iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

Leo Logan has just posted on 80s Blu Ray's coming soon thread that the 1985 action adventure King Solomon's Mines is coming to Blu Ray from Olive Films in February 2017 and I was wondering is it worth checking out?

I've seen the sequel Allan Quartermain And The Lost City Of Gold which I thought was pretty bad but I have read that the original is easily the better out of the two and unlike the sequel I can actually remember this doing the rounds at the theatres and was an altogether bigger budgeted affair plus it was also directed by the talented J Lee Thompson!

Anyone seen it?

Haha, well it´s better than Firewalker which isn´t much really.
I suggest you grab a sixpack before watching it [Big Grin]

Posts: 6954 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second the vote about getting a six-pack. The Allan Quartermain films are the Cannon/Grade D versions of the Indiana Jones films. The first one is marginally--and I do mean marginally--better than the second one. And Firewalker.
Posts: 2024 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the second one and that was tough going and you say this one is only marginally better. Oh Dear!

I think I'll give this one a wide birth and Firewalker which I watched again recently on Blu-ray rental I found that one a bit of a slog considering it was supposed to be a Action Comedy it actually had very little of either on display!

Posts: 3254 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, these movies are great fun.. i love all three of them, and i am not ashamed to admit it ! [Big Grin]

Although i do think there's some nostalgia involved here, as i've seen all three when they first came out on video.
If i hadn't seen them before, and would watch them for the first time nowadays, my opinion could be completely different.

I also think it would have been wiser to release King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quatermain And The Lost City Of Gold
as a double-feature on blu-ray rather than two seperate releases, especially since there are no special features.

Posts: 2013 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong Johnny I didn't think that Firewalker was terrible and the both times that I have watched it I have made it through to the very end and also I did like the pairing of Norris and Lou Gossett it's just that I thought the film really lacked in the action department especially for a mid 80s Cannon films Norris Action Adventure!

If they'd picked up the pace a bit more and made things that more explosive I think it would have made it so much more fun!

I also think it would have made more sense for them to release them both (King Solomon's/Quartermain) together as a double feature but I suppose this is Olive Films we are talking about that can barely even scrape a trailer together for there releases!

Posts: 3254 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name Quartermain alone makes me want to watch it. So cool
Posts: 1530 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Going through my VHS and I spotted these two that have been sitting around for years and I have never got around to watching them - The Playboy's from 1992 and Soapdish from 1991.

Well I've finally got around to watching The Playboy's and must say I really enjoyed it but have still yet to check out Soapdish, anyone watched it before and if so what should I expect is it a worthy watch?

It's definitely got a good cast whatever!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would burn soapdish.

Saw Three for the Road at the DAV. I almost bought it but thought I would consult the experts first. I'm pretty sure I saw this back in the day since I liked Sheen at the time, not so much now. Chan't remember anything about it

Posts: 1530 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three for the Road is a harmless road movie with a cool cast. A chance to see Alan Ruck right after Ferris, lovely Kerri Green and yes, i still like Charlie [Wink]
So, what are you wating for [Smile] I need to revisit this one myself one of these days.

Here´s some TftR talk: http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/6061.html#000000

Posts: 6954 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

Haha. Thanx aTomik. Ill go back and get it
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I'd like to check out Three For The Road but the UK VHS is really scarce, I'd say go for it Terd as the cast what with Sheen,Alan Ruck etc it sounds a good one!

-

I have seen this early 90s Michael J Fox comedy before on VHS upon its original release under the alternative title of The Concierge but remember very little about it,anyhow they have a lot of Universal movie Blu Ray titles for 2 for 10 UK pounds here in the UK at the moment and not sure whether it's worth grabbing or not?

Also what was Clint Eastwood's The Eiger Sanction like and also The Beguiled (which again I haven't seen for many years) and also the film Breezy which he directed like?

Looked back at previous posts and Breezy seems quite highly regarded!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Just been notified that i have The Blue Lagoon on Blu Ray coming as my next rental,so not so much a should i watch this as i will no doubt certainly watch it but is it any good?

