iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2016) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2016)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Humanoids from the Deep aka Monster (1980).

Watched this highly entertaining Roger Corman nature strikes back b-horror flick directed by Barbara Peeters.
Creature from the Black Lagoon 2.0 if you will.

"Scientific experiments backfire and produce horrific mutations: half man, half fish, which terrorize a small fishing village by killing the men and raping the women." (IMDb)

Solid cast, lots of blood and nudity and i just love the small coast town atmosphere.
James Horner soundtrack, Rob Bottin sfx and legendary Mark Goldblatt as the editor, what else do you need?

This film acts first and thinks later, just the way it should be in this genre. Highly recommended! 8/10

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, am a fan of the loopy and entertaining Humanoids from the Deep, which encompasses all the best traits of a Roger Corman film: decent acting, a tiny amount of social significance, gore, nudity, and an atmosphere of sleaze. The plot where the sea monsters are out to mate with human women is pretty much the most un-PC thing that you'll ever see, but taken in the spirit of 80s drive-in product, it's a winner.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Interesting films, i have to rewatch The Seventh Sign. I really need some easy Demi Moore on my eyes [Wink]

You could always do a Seventh Sign/Striptease Double bill Atomik or is that a bit too much easy Demi Moore on the eyes in one go [Big Grin]

Humanoids From The Deep is an absolute blast and like another Corman produced horror of the time The Slumber Party Massacre the fact that there both helmed by women directors I think takes a lot of people by surprise due to there high sleaze factors!

Have you guys seen Galaxy Of Terror and Forbidden World as there equally as wacky but in my opinion not quite the fun that Humanoids is!

[ 10. October 2016, 16:30: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forbidden World is great (there´s a thread here somewhere) but still haven´t seen Galaxy of Terror.

The story goes that Corman increased the sleaze factor in Humanoids without telling the director or the principal cast.
Needles to say they weren´t happy about it but i love the man even more [Big Grin]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, more Roger Corman-produced sleaze! I've seen 'em all, and Humanoids is my favorite, though the big worm sequence from Galaxy of Terror is like something out of a Japanese pink film.

On Humanoids, I forget who got called in to do the reshoots, upping the sleaze factor. I think from watching the Trailers from H*ll website, it might have been Alan Arkush, who did the great Rock 'n Roll High School. His commentary on that site about a Corman film that he tried to salvage from a director who just couldn't cut it, Death Sport with David Carradine and Claudia Jennings, is hilarious. (I especially love the way he talks about how the fight scenes were limited because the plastic swords kept falling apart.) He and Joe Dante, who worked together cutting trailers for New World, seem like the nicest guys around. They are very unpretentious and call it like they see it with very little ego.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12th Oct
Chiller (1985) (TV)
 - /5

"Corporate exec Miles Creighton dies, and is cryogenically frozen in the hopes that he can be revived. 10 years later, the procedure is a success, and Miles returns--without his soul."

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rewatched National Lampoon´s Class Reunion and it wasn´t quite as good as i remembered.

When you´re watching a movie spoofing sex comedies and slasher films you want to see blood and skin and this offers very little in that department.

I like the setting and really enjoyed some parts but there´s not too much talent among the cast and too many jokes just fall flat.
John Hughes said that they butchered his screenplay so i won´t blame him. 5/10

-

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge fan of the horror movie genre, ever since I was a kid; however, there aren't a lot of horror movies out there that genuinely scare me anymore these days.

That being said, here is a short (but not comprehensive) list of some of those films that I do find somewhat frightening (these aren't just '80's films) - I have re-watched some of these in the past month, due to Halloween approaching soon:

1970's:

Burnt Offerings
The Sentinel
Let's scare Jessica to death
The Exorcist
Halloween I (1978)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers re-make (1978) - better than the original, IMHO

1980's:

Friday the 13th Part I - II
The Changeling (George C. Scott)

1990's & 200X's:

The Blair Witch Project
BWP 2: Book of Shadows
Silent Hill I
The Ring (2002)

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Nice to see you mention Let's Scare Jessica to Death, a small 70s gem, and the U.S. remake of The Ring, which is very good. I know a lot of people love The Changeling. I saw it a theatre the day it opened, and unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. I probably need to revisit it soon. I do know that it's a very good looking and well directed and acted film. It just didn't scare me.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Hangman from 2015 about a family off on there hols who have a psychotic intruder move in while there away and take up residence in there attic where he monitors there every move on there return through a video surveillance system that he has set up.

You need a bit of patience for this POV style Horror as it does move at quite a relaxed pace but it's genuinely creepy at times and the few kills that feature feel even more disturbing and brutal than usual because it's as if your witnessing it through the perpetrators eyes!

