iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » Ŧ 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

watched the awesome 1984 thriller - angel last night starring donna wilkes,rory calhoun,**** shawn,susan tyrrell,cliff gorman and john diehl.

i've seriously got a new found appreciation for this one,i can remember when i first watched it sometime back that i wasn't to taken in by it,i found the slightly campy feel to parts of it a little off putting when compared to the menacing scenes which involved the creepy prostitute killer (superbly played by john diehl) and that for me i thought the movie as a whole just didn't properly gel.

then about 6-7 months back i thought i'd check it out again on youtube and this time i was completely blown away by it,i thought the whole film was a total blast,a trash classic!

the scenes i had previously held annoyance with which mostly included molly's (donna wilkes) campy street friends this time around i found them to be a whole lot of fun,especially **** shawn as the cross dressing mae i thought he was brilliant,as was motel hell's rory calhoun.

-
donna wilkes as molly "angel" stewart.

donna wilkes i also thought was superb as the 15 year old high school student/hollywood hooker molly "angel" stewart and as soon as the film finished i actually felt dissapointed that she does not appear in the sequel (which i have seen way back but hardly remember anything from apart from a daft sequence involving a baby being thrown through the air) which i will check out soon as it's part of the triple pack dvd that i picked up.

really liked the numerous scenes of the hollywood boulevard with the walk of fame which i have visited back in october 2004 and remember it well!

-
**** shawn as the cross dressing - mae.

i loved this movie,it's got a really great 80s feel to it,an awesome track called - something sweet https://youtu.be/6vlqPSsO9fg by a group called the allies which plays throughout and great performances from all involved - basically the film is just a whole lot of fun!

it was cool to finally get to see this on dvd and i am looking forward to checking out the 1985 sequel - avenging angel with the beautiful betsy russell now in the lead role of "angel" but i've got a feeling i might be dissapointed in comparison to the 1984 original.

https://youtu.be/fHQMtlOlXYA - angel (1984) trailer.

any angel or avenging angel fans out there?

can anyone give me a heads up on what the 1985 betsy russell sequel - avenging angel is like?

-

[ 02. August 2015, 16:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i have heard of dr hackenstein before terdnthepoolggb though i have never seen it but it certainly looks interesting.

judging by the reviews though it looks like it might be a bit of a stinker!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iīm a huge Donna Wilkes and Angel series fan. Still donīt have Angel 4 though.
The two sequels with Betsy Russell (Avenging Angel) and Mitzi Kapture (Angel III) are not on the same level as the original
but i like both ladies and enjoy the films because i love this genre.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Peter Plunkett's Irish castle, turned hotel is about to be repossessed, he decides ghosts would attract more Tourists.
The trouble begins when a bus load of American tourists arrive.
Among them, the daughter of the man who holds the mortgage and a paranormal psychologist and his family.
When the real ghosts of castle get angry and decide to take a hand in things will they all survive Halloween?" (IMDb)

Watched High Spirits (1988)

Itīs a decent flick but could have been much better. Director Neil Jordan has maintained that the release version of this film is very different from the one he shot.
Peter OīToole is all over the place (he usually is) while Steve Guttenberg is pretty lame.
Iīve always liked Jennifer Tilly but her role isnīt that big. Martin Ferrero (Izzy from Miami Vice) is a funny fella.
Pretty good old school sfx keep things interesting.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Margo, Kelly, and CeCe have three things in common: they're room-mates, they're gorgeous, and they're hooked on the glamour and excitement of L.A.'s rock and roll night life."

-

"Best friends and their daughters holiday in Rio only for one to fall for the other's daughter."

Two fun 80s flicks.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Iīm a huge Donna Wilkes and Angel series fan. Still donīt have Angel 4 though.
The two sequels with Betsy Russell (Avenging Angel) and Mitzi Kapture (Angel III) are not on the same level as the original
but i like both ladies and enjoy the films because i love this genre.

I thought I could remember them not being up to the standard of the original,i'll check out avenging angel when I get chance atomik and let you know what I think.

The angel sequels I think sound like a bit of a missed opportunity considering how much fun the original was.