[ 11. April 2017, 00:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Entertaining film, here´s some Blue Lagoon talk: http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/10008.html#000000
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

The Prince of Pennsylvania with Fred ward and Keanu Reeves. Any good?
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
The Prince of Pennsylvania with Fred ward and Keanu Reeves. Any good?

I would like to know if it is any good too, Terd. I had started watching it a long time ago, but only got about 15 minutes into it, got busy with stuff, and forgot about it. When I did remember about it, it had been taken down from the free movies on VOD on Comcast.
Posts: 1993 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have this finnish vhs tape.
The Prince of Pennsylvania is a decent comedy-drama with good performances from Reeves, Ward, Bonnie Bedelia and Amy Madigan.
It´s of course a must see for 80s Reeves fans.

-

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the cover art!
Posts: 1993 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I'd like to check out The Prince Of Pennsylvania as it looks interesting and Fred Ward tends to be always great!

-

Caught the last few minutes of this spy thriller on UK channel Movies4men over the weekend and it seemed fairly decent and with a good cast including Martin Sheen and Sam Neill.

https://youtu.be/gfKH0AjngDM - Enigma trailer (1982).

Anyone ever caught this one?

[ 28. June 2017, 13:00: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Never heard of Enigma and now i know why, it was banned here in Finland! [Smile]

I knew that the finnish government were very careful with the soviets during the cold war but this is ridiculous.
I would love to see this "dangerous" film [Big Grin]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

A bit like Renny Harlin's Born American which I did read somewhere was the last film to banned by the Finnish government to protect its foreign relations between itself and it's big next door neighbour!

I can remember picking up the Enigma VHS/beta cover back in the day Atomik but never got around to renting it out but what I caught of it at the weekend on the box it seemed pretty decent overall!

-

Quite an elusive film but I know there's a German wide-screen Dvd release with an English audio track out there and I think though not certain that there's also an old budget UK Dvd release if not there's always the old UK Guild Home video version from above.

[ 28. June 2017, 12:55: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

This films so obscure I can't even find a trailer for it but the whole movie is up on YouTube and I'm wondering before I sit through it at some point if anyone else has ever watched 1987s The Stranger starring Die Hard's Bonnie Bedelia and if so is it worth watching?

Also this one -

-

Not overly familiar with this 1981 crime drama starring Albert Finney and Martin Sheen one of whom's a career criminal (Finney) and the other who's an unemployed architect (Sheen) who plot to break into one of London's most secure bank vaults!

Anyone ever seen this one as well and if so was it anygood?

https://youtu.be/gsgHW4sm9aA - Loophole trailer (1981).

[ 17. July 2017, 10:48: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen both The Stranger and Loophole, and to be honest, until your post, I'd forgotten that both of them even existed. I remember a little more about Loophole, an OK heist film. Finney and Sheen are good, but it's not really memorable, and it's kind of dully filmed as I recall the trailer. As for The Stranger, I know that I saw it on Cinemax circa 1988--it didn't get much of a release in the U.S.--but other than the movie's setting as Argentina and the always- watchable Bonnie Bedelia has amnesia, I had literally wiped this film from my memory.

Let me know if either one is worth revisiting. [Smile]

Posts: 2024 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

The Man With One Red Shoe
Three Fujitives

They are both on Netflix. Are they worth watching?

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Crash neither sound like a hidden gem but I'll check them both out at some point and let you know my thoughts!

Watched both of those Pittsburghgirl and actually own The Man With One Red Shoe which while not being classed as one of the better Tom Hanks comedies I still find to be quite amusing and with a really good support cast including Carrie Fisher,Charles Durning,Lori Singer,James Belushi,Edward Hermann and Dabney Coleman!

Three Fugitives I haven't seen in years but if memory serves me right it was another fairly decent comedy but I do think that in all truth I'd have to watch it again before giving an honest opinion of it!

Talking of Martin Short has anyone seen this romantic comedy before -

-

Cross My Heart from 1987 and if so was it anygood?

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
This one I have seen and remember: Cross My Heart is one of those movies that almost defines the term "harmless." You have likeable leads in a rom-com that really isn't anything special or memorable. Martin Short is amazingly talented. It's a shame that he wasn't utilized better back in the 80s.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home