iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YW. I love Miracle Beach. Not great by any means but it has an 80s feel to me. Plus Amy Dolenz
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers terd I will definitely look at picking it up,i still need to get Ski School at some point which also looks like a lot of fun!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone familiar with this UK film, Forever Young (1983)?

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems like a really obscure movie Atomik as I can't find much in the way of reviews or even spot a trailer for it online,i've definitely not seen it before.

From the poster alone it looks pretty interesting and I see the director David Dury went on to direct Defense Of The Realm which I have never seen but have heard mostly good things about and he was also behind the enjoyable Boxing Drama Split Decisions starring Craig Sheffer and the great Gene Hackman.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it seems like an interesting film. Just bought the tape, i hope it´s in good condition.
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Anyone seen the 1986 thriller Half Moon Street with Sigourney Weaver and Michael Caine and if so is it worth checking out?

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think i have the vhs tape. I´m going to investigate [Smile]
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I remember Half Moon Street being out when I was a kid. Alas, I have never seen it.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not much help to you guys. Sorry bout that.

Should I watch TRUE BELIEVER with James Woods and Robert Downey JR. I love Woods and like most movies I have seen with him but Im not big on Downey except for the fact that he is a very recognizable 80s figure

Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I think I vaguely remember True Believer being not too bad Terd but it's been an absolute age since i've seen it.

I reckon you should give it a go as Woods is normally terrific and the film has gained some great reviews over the years!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Ill give it a go Warrior. Thanx!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I've seen this 1984 Steve Martin comedy a couple of times over the years but remember very little from it,anyhow I've seen it going for a very decent price on DVD and was wondering if it's perhaps worth a cheap pick up?

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh, meh, meh. This is one of those completely forgotten 80s comedies like Lovesick, Simon, or Unfaithfully Yours that has a good cast, germ of a good idea, but is ultimately forgettable. The only thing that I remember about The Lonely Guy is that Charles Grodin was funnier than Steve Martin.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Crash I might still give it a go as it's about the same price as a rental,Unfaithfully Yours it's been a while since I've watched that one and from memory I think I remember it being quite a slow affair that only really comes alive towards the very end!

Dudley done the odd stinker in his time and though i've never seen it I hear that Best Defense with Eddie Murphy was supposedly one of his worse.

-

Anyone out there seen Best Defense from 1984 and is it really as bad as its reputation would have you believe?

[ 06. November 2016, 17:46: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Both Lonely Guy and Best Defense are decent films but they should be much better.

Agree with Crash that Grodin is funnier than Martin in Lonely Guy and as good as Eddie Murphy was back in those days, his copy/paste scenes in Best Defense just won´t work.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Charles Grodin is brilliant. He's so low-keyed and deadpan that it looks like he's not even trying to get laughs. Yet that hang-dog expression and delivery make me laugh every time. Midnight Run is his forgotten masterpiece. He is hilarious and DeNiro, way out of character, is the perfect foil. Great film.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Midnight Run is a classic and yeah, it really feels like he´s not even trying [Smile]
Have you seen Sunburn (1979) and/or It´s My Turn (1980)? I have the tapes and wonder if he steals those from Michael Douglas and Farrah fawcett [Big Grin]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I can barely recall Sunburn other than it's not very good. It's My Turn is okay, and Grodin steals that one too.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Meh, meh, meh. This is one of those completely forgotten 80s comedies like Lovesick, Simon, or Unfaithfully Yours that has a good cast, germ of a good idea, but is ultimately forgettable.
I'll pitch in with my 'Best Defence' of Lonely Guy - hahhahhahahhahaaaaaaaaa! SHOOT ME!

I really like Lonely Guy which is loosely based on a guide for life book. It has some slapsticky stuff in it that doesn't entirely work, and the third act doesn't really match the opening in terms of laughs. However it does have some genuinely good scenes like Steve trying to find the girls number in the phone directory, and the cop asking Grodin whether the store that he got his celebrity party friend standees had Gene Hackman.

However, this:

quote:
The only thing that I remember about The Lonely Guy is that Charles Grodin was funnier than Steve Martin.
I think that Charles Grodin is brilliant. He's so low-keyed and deadpan that it looks like he's not even trying to get laughs. Yet that hang-dog expression and delivery make me laugh every time.

Is totally true. He steals the show by doing almost nothing. The bit where he's sitting on the sofa staring in front of himself and the phone rings, then before he answers it he has to practise speaking before picking up kills me every time.

'Unfaithfully Yours' is a remake, but as others have said it's a little slow with a fun third act. 'Lovesick' doesn't work entirely, but Elizabeth McGovern is lovely. I really have a soft spot for Dudley Moore. However, I haven't seen Best Defence since it came out, and I remember it being awful. Apparently they just shoved the Murphy stuff in when they knew it was a turkey to try and cash in on his growing popularity.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Yeah, Grodin has some really memorable scenes in The Lonely Guy. He can be funny just sitting around.

