iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Flodder (1986)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flodder (1986)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A rather a-social family gets a chance to live in an upper-class neighborhood.
As they are not accepted by the snobs living there, they get in all sorts of trouble." (IMDb)

Flodder is an awesome film written and directed by Mr D. Maas. He´s one of those directors who also make music. I liked the simple theme tune very much.
Never saw Flodder back in the day but remember seeing one of his earlier films, De lift (The Lift), in the 80s. Would love to see that one again.

I love the political uncorrectness this movie has. Just like the australians, dutch films have that extra something.
They can make a joke out of anything and that´s the way it should be.
There´s lots of nudity on offer too, especially supersexy Tatjana Simic is not afraid to show some skin.

I immediately recognised Tatjana because i remember that she was somekind of disco/pop star also here in Finland back in the early 90s.
Huub Stapel gives a great performance, what a cool dude. He was also in The Lift and other Maas film Amsterdamned which was also released here on VHS.

Hot supermodel, actress and singer Tatjana Simic in Flodder
 -

Just found out that they made two sequels for Flodder in the 90s. Also, The spin-off television series ran from 1993 till 1998.
I would love to see those!

The only thing that bothered me was that my finnish vhs was dubbed in english.
They didn´t do that very often here even in the 80s, i guess that it was the only copy available at the time.

I highly recommed this film for those who like crude jokes and wacky characters in comedies.
If you like Screwballs, you will love this one!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like i said before, Flodder was THE most popular movie of the decade here. Even the title, as well as certain words
and phrases from the movie have sneaked into our everyday language (officially accepted, if i might add !)
That's how huge Flodder's impact was on our little, cosy country here !

Nowadays, Flodder is just as much part of Dutch culture as windmills, wooden shoes, and tulips are ! [Big Grin]

The thing that worries me though is that many jokes probably got lost in the dubbing proces. I've never seen
the English-dubbed version, but i'm afraid they made it into something really goofy or childish.
Language is used to accentuate the class-difference throughout the whole movie, to maximum effect.
The original Dutch language version is actually very sharp, and definitely succeeds as a satire
rather than just a screwball type of comedy.

Nelly Frijda, who plays Ma Flodder (the mother) steals the show here. She's actually a very well respected actrice,
and has done many theatre work dating back to the 1950's. She retired from acting just a few years ago.

Huub Stapel, who plays the oldest son Johnnie Flodder, is one of Holland's most famous actors,
and can be seen in many, many movies.

Many familiar faces have supporting roles, from famous Dutch actors to comedians and TV show hosts.

Tatjana Simic (the voluptous oldest daughter) indeed had some sort of career as a singer.
There's a funny story there : Around 1991 i actually saw her perform at a discotheque which was about
50 meters from where i live. The place is long gone by now, but it literally was around the corner here.
I can't remember any of her songs, but during her performance she changed clothes several times,
standing behind this shine-through paper wall, so the audience could see her silhouette while changing.
I was in my mid-teens back then.. so as you might understand, this experience stayed with me for many years ! [Big Grin]

The sequel Flodder In Amerika was a rehash of most of the jokes from the original movie, and places the
infamous Dutch family in New York City. It's still a very funny movie, with the exact same cast reprising their roles.

The same couldn't be said about Flodder 3. Several cast members (including Huub Stapel) didn't return for
another slice of Flodder mayhem. The movie lost that satirical edge, and became more of a slapstick type of comedy.

The TV series has more in common with the third movie, but actually works much better in 20 minute episodes
rather than a nearly 2 hrs movie. The series ran for 5 seasons, and 62 episodes were made.

Flodder still pops up on TV here every couple of months or so. Surprisingly, Flodder's history on dvd
is more problematic. It has been released in fullscreen versions only, devoid of any extra's.
The TV series fared somewhat better, since it's been released on dvd by Universal Pictures.
A 10 disc box-set containing all 5 seasons is still available for under 30 euro's. I believe it's
in widescreen and actually does have some bonus-features, but i highly doubt there are English subtitles.

-

[ 13. April 2015, 09:42: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the "inside" information, Johnny.

The dubbing might have lost few jokes, but i believe that most of them "came through". I got the strong social statement and never thought that the movie was childish.

The whole cast did excellent work and i really liked moonshine thirsty Ma Flodder [Big Grin]

It´s a shame that many classic films can´t get a decent release even in the countries they were made. We have too many examples [Frown]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite character from Flodder is actually not one of the family members..

It's the street hustler named Kareltje, a friend of Johnnie's from the old neighborhood.

He pops up at the most inappropriate moments trying to sell just about anything to anyone
who he thinks might be interested.

I believe he tried to get rid of a shipment of crocodile leather handbags in the original movie.

That guy is hilarious ! [Big Grin]

He returned in the TV series in a slightly bigger role.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home