy that Steve DeJarnatt directed this and Cherry 2000 and no other theatrical film, instead winding up directing episodes of TV shows Nash Bridges and Lizzie McGuire. What a shame!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Blu-Ray / DVD release from Kino has tons of nice little features including commentary and an alternate ending.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home