iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Waxwork (1988) which was a small disappointment.
The cast is great but the dialog and how the characters behave leaves a lot to be desired. Late 80s syndrome strikes again i guess.
There´s few nice set pieces, especially the b/w Zach Galligan cemetery visit. Nice Night of the living Dead homage.
I´m going to check out the sequel too but don´t expect much.

Another one i watched was Tobe Hooper´s 1977 hotel shocker Eaten Alive aka Death Trap aka Hotel Horror aka Starlight Slaughter [Smile]
I liked this one. It has wacky characters, unique feel (shot entirely on soundstage), madness and pure despair.
The Arrow release includes interesting extra material.

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were disppointed in Waxwork I wouldn't bother with the sequel. Big drop down.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
The House with Windows that Laugh (I've always preferred that title.) Pupi Avati! Have you seen Zeder a/k/a Voices from the Beyond a/k/a Revenge of the Dead? Avati can make a swaying tree branch or a gust of wind frightening. Every time I walk past a cemetery at night I think of THAT scene in Zeder. If I ever get the chance to program movies at a Con, there's going to be a Pupi Avati double feature starting at midnight, followed by Robot Monster. Just because! Aside: There was an on-line campaign by the Alamo Drafthouse Theater to get enough funds to remaster an obscure 70s film called The Astrologer from its only remaining print. If you contributed $500, you would get to program a double feature on Wednesday night at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas, and introduce the movies on stage. Sadly, I learned about the campaign too late so there was no Pupi Avati night.

Haha [Smile] No, I haven't seen Zeder yet.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zeder comes very close to masterpiece status !

It starts out as some sort of detective story.. gets increasingly creepy as it goes along..
and builds to a truly haunting, heart-shattering finale that stays with you long after the movie has ended.

Contrary to what the American re-title may suggest, just don't expect a zombie movie. It's something completely different.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
If you were disppointed in Waxwork I wouldn't bother with the sequel. Big drop down.

-

Been ages since I've watched waxworks 2 - lost In time so i cant give you a proper oppininion on it atomik but I did really like the 1988 original and thought it was a lot of fun.

I'll have to look out for part 2 to give it another go but I do think I also vaguely remember it being a bit disappointing when compared to the first.

Eaten alive I too also really like and think that it's definitely underrated amongst tobe Hopper's films,a bit like funhouse I don't think that gets given the credit it deserves!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eaten Alive is such a favorite of mine, simply because Neville Brand is brilliant as old Judd. For every minute that he is on screen, you don't see any acting. You feel like you are in the presence of a true lunatic. He's wonderful with such great dialogue like, "Croc'll eat a horse. Croc'll eat you too!" I also like the hilariously weepy country and western music that he plays in the motel. ("And I can't go back to Houston...cuz I killed an innocent man.") It's a movie that exists in its own bizarro universe.

Also glad to see another Zeder fan out there! It's a stunning film--so creepy--and, Johnny, you are right: That ending--like the ending of The House with Windows that Laugh--will just stick with you forever.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Yeah it is a great film crash,have you seen - the funhouse and what's your take on that,first time I ever watched it I didn't really warm to it but since watching it a few times since I've grown to really like it.

Tobe Hopper's another one who's career seemed to totally peter out in the late 80s,though I don't dislike some of his latter efforts - the mangler,the toolbox murders etc i'd say he's done more than his fair share of stinkers of late!

-

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a soft spot for The Funhouse. It's really pretty good, and William Finley, who was always excellent, never got the credit he deserved in his lifetime. Hooper is such a maddening talent. Out of the box, he makes one for the ages, and then post-80s, it's been one mess after another. His two Masters of Horror episodes were the worst of that series, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of his genie film. A real shame. Either he really had talent and lost it or lightening struck with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, never to be repeated.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Funhouse is the only 80s Hooper film i´ve never seen so i´m going to watch it next.
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I too enjoy The Funhouse. But I am a sucker for nighttime fairground scenes.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1992) which once again had some good scenes but overall was pretty average stuff.
Few interesting "guests" in this one though: Bruce Campbell, David Carradine, Drew Barrymore...
It feels like Hickox was only a fanboy with all these movie etc. references and mishmashed them all together.

