iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 30)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flesh and Blood is great indeed!

-

Polyester (1981)

Another wicked John Waters film with fantastic performance from Divine and the rest of the cast.

Posts: 6980 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polyester is great. I still have my scratch-and-sniff Odorama card around somewhere. I think that it's one of the funniest Waters films. Baltimore foot stomper! ROFL
Posts: 2029 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So cool, Crash. The UK dvd included the numbers onscreen but its too bad i dont have any Odorama cards [Smile]
Posts: 6980 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen Polyester Atomik/Crash but I do like John Waters.

-

Took it easy this last weekend and got through quite a few movies starting with the Empire pictures double bill of the Eliminators and The Dungeonmaster aka Ragewar,had watched Eliminators years back and remembered it being good fun and revisiting it all these years later it's still a blast and holds up really well with a crazy action packed plot and some cool effects work!

Dungeonmaster was one I had never seen before and I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was with a computer nerd battling within his dreams an evil wizard known as Mestema (played by the great Richard Moll who was Big Ben in the 1986 horror hit House) who sets him one challenge after the next with which he must then complete in order to save his woman from certain death!

Cool thing here is each of the seven in total dream segments is helmed by a different director (John Carl Buechler,Charles Band,Ted Nicolaou etc.etc.) so no one segment feels the same and while I don't want to sound like I'm overpraising it as it's not quite up there with the very best of Empires 80s productions its still a really fun watch with the giant Richard Moll making for a really awesome villain!

One last thing is for a PG-13 this has some full frontal female nudity which,well what can i say for the age rating was just a little bit different! [Big Grin]

Eliminators 7.5/10 - https://youtu.be/WJgAeGUD2FU
The Dungeonmaster aka Ragewar 6.5/10 - https://youtu.be/rr7oipQkCfc

Had not Watched No Retreat No Surrender since it's original release onto VHS/Beta so it had been some serious time but this film is so much fun and at times that unintentionally hilarious that it is just literally impossible to take the least bit serious and I think that I actally got more laughs out of this than most comedies that I've seen of late!

Captures that 80s feel perfectly and is a blast to watch from beginning to end.

The Blu Ray from Kino Lorber carries two cuts of the film the US version and the International print (which I watched) and an interview with Kurt McKinney plus a trailer.

8/10

-

A Moscow police officer investigates a triple homicide and stumbles upon a high-level political conspiracy in the local government - from IMDb.

A Sometimes tense and entertaining 1983 thriller concerning 3 faceless bodies found in a snowy Gorky Park Moscow that features a first rate cast including Lee Marvin,William Hurt,Joanna Pacula,Brian Dennehy,Alexei Sayle and the late Michael Elphick (ITV series Boon) amongst many others plus a cool James Horner soundtrack that has echoes of his previous 1982 music score for the Walter Hill classic 48hrs.

Set in Moscow but filmed mostly in Helsinki there's some cool and rather cold looking location shots of the Finnish capital and it's beautiful surrounding countryside .

Very decent thriller from Brit director Michael Apted this is sadly my last ever rental from Lovefilm as from the 31st October they have now closed there online rental service for good but luckily I have found a new supplier - Cinemaparadiso so all is not lost!

7.5/10

https://youtu.be/H2XO39vz01M - Gorky Park trailer (1983).

Quick mentions

Night In The Life Of Jimmy Reardon - OK teen drama with a cool cast including River Phoenix and the beautiful Ione Skye. Not bad 90 odd minutes and I feel much better than its reputation would have you believe! 6.5/10

https://youtu.be/ySFQNvaroIY - A Night In The Life Of Jimmy Reardon trailer (1988).

Scrubbers - early 80s women's British borstal drama that is at times extremely bleak but does have moments of humour to help lighten the mood and while it's not a patch on its male counterpart Scum with Ray Winstone it's still an OK time waster and I would say a worthwhile watch! 6/10

https://youtu.be/wa8ylubMFJM - Scrubbers trailer (1982).

[ 06. November 2017, 12:25: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3270 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polyester has a theme song sung by Bill Murray, of all people. How cool is that? The Odorama gimmick, in homage to William Castle, was so much fun in the theater. Of course, it's John Waters. so you know that some of the smells are going to be horrible. Gasoline is one of the milder ones. ROFL
Posts: 2029 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Interesting stuff there, warrior! Yeah, Gorky Park wa shot here in Finland yet ive never seen the film. I need to fix that asap!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -

More Mel Gibson stuff: The River (1984) and Mrs. Soffel (also 1984).

