iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 31)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still haven´t seen Fortress, maybe someday.
Posts: 7167 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velvet Dreams (1988)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096369/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_26

What a crappy italian erotic "thriller" starring Playboy playmate Kathy Shower and Brett Halsey. Avoid! [Smile]

War Dog (1987)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092193/

Fun and ultra violent swedish b-actioner.
Rothstein and Leitch stole the War Dog plot basics for their 1992 sci-fi/action film Universal Soldier.

-

Forbidden Zone (1980/82)

"The bizarre and musical tale of a girl who travels to another dimension through the gateway found in her family's basement." (IMDb)

Loved this totally wacko film directed by Richard Elfman.
The Mystic Nights of the Oingo Boingo doing their stuff, think John Waters and add some acid in the mix [Big Grin]
Loved the Arrow blu-ray extramaterial too.

Posts: 7167 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's Having a Baby
WarGames (rewatch)
Talk Radio

Posts: 3722 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
It´s My Turn (1980)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080936/

"A successful but stressed mathematics professor (Clayburgh) goes to her father's wedding and falls in love with her father's bride's son (Douglas), a prematurely retired pro baseball player.
She must choose between him and her current boyfriend (Grodin), between Chicago and New York, and between research and administration." (IMDb)

So-so relationship dramedy with lots of feministic touch.
There where however some nice dialog between Clayburgh and Douglas and i kinda believed in their romance.
Includes early roles from Daniel Stern and Dianne Wiest. The Diana Ross theme tune was a top ten hit.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill Clayburgh was such a fine actress, whose abilities were not always showcased properly. Unfortunately, the material she's given in It's My Turn is pure TV movie clichés. It's instantly forgettable.
Posts: 2084 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Hero at Large (1980)

"An idealistic but struggling actor finds his life unexpectedly complicated when he stops a robbery while wearing the costume of Captain Avenger, a superhero character of a film he is hired to to promote.
He decides to dabble at being a superhero only to find that it is more difficult and dangerous than he ever imagined." (IMDb)

Watched this sympathetic film written By AJ Carothers (The Secret of My Success) and directed By Martin Davidson (Eddie and the Cruisers, Long Gone etc.)
John Ritter gives a great performance and Anne Archer is also good and looks lovely as Ritter´s love interest.

1979 New York looks awesome, i really enjoy watching films made in late 70s, early 80s.
Check out also Kevin Bacon in a blink and miss role.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hero at large I have never seen and it sounds like fun and talking of Kevin Bacon I watched

-

Footloose for the first time ever though I had seen bits and pieces down the years and I really enjoyed it.

Acting was great with a really solid cast I especially like Chris Penn in these early roles,also can't not mention the soundtrack as we all know the catchy theme song from Kenny Loggins but there's also some other great tracks in there.

Great fun and is now on my shopping list of to get Blu Ray's. 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/6nSXtZPKms4 - Footloose trailer (1984).

Quick mentions

The Good Wife - great performances from a good cast including real life couple Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward elevate this low key Aussie drama which also boasts a fine music score and terrific location shoot's!

I quite enjoyed this one actually despite nothing much really occurring throughout it just felt like a nice change of pace and at times had a dreamy like atmosphere helped no end by what was a simple but very effective music score! 7/10

https://youtu.be/AJ0hAP5MXk8 - Peter Kenna's The Good Wife aka The Umbrella Woman trailer (1987).

One Dark Night - fun little horror with a slow gradual build up that helps along with its setting - a mausoleum create a really creepy atmosphere and come the last 15 - 20 minutes the movie really delivers the goods and probably makes this one of the most hardcore PG movies (it's a 15 cert here in the U.K) in movie history!

Cool upcoming cast featuring Meg Tilly and Elizabeth Daily and some wicked effects work this is a very solid low budget early 80s horror which I feel is deserving Of its cult following and though I wished I'd got to see it back in its day for the full effect I'm pleased that I have finally got around to doing so!

7.5/10

https://youtu.be/l8-rRMDnMk0 - One Dark Night trailer (1983).

[ 31. December 2017, 05:52: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3378 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"A failing television station is bought out by a slick TV evangelist and starts making mountains of money
in the guise of religious programming, but which is actually just an excuse to sell merchandise." (IMDb)

Watched Pray TV aka KGOD (1980) and it´s kinda like UHF but not nearly as good.
Includes few nice ideas and performances (Paul Reubens, Charles Haid and Magnum´s Roger E. Mosley) but the film can´t hide the low budget and it´s just not funny enough.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Joy (1983)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085763/

"This is the story about Joy who falls in love with an older man (she has been looking for her missing father all her life),
and then travels around Paris with him and his other female companion, experiencing a broad range of sexual encounters." (IMDb)

This was a pretty dull soft core drama starring Claudia Udy (Out of Control, Savage Dawn, Nightforce etc.).
Nice cinematography and settings but that´s it. Claudia looks good though.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -

Rewatched Screwballs (1983) and Loose Screws (1985).

Both fun T&A films but of course the Jim Wynorski/Linda Shayne penned original is much better.

Lovely ladies, cool guys, crazy jokes, nice tunes and great politically incorrect early 80s atmosphere.
I´ll never get tired of these films.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love both the Screwballs movies Atomik and I agree the original has the edge over the sequel but Loose Screws is still good fun!

-

The commander of an Air Force camp simulates prisoner-of-war conditions for realistic training goes too far, creating all too real torture situations. He preys on the only woman in the experiment - from IMDb.

Entertaining but little seen action thriller from 1986 starring Tom Skerritt,Lisa Eichhorn, Richard Roundtree and Anthony Zerbe which was released here in the UK under its alternate title of Hell Camp and went straight to home video through RCA/COLUMBIA back in the mid eighties.