Another one i watched was the very good carnival shocker The Funhouse (1981).
It starts slowly which was a good thing because you care about the character when the killing begins.
Elizabeth Berridge was phenomenal in the leading role and i also liked Kevin Conway very much. All in all, another entertaining Tobe Hooper film.

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
City Of The Living Dead - My fave of the Fulci gore films. 8/10

Children Of The Corn 7: Revelation - I really do like this one. Simple yet effective. 7/10

Mortuary (2005) - Think I'm one of very few people who enjoys this Hooper junk. 6/10

Beautiful Creatures (2013) - I liked this more than the first time around. Sweet ending. 7/10

The Victim (2011) - Trashy but fun backwoods horror directed by and starring Michael Biehn. 6/10

Evolution (2001) I don't think I'd even heard of this before. It was such a bundle of fun. - 7/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Plot summary - A New York City taxi driver obsessively stalks an beautiful actress attending the Cannes Film Festival while at the same time, a masked killer beings killing off all her protégé and associates. Is the obsessed fan the killer, or is there someone else behind the whole thing? - from imdb.

Watched 1981s - the last horror film aka the fanatic starring the late great Joe spinell and the beautiful Caroline munro,really fun horror flick this with no shortage of gore or nudity and which is also actually quite funny in parts as well so it never becomes quite as dark or grim as spinell's and Munro's earlier horror outing the 1980 cult horror classic - maniac.

-

joe spinell, what an actor I don't think i've ever seen anyone quite portray sleazy like he does,here as well as in the likes of maniac,walking the edge,vigilante in fact I think more or less everything that I've ever watched him in,it all just seems so effortless to him,so i'm thinking he was either like that in real life or it's probably more to the fact that he was just one hell of a great actor!

-

And Caroline Munro what a beautiful actress she is,i've only ever seen her in maniac and the fun 1986 horror - slaughter high before but i think she's another one who's probably always great to watch,I did spot her in a UK horror convention video on YouTube that i watched sometime back in which she came across as a really pleasant and down to earth actress who looked like she thouroughly enjoyed Mingling in with the many horror fans that had come to meet her!

The setting of the - last horror film is also pretty unique as it is more or less entirely filmed at the Cannes film festival so you do get to see many movie posters and stands from the time (1981) for the likes of - for your eyes only,chariots of fire,the cannibal holocaust etc

The only downside to the whole movie for me was that i thought that some of the supporting cast weren't up to much and that there performances were bit lacking but that aside I can't actually think of anything else that i really disliked about the film and therefore i would not hesitate in giving it a fairly strong recommendation to all the horror fans out there,infact I feel it's pretty underatted in all truth!

https://youtu.be/ja_psJ8Bjz8 - the last horror film trailer.

-

Caroline munro Still looking great at 66

The all regions blu ray from 88 films i thought was really good and they had gone to the extra effort of reinserting the odd frame of deleted gore back into the print and while this footage was of generally bad condition i still think it was pretty great because at least you was getting to watch the whole uncut version of the film this time around.

Well worth the watch 8/10.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:

Children Of The Corn 7: Revelation - I really do like this one. Simple yet effective. 7/10

Mortuary (2005) - Think I'm one of very few people who enjoys this Hooper junk. 6/10

Beautiful Creatures (2013) - I liked this more than the first time around. Sweet ending. 7/10

The Victim (2011) - Trashy but fun backwoods horror directed by and starring Michael Biehn. 6/10

Evolution (2001) I don't think I'd even heard of this before. It was such a bundle of fun. - 7/10

The victim was pretty good actually helen,it's one of these films that seems to pick up some pretty negative reviews but I gotta say I thought it was good trashy fun also.

