iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Not sure whether I have ever asked about this one before but has anyone seen this Steve Martin comedy from 1994 which is directed by Nora Ephron and I believe set around the Xmas holidays at a crisis hotline business?

Here's a few of of Martin's films I've yet to see -

Novocaine
Grand Canyon
The Spanish Prisoner
A Simple Twist Of Fate
Leap Of Faith
Pennies From Heaven
Movers & Shakers
Mixed Nuts
Pink Panther 1 & 2
The Big Year
It's Complicated

[ 17. November 2016, 16:33: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mixed Nuts--bad, misfire from Nora Ephron

Novocaine--weird, funny black comedy. I liked it.

Grand Canyon--serious Lawrence "The Big Chill" Kasdan film. Very good.

The Spanish Prison--brilliant David Mamet mindbender. Steve Martin in a completely straight part--Ed O'Neil in one too--is exceptionally good. I love this film.

A Simple Twist of Fate--one of Martin's serious forays, based on Silas Marner. It's okay for what it is, and it does tug the heartstrings.

Leap of Faith--Martin as a phony faith healer. He's good, as you'd expect, but the film is kind of a fizzle.

Pennies from Heaven--You'll either love it or hate it. There's no in-between. Based on an acclaimed BBC TV series by Dennis Potter, it's a truly depressing musical. It looks great, cast is great--brilliant Christopher Walken song-and-dance number--and I can admire the craftsmanship. But it's really depressing. Really. The way Martin degrades Jessica Harper as his wife will have you just cringe.

Movers & Shakers--not bad film about the industry with a lot of inside jokes. Decent.

Pink Panther films--a lot of folks slag on Martin and these films, but he was the perfect choice to redo Clouseau. And while they aren't close to the Peter Sellers films, they do generate some good laughs. Kevin Kline is good as Martin's boss.

I have not seen The Big Year and It's Complicated.

[ 18. November 2016, 14:35: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Complicated was not bad. Worth one watch.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers Crash and Helen I'll gradually check a few of these out!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I've just not long ordered a cheap Blu Ray copy of the fantasy film krull,never seen it before and I was planning to watch it with my 9 year old son when it arrives,i watched The Last Starfighter,Big Trouble in Little China, The Gate and The Monster Squad with him throughout the year and he loved them all!

What should I expect from Krull is it pretty good fun and something that will make for a good family viewing?

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here´s another one who´s never seen it. Maybe it´s time to finally pick it up from the shelf.
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Krull for the first time when i was still a kid. It's a likable fantasy adventure, for sure.
I don't have the blu-ray, but do own the older dvd version.

Warrior, make it a double-feature with The Neverending Story for maximum impact !

I wish i could experience these movies just as intense as i did when i was young.. Good memories ! [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've not seen The Never Ending Story either but I know my son's got it on DVD so I will check it out.

-

Has anyone watched the sci-fi flick The Ice Pirates before and if so is that pretty good fun?

[ 29. November 2016, 07:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ice Pirates is an okay time killer. It has a few funny bits, and Robert Urich, always a likeable lead, is good. The cast seemed like they were having a good time. It's a shame that Urich never had a movie career. He was a solid actor with good screen presence.

[ 29. November 2016, 18:16: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also stars Mary Crosby, the chick who shot J.R. Ewing.
As it happens, i just started watching Dallas season 4 where the shooter is revealed [Smile]

Anyway, Crash is right. I recall that it´s a decent time waster and another one i should rewatch.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I'll check it out though I'll probably rent it first,sort of reminds me a bit of Space Hunter Adventures In The Forbidden Zone which I found to be quite imaginative and a blast to watch when I watched it for the first time the other year!

I reckon J.R had it coming to him he always was a nasty bit of work! [Big Grin]

Can you remember Dynasty Atomik and the spin off called the Colby's where there was a crazy Alien abduction scene involving the beautiful Emma Samms - https://youtu.be/ju8YH6ewoqQ

[ 29. November 2016, 11:31: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I know Dynasty very well and also own few season sets but i´ve never seen The Colbys.
Now that was pretty OTT stuff there, thanks for sharing [Big Grin]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh thanx aTomik. I hadn't made it to the episode of who shot JR yet. Completely ruined it for me
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just yanking your chain aTomik
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
No problems Terd, so you didn´t notice that it was on the cover of People mag yesterday [Wink]

-

One could argue with the line "he career takes off like a speeding bullet"...