I agree with you on Unfaithfully Yours. It kind of picks up a bit in the third act. Elizabeth McGovern was always welcome in an 80s movie for me too, even if it wasn't so hot like Lovesick, Ragtime, or From the Hip. She always had an approachable, pleasant, girl-next-door look.

I always liked Dudley Moore even back to his days with Peter Cook. They were a hilarious duo, but then they had a falling out.

Lost Cook and Moore

As Moore's Hollywood bankability increased after Arthur, unfortunately, the good roles didn't, which was a real shame. He was such a gifted comedian and jazz pianist, who died too young.

Best Defense is terrible as is Chevy Chase's Deal of the Century on kind of the same subject matter.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Looking at Dudley's IMDB page there's quite a few of his I've yet to watch

Here's a few I've never seen -

The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1978)
Foul Play
Six Weeks
Wholly Moses - which I do actually own.
Lovesick
Romantic Comedy
Best Defense
Santa Claus
Blame it on the Bellboy

From the ones I have seen here's a few that I liked

Arthur and to a lesser degree its sequel
Micki + Maude
Unfaithfully Yours i thought was not too bad
Crazy People I liked quite a bit
Like Father Like Son I thought Dudley was pretty great in that!

I'm probably one of the very few that didn't dislike the mentioned Chevy Chase comedy Deal Of The Century though will admit that it's pretty short on laughs,performances were all pretty decent though especially Gregory Hines who much like Charles Grodin by the sounds of it steals the show!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Bit late in the day really to ask should I watch this or not as I saw it going dirt cheap and thought what the hell and went and ordered it but what should I expect from this 1979 Comedy Western starring Kirk Douglas and Arnold Schwarzenegger?

-

Also another blind buy I saw this also going really cheap on Amazon despite the fact It's only been out a couple of weeks on Blu Ray over here in the UK so I ordered it and that is the sci - fi adventure Solarbabies aka Solar Warriors,i like the cast what with Jami Gertz and Jason Patric and I know chances are it's going to be a bit silly but i am sort of hoping for something along the lines of the awesome Prayer Of The Rollerboys!

So what should I expect from these are they both big Turkey's that I should save for Xmas or are they actually good fun flicks that I need to check out A.S.A.P?

[ 13. November 2016, 10:24: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Looking at Dudley's IMDB page there's quite a few of his I've yet to watch

Here's a few I've never seen -

The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1978)
Foul Play
Six Weeks
Wholly Moses - which I do actually own.
Lovesick
Romantic Comedy
Best Defense
Santa Claus
Blame it on the Bellboy

From the ones I have seen here's a few that I liked

Arthur and to a lesser degree its sequel
Micki + Maude
Unfaithfully Yours i thought was not too bad
Crazy People I liked quite a bit
Like Father Like Son I thought Dudley was pretty great in that!

I'm probably one of the very few that didn't dislike the mentioned Chevy Chase comedy Deal Of The Century though will admit that it's pretty short on laughs,performances were all pretty decent though especially Gregory Hines who much like Charles Grodin by the sounds of it steals the show!

Of the ones that you haven't seen, the only one that I'd really recommend is Foul Play, which is a sharply paced and funny Hitchcock take-off, the first pairing of Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn. (They have excellent chemistry.) Dudley has a small part as a symphony conductor. The rest of them are pretty lackluster. Lovesick or Romantic Comedy would be next best, but they are pretty weak. Wholly Moses has maybe two laughs, and as noted before, The Best Defense is terrible. The Peter Cook/Dudley Moore version of The Hound of the Baskervilles is really bad, almost unwatchable, which is a real shame coming from one of the funniest Brit comedy duos of all time. Santa Claus: The Movie is a truly boring kids' movie. I can't remember much about Blame it on the Bellboy, which should tell you how good it is. And finally, Six Weeks has Dudley, Mary Tyler Moore, and a little girl who has six weeks to live. It's a dreadful tearjerker.

Now that you've listed the Dudley Moore filmography, I am astounded remembering how many crummy films he did in his career. It's a shame. He was a funny, talented guy. Apart from Arthur, a terrific film, and to a lesser extent 10, his film career never lived up to its promise.

[ 14. November 2016, 06:15: Message edited by: Crash ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, you´ve already seen the best Dudley films.

Cactus Jack is really goofy stuff, like live action Roadrunner vs. Tasmanian Devil film.
I love Ann-Margret though so i´m happy to have it in my collection [Wink]

I remember that Solarwarriors/babies was decent but it really needs a rewatch.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers guys I'll approach any of Dudley's other works with extreme caution!

Like you say it's a pity that a guy so talented had so many flops to his name.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home