iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

regarded by many as being a Christmas classic is porky's director bob Clark's - a Christmas story from 1983,this is one that I've heard countless good things about over the years but sadly have never got around to watching!

With a rather swanky looking new steelbook blu ray just released and with Christmas (perfect time to watch it) being just around the corner I must say I've been pretty tempted in picking up a copy.

what do you guys think - a Christmas classic or a Christmas Turkey?

-

Got to say I still prefer the original artwork!

[ 24. November 2015, 15:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Another one i'm very curious about and it is one you hardly hear mentioned and that is the 1984 crime comedy - crackers which has seriously good cast - jack warden is always really great no matter what he's in.

Anyone know if this is worth a look as I have it added to my amazon instant video rental list?

[ 24. November 2015, 16:17: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing Crackers in the late 90s. As I recall it wasn't very good.

How about Snake Eater with Lorenzo Lamas? The review on IMDB slammed it so I assume it sucks. I have the original VHS tape but still have not got around to watching it.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Christmas Story is loved by everyone I know- except me! I absolutely hate that movie. I don't know why, I can't put my finger on it, but I just can't watch it! It is on every year for a 24 hour rotation on the USA channel on Dec. 24th, Christmas Eve. How many times does one need to watch this pile of crap?!
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol Pittsburghgirl. I agree, it has been overplayed and I have a hard time watching it anymore but it was a classic movie from the 80s IMO. If you haven't seen it, I recommend giving it go. Sorry Pittsburghgirl. [Wink]
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Own Crackers on vhs and dvd but haven´t watched that one yet.

I´m a big Lorenzo Lamas fan and watched over ten Lamas films while the site was down.
Snake Eater is tongue in cheek fun and violent action film. The third part Snake Eater III: ...His Law (1992) is also excellent but avoid the second, Snake Eater II: The Drug Buster (1989).

Someone just ruined Jack "Soldier" Kelly´s sacred beer moment and is gonna get hurt!
 -

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terd, I watched A Christmas Story once, a few years ago, only because of others' recommendations. I didn't like it at all. I seriously like Christmas movies, and I even make it a point to watch som Hallmark Hall of Fame movies, but I just didn't like Christmas Story.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers aTomiK. I have not had the VCR set up since I got cable a few months back. I might dust it off tonight to watch some of my recently purchased VHS.

Now please don't give any plot points away on this one but I just picked up Dressed to Kill (1980) with Michael Caine & Angie ****inson. This was directed by Brian De Palma so I am reasonably hopeful on this one. It's got an 83% score on the Tomatometer. The cover looks pretty beat up so I hope the tape is OK.

Please no spoilers but just a thumbs up if you think its worth a watch.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dressed to kill should be a treat. I recall seeing it back in the 80s but don´t remember anything.
Perhaps a Brian De Palma marathon after the Burt Reynolds one which by the way starts tomorrow..

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dressed to Kill is great, a giallo type slasher with De Palma's usual nods to Hitchcock and the likes. Body Double is my fave of his, but this comes very close.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, I just watched it. The tape was in pretty good nick considering it was an original VHS ex-rental and 35 years old.

It was a pretty decent movie. Not as good as I hoped it might be. I thought the movie would go in a different direction than it did. It was very good but I think it could have been better. Definitely worth watching though and glad I picked it up because I was in two minds [Smile] about whether to get it or not.

Yeah, I think it was about on par with Body Double. Good to see Keith Gordon in this one too.

Thanks for the replies guys.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
A Christmas Story is loved by everyone I know- except me! I absolutely hate that movie. I don't know why, I can't put my finger on it, but I just can't watch it! It is on every year for a 24 hour rotation on the USA channel on Dec. 24th, Christmas Eve. How many times does one need to watch this pile of crap?!

24hr rotation,wow! Now that is overkill,ive got a feeling by the sounds of it if you was made to sit through that Pittsburghgirl you'd probably be somewhat suicidal [Big Grin]

-

This is one I've never seen before and that is the 1984 action adventure - Sheena starring Charlie's angels Tanya Roberts,looks daft but also looks like it could be fun.

https://youtu.be/x9aWo4hUz3II - Sheena trailer(1984).

Worth checking out anyone?

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barely made it through that one. But if you can hang with Beastmaster and stuff like that, im sure you'll be fine.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You.. you mean you don't like Beastmaster ??  -
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
I do not [Smile]
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm. Tanya Roberts
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Sheena is a dumb fun and a must have for Tanya Roberts fans. I own similiar R1 dvd.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I'll give Sheena a go I think,even if I'm not that taken in by the movie at least I'll still have Tanya Roberts to eye up!

A couple more here that I have never seen before which are currently added to my watchlist both from the 80s,first we have -

-

The 1988 comedy - moon over parador starring Richard dreyfuss,Sonia Braga and the late great Raul julia and then there is -

-

The 1981 Oliver stone horror - the hand starring Michael Caine which I've been wanting to watch for ages but have never got around to.

Are either of these worth checking out?

[ 03. December 2015, 00:25: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I like The Hand very much. Nice old school horror movie with great Michael Caine.

I have Moon Over Parador vhs tape but never seen the film.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Another one i'm very curious about and it is one you hardly hear mentioned and that is the 1984 crime comedy - crackers which has seriously good cast - jack warden is always really great no matter what he's in.
quote:
I remember seeing Crackers in the late 90s. As I recall it wasn't very good.
I always enjoyed Crackers, but it's an 80's movie that really isn't an '80's' movie - it's a 70's movie released in the 80's. If you go into it expecting something low-key and not expecting to laugh too much it's enjoyable.

quote:
quote:
Terd, I watched A Christmas Story once, a few years ago, only because of others' recommendations. I didn't like it at all. I seriously like Christmas movies, and I even make it a point to watch som Hallmark Hall of Fame movies, but I just didn't like Christmas Story.
It's not like other Christmas movies, which is why it stands out so much. It's more a movie about childhood and nostalgia. I remember when it was one of those movies nobody had ever heard of. It didn't do much when it first came out. I think if it hadn't become massively hyped retrospectively and you'd stumbled on it on TV or something, you may well have liked it.

quote:
The 1988 comedy - moon over parador starring Richard dreyfuss,Sonia Braga and the late great Raul julia
Silly but fun movie. Drefuss was on fire in the late 80's. He'd got his mojo back after kicking the drugs. His 'comeback' was 'Down and out in Beverly Hills' in '86, and from there he made a batch of enjoyable movies; this one; Let It Ride (a GREAT movie that needs viewing more than once); What About Bob (big at the time and a lot of fun - now largely forgotten); Tin Men (fun); Stakeout (fun).
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Skullduggery. Should I watch it?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

never seen this one before terdnthepoolggb and from the artwork it looks interesting enough but from what i've read it seems to be a bit of a stinker!

here's a couple of random reviews over on imdb and it only scored a seriously low 2.2 overall score -

This movie made me hate life itself.
1/10
Author: evano90 from Canada
13 July 2005

I loved this film, I am a weirdo [Big Grin]
Author: skex123 from Canada
14 October 2005

I rented it!!! Someone please help me!!
Author: Romana-5 from Good Old USofA
9 February 2001

so i'd say approach with caution terd as the overall oppinion on it seems to be extremely negative!

[ 16. December 2015, 17:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Loose Cannons... LOL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

That's the one I have YW. Those reviews are hilarious. Thanx for posting them. I will give it a go some time.
I haven't seen Loose cannons Crash. Sorry I am no help whatsoever

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I've seen loose cannons when it first came out but can remember next to nothing from it,I know siskel absolutely loved it - https://youtu.be/sS1X0iI1CH4 - not! [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home