The River was a pretty good drama about a family trying to keep their farm going on despite the heavy weather and evil townspeople.
Good performances from Mel, Sissy Spacek and Scott Glenn. The film was directed by Mark Rydell and Vilmos Zsigmond was nominated for best cinematography.

Mrs. Soffel was a nice drama based on the true story of condemned brothers Jack and Ed Biddle, who escaped prison with the aid of the warden's wife, Kate Soffel.
Starring Mel, Matthew Modine, Diane Keaton and Edward Herrmann.

Mel Gibson had a really busy year 1984 with three films released.

David_J
Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Armed and Dangerous loved this film so much watched it twice in the same day and just watched back to school another classic movie I love this film.
Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two awesome 80s comedies there David_J,have both on Blu Ray.
Posts: 3270 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching the wraith absolutely love this film one of my all time favourite films.
Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
Night of the comet and I absolutely loved it. Its a strange film though but definitely worth watching.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
She's in the Army Now (1981)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083066/

Pretty decent tv-pilot for a series that never was starring Kathleen Quinlan, Jamie Lee Curtis, Melanie Griffith, Julie Carmen and Susan Blanchard.
I would even go as far as saying this was a bit better than similiar women in army film Private Benjamin.

Quinlan looks cute and this was also Steven Bauers first film, credited here as Rocky Bauer [Smile]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Not long added The River to my rental list Atomik as it's one that I've never seen,both Night Of The Comet and The Wraith are awesome movies David_J.

-

Terrific semi-autobigraphical WW2 drama from the talented John Boorman (Deliverance) that perfectly mixes scenes of both tragedy and humour with what seems like an expert attention to detail of all things World War 2 England.

Loved the early scenes where War is just about to break out and all the adults are busily getting prepared (digging garden shelters etc) whilst the kids just seem bored with it all and keep looking up at the sky in anticipation for something to actually start happening!

Had never seen this before and i thought it was a great movie and one which I thoroughly enjoyed watching plus it looked and sounded very decent on Blu Ray (Rental) but sadly and surprisingly especialy for a film that's held in fairly high regard there were no extra features whatsoever and I mean not even a trailer!

8/10.

https://youtu.be/32wyLEBf60c - Hope And Glory trailer (1987).

[ 14. November 2017, 11:09: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody's Fool. A mediocre movie starring Rosanna Arquette, Eric Roberts and Jim Youngs. A lonely depressed waitress falls for a man working on the crew of a stage production that rolls into town. The on,y redeeming part was seeing that eye candy Jim Youngs
Posts: 1997 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hope and Glory blu out here in Finland next week. Never seen the film but im definitely going to pick it up. Thanks for the review warrior.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Protocol (1984)

This was just unfunny imo and the worst Herbert Ross film ive seen.
Goldie tries hard but the jokes fall flat and all that America praise made me yawn.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I gotta admit I don't dislike Protocol Atomik but I'd be lying if I said it was an absolute laugh riot!

Hope And Glory is really well made and feels very authentic and though I can't guarantee it I do think chances are you would enjoy it!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Wise Guys (1986)

"Harry Valentini and Moe ****stein are both errand boys for the Mob. When they lose $250,000, they are set up to kill each other. But they run off to Atlantic City and comedy follows." (IMDb)

A big disappointment this one. Brian De Palma does comedy but i didnt laugh once. The cast is ok and everything runs pretty smoothly but i dont know, somethings missing.

Wise Guys was written by George Gallon who hit the jackpot with his next film Midnight Run (1988) and Norman Steinberg. I guess Steinberg used all his best mafia jokes already in Johnny Dangerously (1984).

David_J
Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
I have been meaning to watch this for years but playing for keeps was my last 80s film I watched. I was so in grossed with the film after 10 minuets I started liking it A brilliant film definitely worth watching here is the trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPk5SmWDccU

David_J
Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
Dolls 1987 I absolutely loved this movie it kind of reminded me of From Beyond in a lot of places. Okay the body count is small compared to most horror movies of the 1980s but this film I really enjoyed. I would definitely rate it as one of my favourite films of the 80s its definitely in my top 10 films that I enjoyed watching.
  This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home