The acting from all involved was pretty solid with most of the cast to me being virtual unknowns but it does have the underrated Jeremy Sisto (The Wrong Turn) as the father of the family in jeopardy and here once again he gives another very reliable performance.

Not bad at all and supposedly inspired by true events which if true makes it even more the creepier!

https://youtu.be/5Jb9sMjp4gU - Hangman trailer (2015).

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Killer Workout aka Aerobicide (1987), an entertaining b-slasher written and directed by David A. Prior.

Great tunes, funny kills, hot women, fantastic fashion and goofy dialogue.
Already the opening credits theme tune sounds like Halloween theme on steroids [Big Grin]

Lovely Marcia Karr who plays Rhonda, the workout club owner
 -

Not a lost classic but enjoyable enough 80s low-budget horror flick 6/10

-

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
17th Oct
 -

"A group of cheerleaders become the targets of an unknown killer at a remote summer camp."

- /5

Not even the lovely Betsy Russell & Lorie Griffin can save this turkey.

I need to get back to watching the classics!

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched Prom Night (1980)

Yes, it´s slow, old fashioned and lacks blood and nudity but i have a soft spot for this one.
I happen to like the early 80s canadian atmosphere and the how they build up the characters here.

I also like the cast (most of them stage actors and recent theater graduates from the University of Toronto).
Loud disco music (if you think the songs sound familiar it´s because composer Paul Zaza closely copied few original tracks), teens doing their stuff and few decent kills. 6/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I really like both Cheerleader Camp and Prom Night though I have to admit that they are both far from being perfect!

-

I watched the 1988 horror Watchers starring the late Corey Haim and the ever creepy Michael Ironside,really good fun this one though I know the majority of fans of the Dean R. Koontz novel on which it is based seem to hate it with a vengeance!

Never noticed before but Jason Priestley (Beverley Hills,90210) also turns up in a brief performance as one of three teenage mountain bikers.

Decent performance from the Haimster and Sandy The Dog as Furface the lovable Golden Retriever plus some cool Vancouver locations.

Great fun!

https://youtu.be/lQQDaOi_qiA - Watchers trailer (1988).

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I enjoy Watchers and have seen the first sequel once back in the early 90s. Never seen Watchers 3 or the reboot Watchers Reborn.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched The Brain (1988) which was directed by Ed Hunt.

"Dr. Blake runs a TV show called "Independent Thinkers", which is sort of a Scientology-like self-help/religion program.
But he's not making his audience think any more independently - with the help of an alien organism he calls The Brain, he's using brainwashing and mind control.
The only thing that stands between them and world domination is a brilliant but troubled high school student with a penchant for pranks..." (IMDb)

Fun low-budget scifi-horror, very silly but pretty entertaining.
The brain monster looks ridiculous and scary at the same time (if that´s possible [Big Grin] ) and it eats people too!
Nice to see David Gale from Re-Animator fame in this one. 5/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Enjoyable 2003 horror about a father driving his family to there relatives on Christmas Eve when he decides to take a short cut and ends up on a never ending road where they are spooked by a lady ln white with a baby who keeps appearing roadside in the woods and some guy driving a blacked out Hearse!

Quite atmospheric low budget horror where most things are left to the imagination though it does have the odd icky moment and featuring a great cast with a couple of really fun performances from horror regular Lin Shaye and the great Ray Wise (Jeepers Creepers 2) who are gradually losing there sanity on this never ending road of despair!

Nothing overly amazing but good fun and though not really apparent I liked the idea of it being set on Xmas eve and that it had the family driving through densely wooded backroads to reach there in-laws as it all helped add to the creepy vibe of it!

Not bad at all and i'd say it's one thats certainly worth looking out for!

https://youtu.be/WOKRauvfkUU - Dead End trailer (2003).

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"The day belongs to man. The night is theirs"

Watched Nightwing (1979) which is a surprise horror film directed by the late Arthur Hiller.

A colony of vampire bats terrorize a small Indian community in New Mexico.
Can local cop Duran (Nick Mancuso) and vampire bat Hunter Payne (David Warner) find and destroy the roost before it´s too late?

Old school horror is the name of the game here. The special effects look dated but at the same time the bats created by Carlo Rambaldi act pretty nasty.
There´s lots of indian mysticism and relationships in the script so some people may find it quite boring.
I kinda liked it, the Henry Mancini score is atmospheric and there´s a big bonus in the end because the final fight in the caves looks great. 6/10

Finnish vhs cover art
 -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Don't think I've ever seen Nightwing Atomik but I know Carlo Rambaldi also done some rather good effects work in this horror i've just got done watching again -

-

Cool 1985 Stephen King horror anthology with three different stories linked by a cat,first one has James Woods trying to quit smoking with the rather persuasive help of a company known as Quitters Inc.,second has womanising tennis coach Robert Hays (Airplane) caught up in a crazy wager which involves him having to walk all the way around the outside of a high rise apartment on a ledge that's only a few inches wide,final story has a young Drew Barrymore and a Cat battling a troll like creature that comes out at night through a hole in her bedroom wall!