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Takes off like a slow moving horse and cart?"

Krull has a good cast, and all the ingredients to be a great action movie, but the plot flaws just weaken the film too much. Think of it as a series of good set pieces but not a great movie. Lysette Anthony looked great but for some reason they chose to dub her voice with an American actress.

Ice Pirates is a low-budget blast. Everyone is having fun and clearly not taking the film too seriously. I agree with Crash; Robert Urich was always likeable and seemed permanently on the cusp of being a bigger star. He'll always be 'Spenser for Hire' to me.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I, too, loved Robert Urich as Spenser. Having read almost all of the Robert B. Parker Spenser books, I have to say that he was perfectly cast, as was Avery Brooks as Hawk and the female leads. I thought that the show really captured the feel of the books, the later made-in-Canada TV movies perhaps not as much, but Urich as Spenser has always been a favorite with me.

One more thing about The Ice Pirates. It was directed by Stewart Raffill, who also did cool films like High Risk and The Philadelphia Experiment, along with junk like Tammy and the T-Rex and Mac and Me. He was a very underrated director with a good eye for action and shot composition. It's a pity that while he flirted with becoming a big-budget, studio-film guy, he just didn't quite make it.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm going to sue Spielberg! When I saw ET I could tell that he'd ripped off a story I wrote about a young boy who befriends a lost alien and they both build a special bond before the alien has to go home!"
"Wow. That does sound the same. What was it called?"
"Mac and Me."

He does seem to have had a patchy career. I really like Ice Pirates and the Philidelphia Experiment. Never seen High Risk but it sounds good to me.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
The Philadelphia Experiment is clearly Raffill's best film. I believe that for a while John Carpenter was going to direct it. He's listed as an Executive Producer in the credits. The Ice Pirates is indeed very entertaining. High Risk is ridiculous--four ordinary guys, all good actors like Ernest Borgnine, decide to rip off a Colombian drug lord--but it's a lot of B-movie fun. When I lived in Philadelphia in the early 80s, local newspaper critic Joe Baltake was a huge Raffill fan (probably the only one), going so far as to praising his earlier family films like The Sea Gypsies. I think Baltake still works for some syndication service. I used to love reading his stuff. He was the rare critic who wasn't a snob and really appreciated films on their merits, despite the budget or genre. For example, he also liked Albert Pyun's The Sword and the Sorcerer and raved about Abel Ferrara's Ms. 45 My kind of critic!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

High risk is a blast and certainly worth hunting down Logan and it's a pity that it has been so neglected over the years despite it having a very solid cast.

I have a budget Dvd of it but the picture quality is attrocious and more like a VHS rip and a bad one at that!

-

The Philadelphia Experiment is also a really fun movie,never seen Mac and Me but from the trailer alone and the gif image above it looks hilariously bad!

Joe Baltake sounds like my kind of film critic Crash!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
One of the coolest gif images ever!

Too bad my Mac and Me tape was damaged but i believe there´s another one lying around somewhere. I need to investigate.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
That's just about the best thing I've heard all week: that you actually have an extra copy of Mac and Me. LOL
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Too bad my Mac and Me tape was damaged
File under 'phrases you never thought you'd hear'...

Found High Risk on Youtube... that poster makes it look like a comedy, but it's playing more like a thriller!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
[QUOTE]

Found High Risk on Youtube... that poster makes it look like a comedy, but it's playing more like a thriller!

Your right Logan from what I remember it's more of an action/thriller with the odd comedic moment,i looked at the picture quality on YouTube and like my DVD it leaves a lot to be desired and I think the only time I have watched this with a half decent picture clarity is when it aired on the box from time to time late at night on BBC 1 here back in the day.

Certainly needs a re-release on either Dvd or Blu-ray and I'd imagine someone sooner or later will pick it up!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Leo Logan has just posted on 80s Blu Ray's coming soon thread that the 1985 action adventure King Solomon's Mines is coming to Blu Ray from Olive Films in February 2017 and I was wondering is it worth checking out?

I've seen the sequel Allan Quartermain And The Lost City Of Gold which I thought was pretty bad but I have read that the original is easily the better out of the two and unlike the sequel I can actually remember this doing the rounds at the theatres and was an altogether bigger budgeted affair plus it was also directed by the talented J Lee Thompson!

Anyone seen it?

[ 08. December 2016, 14:45: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home