iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I`ve Had To Kick Some Bad Seeds Out Of My Club

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I`ve Had To Kick Some Bad Seeds Out Of My Club
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regretfully, I`ve had to ask 87, 88, and 89 to please leave my club [Roll Eyes] Wondering what everyone else thinks about the end of the decade re: movies and music. Don`t get me wrong....there are tons of great movies and music from those years...they just don`t have that great nostalgic feel for me like the Goonies, Gremlins, Back To The Future, Karate Kid, etc, etc. I know they`re in the 80`s club...they just don`t have that lovin feeling for me. I would gladly trade them for 77, 78, and 79! What do you think...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny to read this as I feel exact the same about exact those last 3 years of the 1980's. And... just like you, I traded them in for the last 3 years of the 1970's.

I can't really explain why though...
It probably has a lot to do with how you look at things as a child/teenager and how you look back at how you felt back then. But, I also strongly feel there was some kind of decline in quality when it comes to movies and especially music by the end of the decade.
Of course there are lots of exceptions (even too many to name), but still... I catch myself skipping those years when l'm in 'nostalgic mode'.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m totally with you guys even if there are exceptions too many to name like TKO said.
I´ve been listening more and more 70s music in recent years also.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there....Ah yeah...My old man used to go out on a lot of dates in 87,88,89 so to get rid of my brother and I he would drop us off at the movies and say "See you in a few hours". It is incredible how many movies I saw at the cinema during those years. I do know what you mean though. If I watch a movie from 1982 or something it really has that 80's quality but sometimes it can be depressing too, to think that all that time has gone by. When you really want to dive into the 80's though you can't go wrong with 82-85! I think 80's music was good all the way through. Guns N Roses hit the scene in 87! I would not trade it myself. I was not alive in the 70's either so for me the late 80's music/movies reminds me of when I was a kid. I can't go back in my mind to the 70's unfortunately.

[ 03. April 2015, 04:19: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernie Lomax, the first thing to pop into my head after reading kevdug's statement, was no way! Guns and Roses hit the scene big time in '87! Those years were some of the best years of my life, and I met some lifelong friends at that time too. So I'm going to have to say no way for me! Can I still tack on the late 70's though, lol?
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The late 70's are great and I wouldn't throw them out but would not trade for late 80's. If I was born in 71 as opposed to 81 it might be a different story. GNR are right up there with 60's and 70's rock groups too. Yes, you can tack on the 70's too [Big Grin]

Some great movies that you may be throwing away include:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (87)
The Princess Bride (87)
Wall Street (87)
Fatal Attraction (87)
Predator (87)

Twins (88)
Rain Man (88)
Big (88)
Coming to America (88)
Die Hard (88)
18 Again! (88)
Caddyshack 2 (88) - Honorable mention [Big Grin]

Uncle Buck (89)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (89)
BTTF 2 (89)
Christmas Vacation (89)
Dead Poets Society (89)
Milo & Otis (89) - My brother saw this at movies 4 times versus my solid effort of 2.

I have given you some great movies that you are willing to give up and I have not even touched the surface. Anyone care for a rethink?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernie and Pitts...there seems to be one thing clouding your judgement....YOUNG AGE!!! Darn you both...I`d trade those years to be 10 years younger!! [Smile] A good point you mentioned earlier Bernie re: the age of influence. Seems my fondest memories are garnished somewhere around the age of 9-13...old enough to have vivid memories, but young enough not to have much responsibility....care free years maybe. I love it all...just more fond of the early 80`s...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, I would trade all the 70's and 80's movies and music to be 10 years younger. The early 80's movies have that gritty VHS look to them (which is great) and I know what you mean. There is something very nostalgic of watching an early 80's movie compared with the late 80's.

Please don't think that you are old. I am old compared with someone ten years younger than me etc....Someone is always 10 years younger, someone is always 10 older. Think of the guy that's 10 years older than you and think of how much he might wish that he was the same age as you.

What would you give to go back to 1980? I think everyone on this site would give a lot. I would certainly not give 10 years of my life but I think I would give 1-2 years (maybe?)

