iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers atomik it comes out on Blu Ray on July 6th from Australian label Umbrella Entertainment http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Road-Games-Blu-ray/153972/ so look forward to picking it up!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This 1981 thriller Eyewitness aka The Janitor starring Sigourney Weaver,William Hurt,Christopher Plummer and James Woods comes out on Blu Ray
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Eyewitness-Blu-ray/153974/ in a few months time,never see it before but it looks interesting and has a great cast!

Anyone seen this one and if so is it worth checking out?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. It's not a perfect film, but well worth watching. I think it also goes by the title 'The Janitor'.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Eyewitness a bit boring actually. Maybe i should give it another try?
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with Logan. Eyewitness is a good,though flawed, film. It's best asset is the heartfelt performance by William Hurt, who was on a roll at the beginning of his career with Body Heat, Altered States, and this film.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about to mention William Hurt. Early to mid period Hurt was really good, and it's easy to see why he became a top tier actor (and then it went to his head). Sigourney is also worth watching in anything, and this was during her most interesting period (to me at least).

Hurt seemed to get bigger as the decade progressed and arguably peaked with things like 'Accidental Tourist' and 'Children of a Lesser God', but seemed to slide in the 90's. I always think of Debra Winger too, as an 80's actress who was massive for a while and then slid into obscurity. I watched 'Mike's Murder' again recently, and although the film was a mess (studio interference) her performance was really strong.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you about William Hurt. I would add that I really liked his performances in Kiss of the Spider Woman, The Big Chill, Broadcast News, and The Doctor too in his peak period. After that, it just seemed to be a series of terrible script choices as he headed into middle age. He did resurface with that great colorful scene in A History of Violence, but he never really made a comeback. I think that it was a couple of things. When he first started, he was like a bright flash, a quirky, not-totally-handsome but not-unattractive, intelligent leading man for the 80s. After a series of really terrific, gutsy, no-holds-barred performcnes, he got spoiled/arrogant/lazy. And then, I think, that as time went on--and he gave the exact same line readings and performance in every role--people just gave up and forgot about William Hurt, the once top-tier Oscar-winning star. I also read back in the day that alcohol and, perhaps, some craziness crept in. (As I recall, I read somewhere that when he was married to his ex-wife, Mary Beth, he once threw himself down on the sidewalk in front of her and rolled around shouting, "You are trying to control my Id!" LOL) It's a real shame. He is a very talented guy when he wants to be.

As for Debra Winger, another performer that I really like, it's a lot of the same thing. She wasn't the most attractive actress of her generation--not that she was ugly--but she could be really sexy when she needed to. (She's fantastic in An Officer and A Gentleman.) And it's worse for an actress heading into middle age. Unless you are Meryl Streep, Judi Dench, or Helen Mirren, the parts just aren't there. Heck, Glenn Close and Jessica Lange wound up on TV shows.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
A couple here that I'm curious about -

-

Anyone seen the 1994 action comedy The Cowboy Way starring Woody Harrelson and Kiefer Sutherland and if so is it any good?

And from the previous year -

-

The 1993 fantasy comedy Heart And Souls Starring Robert Downey Jr,Elisabeth Shue and Charles Grodin.

Worth checking out?

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cowboy Way is neither poingnant or significant in any way, but I've always enjoyed it as a disposable action comedy. Woody Harrelson is pretty damn funny here and has decent chemistry with Sutherland.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Peter,i like both actors so I imagined it wouldn't be too bad a watch!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Totally agree with Peter's summation of Cowboy Way - entertaining but nothing special.

Heart and Souls was also passably entertaining with a good cast and some good scenes, but it didn't work that well as a film. If I recall correctly it was very didactic and sentimental. I've seen it twice and it hasn't stuck with me at all.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Logan for your take on them,i've had them in my Amazon basket for ages and they've just recently dropped in price so I'm tempted to pick them up!

I'm not a bond fanatic but I did enjoy quite a few of his 80s outings especially the last one I watched The Living Daylights,i've only got two left from that decade to view and that is -

-

and Never Say Never Again,i noticed that Octopussy at the moment is really cheap on Blu and is just over 4 Uk pounds for a New & sealed copy.

Is it any good?

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Octopussy is one of the better Roger Moore Bonds, and Never Say Never Again is pretty underrated. It was nice to see Connery back, and Klaus Maria Brandauer, a truly great actor, is an excellent Bond villain.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Moore Bond movies. Octopussy isn't his best but my advice would be go for it Warrior. Both are worth a watch.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would rank Octopussy in the low end of Bonds, not as bad as A View to a Kill, but still, Moore should have quit after For Your Eyes Only IMO.

Never Say Never Again is a fun anomaly, some parts horrible, some parts watchable.... and a few parts that actually works. But flawed as it is, it is still Bond (sort of) and 80's Bond at that, which makes it a must-see in my book.

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers guys,i went for it and just purchased Octopussy,only Never Say Never Again from 80s Bond to check out after that!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Look at the length of Moore's legs in that poster! Totally unreal!

I like Octopussy, but Moore was getting too old to be Bond at that point. He wanted to stop after For Your Eyes Only but they talked him back. They did it again for View to a Kill, which he was far too old for.

Never Say Never Again is actually quite good, but it's not an 'official' Bond film. Connery owned the rights to Thunderball, so he remade it. I believe the two movies almost went head-to-head back in '83. I like it, and Connery is clearly having a blast.

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Kevin McClory owned the rights to Thunderball, not Connery... and this was his baby.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
How would you guys rate Timothy Dalton in his two outings as Bond?

I really liked The Living Daylight's but wasn't so overstruck with a Licence To Kill but thought Timothy Dalton was pretty decent both times!

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like both Dalton films very much.
I think that every Connery and Moore Bond films are worth getting but i should rewatch them to give better reviews.

I also recommend the sole Lazenby movie On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I thought that Timothy Dalton was badly underrated as Bond. He certainly had his moments. I like The Living Daylights a lot--I think that it is one of the best post-Connery Bonds--but Licence to Kill not so much. Of all the Bonds, I thought that it had the cheapest, crummiest look to it, and while Robert Davi is a fine actor, they didn't give him much to do as the sort of ordinary villain.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Dalton is my favorite Bond, then Lazenby, then Connery, then Moore, then Brosnan... and then Craig, though I don't care much for him and his run of films.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Kevin McClory owned the rights to Thunderball, not Connery... and this was his baby.
Ah, I'd heard Connery. I just knew the Broccoli's didn't own the rights.

I like Dalton, but he was a Bond out of time. They tried to gritty Bond up a little and the public weren't ready for it yet.

I had heard that many Bond actors were the one before the one they wanted:

They wanted Moore when they got Lazenby.
They wanted Dalton when they got Moore.
They wanted Brosnan when they got Dalton.

That could be wrong though. Makes for an interesting 'what if?' though.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Octopussy is better than Moonraker, which itself is far above A View to a Kill, which is a terrible Bond film. I also like Octopussy better than For Your Eyes Only, which I think is pretty dull and overrated. The Man with the Golden Gun is just OK, should've been better. The two best Moore Bonds are Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Love Me by a wide margin.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
"They wanted Moore when they got Lazenby.
They wanted Dalton when they got Moore.
They wanted Brosnan when they got Dalton."

Yes, all these are true. Also, Burt Reynolds was offered the role when they panicked in 1970 being without a Bond after Lazenby dropped out. Though to Reynold's credit he declined, stating an englishman should play the part. Broccoli and co. were still in panic mode and hired American actor John Gavin, but in the 11th hour, Connery came back for a cool million, and John Gavin was paid in full to step aside.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home