I'll definitely give the sequels another chance though just to see how I feel about them now,angel part 4 seems a really rare flick,can't ever recollect seeing a copy of that!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Need to watch modern girls again but blame it on Rio which I own on DVD is a lot of fun!

Not seen high spirits in years,that's another in need of a viewing!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Honkytonk Man (1982) was a better road movie than i remembered.
Lots of fun dialog and scenes with a little drama thrown in. Quite touching actually.
I also like the cast. Alexa Kenin is so fresh and energetic. Too bad that she died so young, right after filming the Hughes classic Pretty in Pink.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Eighties teen romp involving Bill and his new apartment, Jim and his rebellious antics, Tom and his crazy self, and Anita with her older man David."

A greatly underrated 80s gem.

-

Bananarama - The Wild Life

-

Van Stephenson - Make it Glamorous

-

Hanover Fist - In The Metal of the Night

-

EVH - Back To School

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched the 1981 horror thriller the fan for the first time ever a few nights back and i'm still a bit in two minds as to what i thought of it.

plot wise it's a bit all over the show and the tone of the film did feel slightly off at times i think partly due to the mixture of musical dance numbers and stalk and slash scenes.

-
Michael biehn as the obsessed fan Douglas breen in 1981s - the fan.

a major plus here is the cast as you have lauren bacall,james garner,hector elizondo and Michael Biehn,biehn in particular gives a really good early performance here as the obsessed fan of the title and you can see how he went onto have such a successful hollywood career.

overall i would say the positives probably outweighed any negatives with the things that i liked being - i definitely felt like i was watching something from the 80s which was a great start,michael biehn i thought was seriously ace in his role as the psychotic fan douglas breen,it features brit ska band the specials - https://youtu.be/uWpQ54f8cA4 on the soundtrack plus it was great to see the underrated actor hector elizondo (the flamingo kid) on screen again.

-

the things i didn't really like were lauren bacall's dance numbers which to be honest pretty much sucked and also the fact that they gave the great james garner more or less nothing to do,in all truth he might as well have not been there.

yeah i'd say it's worth checking out despite a few faults but i do feel if you took michael biehn out of the equation i've just got this gut feeling that the film would have failed miserably!

https://youtu.be/YON8TNhpdsA - the fan (1981) trailer.

[ 25. August 2015, 06:10: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
What about the slash scenes warrior? I remember that The Fan vhs tape was cut here in Finland back in the day.
In todays standards the scenes are most probably tame...

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

There was a bit of a nasty edge to certain scenes,biehn attacks bacall's secretary with a straight razor across the face which while not done overly bloody still had a big cringe factor about it and I think the scene that probably disturbed the censors was biehn's gay encounter in the movie where he picks up some guy from a nightclub takes him to an abandoned city rooftop slashes his throat and then sets him on fire.

You don't see much in the way of graphic detail but it just feels really mean spirited and I'd imagine back in 1981 it came across as pretty shocking!

Also the version I watched (on amazon instant video) included the bit of missing dialogue which seems to be edited from all other versions about what Michael biehn would like to do with his meat cleaver which I can't repeat on here as it's a family site!

It's actually a pretty decent film atomik,probably could have done without bacall's dance numbers though but I suppose you can't have everything.

actually I'm trying to think what was more more cringey the slashing scenes or bacall's singing - I think I'd go with the latter [Big Grin]

[ 25. August 2015, 06:12: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info warrior. It would be awesome to see The Fan uncut even if the Bacall scenes are too scary [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"A couple with marriage problems goes to Family Court, where a judge takes them back in time to view lovers through the ages." (IMDb)

Watched Stuck on You! (1982) last night. Itīs super crazy but entertaining Troma comedy.
Irwin Corey is totally nuts as judge Gabriel, Mark Mikulski plays Bill and Virginia Penta is his girlfriend Caroll.
Few nice montages, cool tunes and ZAZ style joke in every ten seconds pace.
I was shocked to find out that this was Pentas only film, she definitely had potential.

Virginia Penta
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched a film called Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989).