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to many great films from the end of that decade in my opinion to give those years the boot

Check out 1988 for example

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?sort=moviemeter,asc&start=1&title_type=feature&year=1988,1988

Definitely films from the begining of the 80s had a different vibe to what came at the tail end of the decade but I think it's as much do with your own personal taste in films as much as anything else.

Like from the 88 list I would consider - the blob,Scrooged,fright night 2,bloodsport,warlock,die hard,young guns,heathers,they live,midnight run amongst many others as being classics from that year but I bet not everyone feels the same.

I'm 42 next month I was born in 73 and I'm starting to think where have all these years gone but I wouldn't swap those years for anything,to many great memories!

Remember the saying your as old as you feel,in that case I'm a high school kid again,I know,i've got an idea i might do a rodney dangerfield.

"hey everyone i'm going back to school" [Big Grin]

[ 06. April 2015, 05:03: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the 80's.. but i love the 70's !

Arguably, the best movies ever made are from the 70's.. think about it :

This decade brought us A Clockwork Orange, Dirty Harry, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Exorcist,
Taxi Driver, Chinatown, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, and Alien.

Filmmakers such as Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, William Friedkin, Hal Ashby, Alan J. Pakula,
Steven Spielberg, Sidney Lumet, and actors like Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson,
and Dustin Hoffman redefined the way how movies looked (and sounded).

Plus : There was a European film industry that could still compete with Hollywood, a horror scene that wasn't
aimed solely at teenagers, and even X-rated movies being made by people who actually had talent.

The 80's were good, but not THAT good. No other decade can compete with the influence brought forth
by filmmakers and actors who were at the height of their powers in the 70's.

[ 06. April 2015, 06:45: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I understand what you are saying Johnny. I can't argue with what you have said. Those movies are classics and those directors are seriously talented. The thing that bugs me though is how comedy movies or teen movies etc.. aren't really taken seriously by film critics and say the Oscars. I don't know why certain genres of movies don't get the credit they deserve. Can anyone honestly tell me that John Hughes does not deserve an Oscar either for writing, directing, best picture?

I know that you can't compare Home Alone or The Breakfast Club to Dirty Harry or Taxi Driver but if the movie had the desired result it should be considered as a classic and be taken seriously by the Academy and film critics and people in general. If Jaws was made to scare people out of their minds and never step foot in the water again, it succeeded. If Home Alone was made to give the whole family a great laugh then it succeeded too.

I think that the 70's beats the 80's for what most regard as classic such as Jaws, Dirty Harry etc.. but as a whole taking all genres of films into account, the 80's wins hands down.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Way to many great films from the end of that decade in my opinion to give those years the boot

Check out 1988 for example

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?sort=moviemeter,asc&start=1&title_type=feature&year=1988,1988

Definitely films from the begining of the 80s had a different vibe to what came at the tail end of the decade but I think it's as much do with your own personal taste in films as much as anything else.

Like from the 88 list I would consider - the blob,Scrooged,fright night 2,bloodsport,warlock,die hard,young guns,heathers,they live,midnight run amongst many others as being classics from that year but I bet not everyone feels the same.

I'm 42 next month I was born in 73 and I'm starting to think where have all these years gone but I wouldn't swap those years for anything,to many great memories!

Remember the saying your as old as you feel,in that case I'm a high school kid again,I know,i've got an idea i might do a rodney dangerfield.

"hey everyone i'm going back to school" [Big Grin]

To help you on your journey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snM1R8H2HEs

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I`ll be 42 at the end of the month as well...and def don`t feel or act like I`m old (it`s weird...I remember being young and looking at people that were 40 years old...thinking...dang...they`re old...I don`t see myself as that though suspect kids today look at me the same way).

I too love the 70`s...born in 73. When I look at my 80`s room, there is certainly a 70`s vibe creepin through...I simply like to be surrounded by things that remind me of my childhood. Hmmmm...I wonder what the shrinks say about people like me! [Smile] I`m sure others my age like the era, but certainly don`t feel a need to collect the things I do... [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home