iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macon County Line does look pretty decent Johnny and like you say in the same vein as Badlands and it sort of reminds me a bit of something like William Fruet's Trapped aka Baker County U.S.A with the creepy looking Henry Silva.

[ 30. April 2018, 15:04: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3464 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Macon County Line is nowhere near Badlands in tone or quality. It's a cheap, but entertaining enough, AIP B-film that made an incredible amount of money way back in 1974, during a sort of "Southern" action (or "hicksploitation," if you will) film period with films like this one, Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, and the Walking Tall series. The problem that I have with the film is that it takes forever to get going. When it does, though, it's pretty much classic mid-70s drive-in stuff. But for some reason, it's been lost in time. No one really remembers it or talks about it, despite being such a sensation for AIP at the time. (I remember that the TV spot for it ran all the time.)

What's really interesting is that it was written by and starred Max Baer, Jr., in a role that couldn't have been further away from his Jethro character on the sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies.

The less said about the sequel-in-name only, Return to Macon County, the better. It takes a completely different, more light-hearted tone--and the drive-in elements were dialed way down. It's notable for having early performances from Nick Nolte and Don Johnson. But other than that, it's not good and completely forgettable. Why AIP watered down their hit is anyone's guess.

[ 01. May 2018, 10:15: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2105 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen both of these (below) going cheap on VHS and I'm in two minds whether to give them a go or not?

I'd be surprised if many have seen either but I thought it worth a try!

-

First is this 1988 Italian Rocky knock off Bloodfight aka The Opponent aka Uppercut Man by Sergio Martino and starring Daniel Greene who paired up together in the fun Italian sci-fi flick Fists Of Steel this also stars Ernest Borgnine.

If so was it any good?

And also -

-

1985 Cannon Films erotic drama Mata Hari starring Sylvia Kristel,Christopher Cazenove and is set during the 1st World War.

Anyone know if it's worth a watch?

[ 24. June 2018, 11:57: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3464 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do own Mata Hari on VHS but haven´t had time to watch it yet.
Bloodfight aka The Opponent was also released here back in the day and i´ve also wondered if i should get it.

Great Enzo Sciotti poster art there!

Posts: 7283 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah the poster art looks cool for the Opponent (Bloodfight) and that cheap copy on eBay got snapped up by somebody but if it comes up again at a decent price I'll give it a shot!
Charles De Mar
Rewinder
Member # 37574

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Charles De Mar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a good one, Anthony Edwards before ER.
Linda Fiorentino is amazing as always.

-

Posts: 35 | From: On top of the K2 | Registered: Sep 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home