"The government hires a feminist at the local university to track down the Piranha Women living in the uncharted Avocado Jungle (westernmost outpost is San Bernardino)
to convince them to move to a reservation condo in Malibu. She hires a guide at the edge of the jungle, a male chauvinist pig,
and they have many arguments about men and women as they work their way in, and eventually confront the Piranha Women." (IMDb)

Was it any good? Sadly, no. Lots of rambling about feminist issues, male/female relatonships and bad pop culture jokes.
Shannon Tweed did a decent job, Bill Maherīs jokes were mostly boring and you always knew what was coming next, always!
Just another late 80s disappointment.

Cute Karen M. Waldron (Karen Mistal) was the only good thing in Cannibal Women

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I forgot to mention I watched this in the end,I got it on rental (88films release above) and I only made it to about the 30 minute mark,I watched it with my wife and she absolutely hated it,she kept saying how bad the acting was and I've got to admit that even for a low budget production the acting was pretty attrocious.

Yeah I got to about the half hour mark and that was more than enough for me,God knows how you managed to stick it out to the end atomik,it was terrible!

I think mark kermode must have been watching different movie altogether,either that or he was the only one that found bill Maher's jokes funny! [Big Grin]

[ 31. August 2015, 19:10: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Haha, iīm surprised that you stopped watching but you may rest assured, you didnīt miss anything worth watching if you count out Bunny in various nice swimsuits [Big Grin]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
When it started and there's semi clad beauties bathing in a lake I thought this could be interesting but it all went downhill from there.

It's seriously rare that I stop watching a film but apart from the babes in question it had next to no redeeming qualities whatsoever and for me is probably one of the worst of the year so far!

As for film critic mark kermode stating on the cover " an excellent film with a really great script... A funny entertaining movie" i reckon he must be sponsored by 88 films .

I'll tell you what I did get around to watching last night for the very first time and thought it was really awesome and that was creator with peter O'Toole,Vincent spano,Mariel Hemingway and Virginia Madsen,Madsen looks stunning as usual.

What a great film and very funny in parts!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Iīm glad that you liked Creator!

Watched Suddden Impact (1983) the other day. Itīs a cool Dirty Harry meets Dirty Harriet film while the latter is wiping out gangrape members.
Locke is surprisingly decent in this last film she made together with Eastwood.
Gotta give some credit to Audrie Neenan, her performance as Ray Parkins is something you donīt see everyday and i also liked Paul Drake as supersleazy Mick.

Dirty Harry is back
 -

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Gothic - Those travellers deserved everything they got disturbing that nice, peaceful family. Invading their home, trying on their clothes, breaking their things, waking the baby, moaning about where they can smoke/sleep when they are kindly offered to stay over. An unjust ending! Shower of s****!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

https://youtu.be/GVVUjAFigKQ - whenever i think of that movie helen i instantly think of the scene with the swing [Big Grin]

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Tightrope (1984)

"Wes Block is a detective who's put on the case of a serial killer whose victims are young and pretty women, that he rapes and murders.
The killings are getting personal when the killer chooses victims who are acquaintances of Block. Even his daughters are threatened." (IMDb)

This was a nice and sleazy thriller [Big Grin]
I like the New Orleans settings and atmosphere but what it needs is a bit more action.
I loved Rebecca Perle (Savage Streets, Stitches) as one of the street girls, this woman can tease! [Big Grin]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Tightrope definitely could have done with picking up the pace a bit but yeah i agree it's still a great thriller!

The slower pace and high sleaze factor gives it a slightly different feel to Clint's dirty harry outings.

-

Jenny beck (troll - 1986) who played one of Eastwood's daughters in the movie everytime I saw her on screen I kept thinking off the late child star heather O'Rourke of poltergeist fame as i feel she sure does look like her.

I like the final chase scene in tightrope as well through the cemetary, it's pretty intense!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

Tightrope definitely could have done with picking up the pace a bit but yeah i agree it's still a great thriller!

The slower pace and high sleaze factor gives it a slightly different feel to Clint's dirty harry outings.

-

Jenny beck (troll - 1986) who played one of Eastwood's daughters in the movie everytime I saw her on screen I kept thinking off the late child star heather O'Rourke of poltergeist fame as i feel she sure does look like her.

I like the final chase scene in tightrope as well through the cemetary, it's pretty intense!

Same thoughts here, i kept thinking that i know her but she canīt be Heather OīRourke. Then i remembered that she was in V series.
And i agree, the final chase was excellent!

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home