Awesome cast here with James Woods,Drew Barrymore,Candy Clark,Robert Hays,Kenneth McMillan,Alan King and it's superbly directed by Lewis Teague who two years prior to this was behind the lens of another solid Stephen King screen adaption and that was the rabid dog (St.Bernard) horror Cujo.

Good fun and actually talking of Cujo it would make for a great double bill of horror along with Cat's Eye especially for those new to both movies as I feel that they would be in for a real treat!

https://youtu.be/rBdshG0lWac - Cat's Eye trailer (1985).

[ 26. October 2016, 13:45: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Managed to cram in a few horror/thrillers these last couple of days -

-

The Good Neighbor with James Caan is a great little thriller with a twist ending that is going to completely throw most folk 8/10.

https://youtu.be/wIXTB9wtqxA - The Good Neighbour trailer (2016).

-

Tales Of Halloween is a new Horror anthology featuring 10 different stories set over Halloween night,really enjoyed this one with only the odd story not hitting the mark.

Beautifully shot and with some cool gore effects! 8/10

https://youtu.be/T-TWBYTG-_4 - Tales Of Halloween trailer (2015).

-

Been a few years since I last watched C.H.U.D and I'd forgotten what a great and grimy looking horror movie it actually is,features a great cast including John Heard,Daniel Stern,Kim Greist,Christopher Curry plus a very early appearance from John Goodman.

Some really cool effects work here and I dig the look of the actual C.H.U.D (Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers) creatures!

Great stuff and my favourite of a very strong bunch 8.5/10.

https://youtu.be/qfsVQer2daI - C.H.U.D trailer (1984).

Also watched the 2016 internet horror Friends Request (rental) which was borderline average despite some pretty decent jump scares! 4.5/10.

[ 30. October 2016, 01:20: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Only seen C.H.U.D. once back in the 80s, i only got the not so great sequel Bud the CHUD.

Need to check out The Good Neighbour and Tales of Halloween.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987).

Still very good film which combines Carrie, The Exorcist and Nightmare on Elm Street. 7/10

-

Another one i watched was canadian film Ginger Snaps (2000) which is a modern werewolf tale with a twist.

"Two death-obsessed sisters, outcasts in their suburban neighborhood, must deal with the tragic consequences when one of them is bitten by a deadly werewolf." (IMDb)

Lots of teen angst plus fairly nice sfx in this one. There seems to be two sequels but i haven´t got those. 6/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Only seen C.H.U.D. once back in the 80s, i only got the not so great sequel Bud the CHUD.

Need to check out The Good Neighbour and Tales of Halloween.

Yeah I reckon you would probably enjoy both Atomik,Tales Of Halloween is maybe a film that Might be a bit hit & miss with some as you got 10 different short stories there with obviously pretty mixed results but overall I'd say it was really well done!

The Good Neighbour I really liked also but it was a completely different sort of movie to what I was expecting,can be a bit slow in places as well as being a little bit overly daft but it was always entertaining with a well written story that had a great twist in the tale!

I've never seen C.H.U.D 2 - Bud The Chud but by all accounts I'm probably doing myself a favour!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
If your birthday happens to be on october 30th, there´s one film you just have to watch [Smile]

-

Bloody Birthday (1981)

"In 1970, three children are born at the height of a total eclipse. Due to the sun and moon blocking Saturn, which controls emotions,
they have become heartless killers ten years later, and are able to escape detection because of their youthful and innocent facades.
A boy and his teenage sister become endangered when they stumble onto the bloody truth." (IMDb)

Damn this was fun and disturbing film directed by Ed Hunt.
Elizabeth Hoy, Billy Jayne (ex Jacoby) and Andrew Freeman play the wicked kids, especially Hoy and Jayne are fantastic!
Lori Lethin and K.C. Martel are the neighbours who find out the truth.

The film co-stars Julie "Earth Girls are Easy" Brown, Joe "Jake and the Fatman" Penny and Michael Dudikoff among others. Brown shows some skin and has a body to die for.
I love the feel and the Glendale locations in this one, very Halloween like. Highly recommended! 8/10

Debbie playing deadly games with her dad
 -

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Tonight:

Halloween (1978) @ The Prince Charles Cinema. 9pm showing.

I can't wait.  -

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home