Some good action sequences especialy a well filmed helicopter/boat chase and an at times fairly sleazy feel with Eichhorn's character spending many a scene stripped and humiliated (as are all the prisoners) not to mention her also being raped by the evil camp commandant as played by Anthony Zerbe.

You know where the story is headed but when it comes the payback is fun to watch as the prisoners finally turn the tables on there captors but there's a sad twist at the end and things don't quite go how you would have liked them too!

I own an original UK VHS of this but opted for getting this MGM/UA MOD (made on demand) disc and it's nice to view the movie in wide-screen for the first time and it's a really nice print.

No extras just the menu screen with play and if I remember right chapter selection.

Yeah so a cool little action thriller with a great cast and a decent plot! 7.5/10

-

The original UK VHS/Beta cover

https://youtu.be/1OhodMtt2l4 - Opposing Force aka Hell Camp trailer (1986).

[ 12. January 2018, 01:00: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3378 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hell Camp is good stuff!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Flight 90: Disaster on the Potomac (1984)

"Flight 90: Disaster on the Potomac is a true story based on the crash of Air Florida flight 90 on January 13, 1982 in Washington D.C.
This movie follows the main players throughout the day, with a lot of care taken to re-create what actually went wrong, who died, and who survived.
There is a lot of actual footage from the day, as well as accurate representations of aircraft type and airline." (IMDb)

This was a solid docudrama, clearly a television film but well made considering it´s budget.
The interesting cast includes Barry Corbin, Dinah Manoff, Stephen Macht, Richard Masur, Jamie Rose plus early roles from Kathleen Wilhoite, Kate Vernon and Chad Lowe.

One can only wonder why the captain decided that the plane was ready to fly...

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crusoe, starring Aidan Quinn and directed by Caleb Deschanel (Father of Emily and Zoey). Anyone seen this? It was alright. I am wondering if it was a made for TV movie.
Posts: 2024 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drugstore Cowboy
Posts: 3722 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leo Logan:
Drugstore Cowboy

I watched it a week or two ago.
Posts: 2024 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Haven't watched Drugstore Cowboy in ages but do remember thinking it was well made!

I watched (Rental) -

-

In the near future, a teenage couple are trapped in a drive-in theater which has become a concentration camp for social outcasts. The inmates are treated to drugs, exploitation films, junk food, and new wave music - from IMDb.

Cool Aussie apocalyptic action drama from talented brit director Brian Trenchard Smith (Turkey Shoot,BMX Bandits) which has built up a bit of a cult following over the years and though I was slightly lukewarm on it first time around it has definitely grown on me a lot since.

-

Excellent performances from both leads Ned Manning and the beautiful Natalie McCurry who sadly passed away four years back aged just 48 this also features a terrific soundtrack and some explosive stuntwork especialy a car stunt at the films finale!

This Blu Ray from Arrow Films looks and sounds fantastic and is a big improvement upon the old Anchorbay edition which in itself was not a bad looking release,extras wise I only rewatched the films trailer but there is an audio commentary with the films director plus a 40-50 minute long Australian TV episode documenting Australia's stuntmen and a couple more bits and pieces so overall not bad!

So overall a great release of a great little movie! 8/10

https://youtu.be/KkR9Ny_FLYQ - Dead End Drive - In trailer (1986).

[ 21. January 2018, 08:42: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Dead End Drive-in rocks!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched E.T. (1982) with my son, first time since i saw it in theater back in 1983. I was 8 years old then and my son is 8 now so the circle is complete [Smile]

Still enjoyable film. I have both the original and 20th anniversary versions so of course this was the first time i saw the extended scenes which i liked.
Otherwise, i don´t like the changes (enhanced visual effects etc.) they made for the anniversary edition.

So, it´s good stuff and has that early 80s magic. Drew Barrymore rules [Wink]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

That's cool that you were able to watch E.T. with your son, Atomik!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

The son of a German General becomes part of a mysterious conspiracy to gain hidden Nazi funds - from IMDb.

Certainly not up there with the directors best movies I still found this to be a pretty OK thriller which while let down at times by some naff dialogue and a snail like pacing had enough going for it still to keep me quite entertained for its 1 hour 52 minute running time!

Locations were great with Bavaria Germany standing in for Geneva Switzerland plus shots of 80s Trafalgar Square London,Berlin etc. also cast wise it was fairly decent as along with sir Michael you had Brit co stars Victoria Tennant and Anthony Andrews.

So overall not a fantastic thriller but enjoyable enough and way better than its reputation had led me to believe - 6.5/10

https://youtu.be/9gqA1thE8-o - The Holcroft Covenant trailer (1985).

[ 24. January 2018, 23:41: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I own The Holcroft Covenant on dvd but haven´t watched it yet.
You have to be in certain mood to watch these kind of films!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
It's slow going at times Atomik with an often daft plot but overall still entertaining and I never got bored with it over its fairly lengthy 1 hour 52 minute running time!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, better sunday afternoon film than late friday night feature [Smile] But i´m definitely going to check it out at some point.
Some kind of Michael Caine marathon perhaps...

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Runaway Nightmare (1982)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245400/

"Two dorky Nevada worm wranglers are kidnapped by a gang of beautiful women as part of a plot to steal plutonium from the Mafia." (IMDb)

Totally weird and fun cult film written and directed by Mike Cartel starring Cartel, Al Valletta with lots of beautiful but deadly ladies.

Definitely not for everyone but i liked it and if you´re interested get the Vinegar Syndrome blu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgyAvTWoiY

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home