iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

Leo Logan has just posted on 80s Blu Ray's coming soon thread that the 1985 action adventure King Solomon's Mines is coming to Blu Ray from Olive Films in February 2017 and I was wondering is it worth checking out?

I've seen the sequel Allan Quartermain And The Lost City Of Gold which I thought was pretty bad but I have read that the original is easily the better out of the two and unlike the sequel I can actually remember this doing the rounds at the theatres and was an altogether bigger budgeted affair plus it was also directed by the talented J Lee Thompson!

Anyone seen it?

Haha, well it´s better than Firewalker which isn´t much really.
I suggest you grab a sixpack before watching it [Big Grin]

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second the vote about getting a six-pack. The Allan Quartermain films are the Cannon/Grade D versions of the Indiana Jones films. The first one is marginally--and I do mean marginally--better than the second one. And Firewalker.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the second one and that was tough going and you say this one is only marginally better. Oh Dear!

I think I'll give this one a wide birth and Firewalker which I watched again recently on Blu-ray rental I found that one a bit of a slog considering it was supposed to be a Action Comedy it actually had very little of either on display!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, these movies are great fun.. i love all three of them, and i am not ashamed to admit it ! [Big Grin]

Although i do think there's some nostalgia involved here, as i've seen all three when they first came out on video.
If i hadn't seen them before, and would watch them for the first time nowadays, my opinion could be completely different.

I also think it would have been wiser to release King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quatermain And The Lost City Of Gold
as a double-feature on blu-ray rather than two seperate releases, especially since there are no special features.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong Johnny I didn't think that Firewalker was terrible and the both times that I have watched it I have made it through to the very end and also I did like the pairing of Norris and Lou Gossett it's just that I thought the film really lacked in the action department especially for a mid 80s Cannon films Norris Action Adventure!

If they'd picked up the pace a bit more and made things that more explosive I think it would have made it so much more fun!

I also think it would have made more sense for them to release them both (King Solomon's/Quartermain) together as a double feature but I suppose this is Olive Films we are talking about that can barely even scrape a trailer together for there releases!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name Quartermain alone makes me want to watch it. So cool
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Going through my VHS and I spotted these two that have been sitting around for years and I have never got around to watching them - The Playboy's from 1992 and Soapdish from 1991.

Well I've finally got around to watching The Playboy's and must say I really enjoyed it but have still yet to check out Soapdish, anyone watched it before and if so what should I expect is it a worthy watch?

It's definitely got a good cast whatever!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would burn soapdish.

Saw Three for the Road at the DAV. I almost bought it but thought I would consult the experts first. I'm pretty sure I saw this back in the day since I liked Sheen at the time, not so much now. Chan't remember anything about it

Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three for the Road is a harmless road movie with a cool cast. A chance to see Alan Ruck right after Ferris, lovely Kerri Green and yes, i still like Charlie [Wink]
So, what are you wating for [Smile] I need to revisit this one myself one of these days.

Here´s some TftR talk: http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/6061.html#000000

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Haha. Thanx aTomik. Ill go back and get it
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I'd like to check out Three For The Road but the UK VHS is really scarce, I'd say go for it Terd as the cast what with Sheen,Alan Ruck etc it sounds a good one!

-

I have seen this early 90s Michael J Fox comedy before on VHS upon its original release under the alternative title of The Concierge but remember very little about it,anyhow they have a lot of Universal movie Blu Ray titles for 2 for 10 UK pounds here in the UK at the moment and not sure whether it's worth grabbing or not?

Also what was Clint Eastwood's The Eiger Sanction like and also The Beguiled (which again I haven't seen for many years) and also the film Breezy which he directed like?

Looked back at previous posts and Breezy seems quite highly regarded!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Anybody seen this 1988 comedy The Invisible Kid starring Jay Underwood and Karen Black (Invaders From Mars) and if so is it worth checking out for a few laughs?

There's a budget dvd I've seen doing the rounds on different sites which I might just grab anyway!

https://youtu.be/1nyhGGGaxBo - The Invisible Kid (1987) trailer.

TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

Anybody seen this 1988 comedy The Invisible Kid starring Jay Underwood and Karen Black (Invaders From Mars) and if so is it worth checking out for a few laughs?

There's a budget dvd I've seen doing the rounds on different sites which I might just grab anyway!

https://youtu.be/1nyhGGGaxBo - The Invisible Kid (1987) trailer.

I probably haven't seen this since 88 so my memory may be cloudy, from what I remember it was below average, obviously has a few scenes a teenage boy in the 80's was looking for but I don't remember it even being that funny. It's no Weird Science. [Smile]

I have to admit I own this but it is still in it's cellophane wrapper, I may crack it open.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I watched The Invisible Kid, it's very clearly as low budget as I remember, don't get me wrong there are some amusing bits in it. Some of the acting is way over the top.

I tried watching it when I posted my original comment but I had to turn it off because I wasn't in the right mood, I think you have to be to watch this. I did get through it yesterday and found myself smiling at a few bits but not much.

I would rate it 3.762 out of 10.

I think I'm glad I watched it again but do feel my time could have been better spent. [Smile]

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers for checking it out Hoff I might give it a rental instead of going for the blind buy as it sounds a little bit underwhelming and not quite the hidden gem that I thought I'd perhaps missed out on!

[ 16. October 2019, 10:44: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home