I thought you'd probably like funhouse atomik,it's quite a decent early 80s horror and like Helen mentioned the night time carnival setting is really cool!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
So true and now you made me want to check out The Last Horror Film. Luckily i have the dvd on the shelf so one of these days... [Smile]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
So true and now you made me want to check out The Last Horror Film. Luckily i have the dvd on the shelf so one of these days... [Smile]

I might be wrong but I reckon chances are atomik you will probably like the last horror film,if you can get past the odd dodgy performance it's 90 minutes or so of good sleazy horror fun!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I have The Last Horror Film under the title The Fanatic. It's great fun. Caroline Munro is in a couple of Hammers.

[ 24. October 2015, 05:45: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That kinda makes up for the lousy 3 star rating you gave to V/H/S 2.. I think we can be friends again now ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Hooray! [Big Grin]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Dog Who Saved Halloween - Daft fun. 6/10

Wind Chill - 5/10

Crimson Peak - This film looks spectacular and has some great moments. Unfortunately portions of it bored me senseless. 6/10

And I watched a bunch of Shrek specials:

Thriller Night - 9/10
The Ghost Of Lord Farquaad - 6/10
Scared Shrekless - 8/10
The Pig Who Cried Werewolf - 5/10
Night Of The Living Carrots - 9/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

In 1936, the Wollners - a German family living in rural Morgan County, West Virginia - are contacted by the Third Reich to host a visiting scholar, Professor Richard Wirth. In need of money, they accept Wirth into their home. Wirth's grand occult project seals the Wollners off from the rest of the world and makes them players in a horrifying game of survival. After 71 years, in 2007, Evan Marshall's life has stalled at twenty-five years old. Left without answers after his older brother Victor's disappearance from a camping trip near Town Creek, he has tried to move on. But when Victor returns one night, very much alive and having escaped his captors, Evan asks no questions - at his brother's request, he loads their rifles, packs up their boat and follows him back to Town Creek on a mission of revenge that will test them in every possible way...
- from imdb.

Very entertaining horror thriller from director Joel Schumacher with a very solid cast featuring Henry cavill,michael fassbender,Dominic Purcell and Emma booth this 2009 horror movie sadly went fairly unnoticed stateside where it had a very limited theatrical release and fared even worse over here in the uk where it ended up just going straight to home video.

-

But don't let any of this put you off though as I thought it to be a really decent and atmospheric horror outing from a director who when on form really knows how to deliver the goods - the lost boys,flatliners,St Elmo's fire etc. - And while this doesn't quite compare to those earlier hits it's certainly way to good just to be pushed out quietly on to the home video market.

-

Very well shot and with a real feeling of menace about it that I think is mostly due in part to Michael Fassbender's sinister looking Nazi zombie the film certainly pulls no punches when it comes to the onscreen gore and brutality,it actually gets fairly gruesome in parts and animal lovers beware as pigs,dogs,horses etc. all get caught up in the bloody carnage!

-

My one and only dislike about this film for me was a couple of instances of pretty bad looking CGI,most notably in the horse attack scene but that alone did not ruin for me what is otherwise a really well made and fairly unknown modern (2009) horror flick!

Highly recommended and I'd rate it about an 8/10.

https://youtu.be/gQ7v7eIz-Ng - blood creek aka town creek trailer.

[ 27. October 2015, 12:54: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Imaginative and fun low budget 2008 horror set completely in a locked in movie theatre.

Really enjoyed this one and for under 5 UK pounds on blu ray imported from the us it was well worth the pick up!

https://youtu.be/GZno_ZyWfoM - midnight movie trailer.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
That one is awful but a giggle [Big Grin]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Sleepy Hollow (1999) - 7/10

Alyce - 6/10

Monster House - 8/10

Children Of The Corn VIII: Genesis - They seemed to forget the children part of this one  - It had decent atmosphere but was a bit dull until the final great 10 minutes. 5/10

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul - Such an outrageous, weird, messed up film dripping with atmosphere and menace. Some parts always take me aback thinking about what year it is from. Ooh, the pure evil of the Coffin Joe character and that wretched laugh!! 10/10

Blacula - So much more than a silly title. 8/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
27th Oct: * Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)  - /10

-

"A man on the run is hunted by a demon known as the Collector."

This was a lot of fun.  -

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home