iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Falling In Love.
Posts: 192 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Sea Wolves (1980)

"A true WW2 story: the British must attack a German ship but it's safe in neutral Goa.
So they send civilians, ex-soldiers about 60 years old." (IMDb)

This was a pretty decent WW2 mission film starring Gregory Peck, Roger Moore, David Niven, Trevor Howard, Barbara Kellerman and Patric Macnee.

It´s very slow at times but includes some nice dialogue and action during the last 30 mins. We can see Moore in good shape here doing his Bond routines.

Those old jokers [Smile]
 -

Posts: 6993 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this at the theatres Atomik with my parents but remember so very little about it saying that it was some 37 years ago and I haven't seen it since!

Great cast and I think it's more than about time I did revisit it,loved director​ McLaglen's earlier mercenary flick The Wild Geese and though I can tell this is probably not as much fun it still looks well worthy of another watch!

Posts: 3282 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you not remember it!? Just joking, 37 years, damn it feels like a long time ago. Maybe because it is [Smile]
Posts: 6993 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rewatched Stir Crazy (1980) and i still love it but still slightly disappointed with the third act.

Being in jail´s never been this fun, Gene Wilder doing his stuff
 -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Stir Crazy Atomik!

-

Watched the enjoyable 1989 thriller Hider In The House with Gary Busey and Mimi Rogers​ where Busey plays a recently released mental patient who has served a long stretch inside after killing both his parents in an arson attack after countless beatings from his abusive father,on release whilst drifting around a neighbourhood he comes across a large and quite luxurious looking family home that's currently standing empty on the housing market and so decides that he's quickly going to set up residence there in the attic where he builds himself a false wall so to conceal his new secret hideaway!

Next thing Mimi Rogers and her family move in and start to hear the odd strange noise coming from upstairs but on inspection find nothing to alarm them so just pass it off as being common sounds from happening to live in a big creaky old house not realising that there actually being watched by a hider in there house the terrifying -

-

Gary Busey!

Revisited this a few times over the years and despite it's daft premise i always find it to be an entertaining and sometimes tense little thriller with a stand out performance from the always watchable and nutty as a fruit cake Mr Busey!

Mimi Rogers looks mighty fine and there some great night time shots of the house where it's all back lit with Busey climbing about the roof giving a really cool effect!

Highly recommended as is though to a lesser degree the second film that I watched Nobody's Fool starring Eric Roberts and the beautiful Rosanna Arquette this is a very low key romantic drama that is basically 90 odd minutes of complete nothingness as in all truth nothing of any real note happens throughout but it does have a great atmosphere,great performances plus some truly great scenery of Arizona state making it overall a pleasure to watch!

-

Found myself slightly loosing paitence with it by the final stretch but it's​ definitely a likeable and sweet natured little movie with a strong cast as you also have Louise Fletcher and Mare Winningham (Turner & Hooch) here plus there's some pretty funny dialogue at times throughout!

Worth checking out but some might be put off by the slow pace and quirkiness of it all!

https://youtu.be/agfuP2XlZ6s - Hider In The House trailer (1989).

https://youtu.be/DkoYe_xWYZg - Nobody's Fool trailer (1986).

Posts: 3282 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks warrior, i need to check out both of them when i get the chance.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Brian De Palma´s Casualties of War (1989).

"During the Vietnam War, a soldier finds himself the outsider of his own squad when they unnecessarily kidnap a female villager." (IMDb)

A really strong Vietnam War film this and a very important one for De Palma because he had read Daniel Lang´s article for The New Yorker (which the movie is based) already back in 1969.

Michael J. Fox is pretty good in the title role but Sean Penn is even stronger as Sgt. Tony Meserve. The film co-stars Don Harvey, John C. Reilly, John Leguizamo and Thuy Thu Le.

Casualties of War once again includes all the usual Brian De Palma movie ingredients and some really disturbing scenes.
They say that "What happens in the field, stays in the field." Well, not this time.

-

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Casualties of War is an excellent DePalma film, one of his best, that nobody really ever mentions. Probably because it is so depressing...
Posts: 2037 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooo I saw this today at the thrift store on DVD, in like new packaging. I am going back tomorrow to pick it up! Never seen it. I do like both Michael J. and Sean as actors.
Posts: 2002 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched more war stuff, Behind Enemy Lines aka P.O.W. The Escape (1986) and Codename: Wild Geese (1984).

Behind Enemy Lines is thick Cannon cheese starring David Carradine. Not a Cannon classic but a tasty midnight snack for lovers of the genre.

-

Codename: Wild Geese is a german-italian collaboration directed by Antonio Margheriti.

Starring Lewis Collins, Ernest Borgnine, Klaus Kinski and Lee Van Cleef among the mostly german cast.
This was typical low-budget jungle action fare shot in Philippines and faithfully follows twists of the original Wild Geese film.
Solid, stupid fun.

-

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
This was typical low-budget jungle action fare shot in Philippines and faithfully follows twists of the original Wild Geese film.
Solid, stupid fun.

Erwin Dietrich strikes again ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2035 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, he was in a jungle war mood during the late 80s and did three of these with Collins and Margheriti.
Commando Leopard and The Commander were the other two and there was another one called Cobra Mission directed by Fabrizio De Angelis
It´s easy to guess that they are all more of the same [Big Grin]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

More Robert Ginty stuff and this time i watched Out on Bail (1989) directed by Gordon Hessler.

"A Tennessee sheriff and lawyer want a jailed drifter to assassinate a mayoral candidate." (IMDb)

The plot is similar to The Bounty Hunter as Ginty once again gets in trouble with small town sheriff (enjoyably evil Tom Badal).
Funny fella Sydney Lassick also star and Kathy Shower plays the female lead but i was disappointed that there was not much skin on offer apart from the short shower (ha!) scene.

Out on Bail includes two pretty cool action scenes in the beginning and check out the Eastwood´s The Gauntlet influenced car chase during the final minutes. Solid time waster.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Going back to Casualties Of War I agree it's a seriously well made but very harrowing film and it stayed in my head for days maybe weeks after I first ever watched it back when it first hit home video.

Don Harvey's character of Corporal Clark was that despicable you desperately wanted something bad to happen to him and when the moment comes thanks to Michael J Fox and a handily placed shovel you just want to stand up and cheer!

Brilliant movie Atomik and like you mentioned Crash one that's not often mentioned which I also agree is probably due in large to it being at times very uncomfortable viewing plus one that leaves you on a total downer!

Been years since I've watched P.O.W - The Escape Atomik but I think I vaguely remember it being a fairly decent watch with a solid cast,I know it's never had a DVD/Blu Ray release so it would be good to see someone chuck it out on disc at some point!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the DePalma documentary, he mentioned that Casualties of War didn't test well with preview audiences. DePalma snorted something to the effect to the studio, "Of course not. It's depressing." LOL
Posts: 2037 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
In the DePalma documentary, he mentioned that Casualties of War didn't test well with preview audiences. DePalma snorted something to the effect to the studio, "Of course not. It's depressing." LOL

[Big Grin]

You wouldn't want to be feeling down and then watch a De Palma double bill of this and Blow Out as I reckon it would probably send you over the edge!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Former Green Beret John Rambo is pursued into the mountains surrounding a small town by a tyrannical sheriff and his deputies, forcing him to survive using his combat skills - from IMDb.

Absolutely love the comic book sequels but the original is where it's at for me,such a great movie with a terrific performance though one of very few words by Sylvester Stallone and with a superb supporting cast including the always excellent Richard Crenna & Brian Dennehy plus a very young looking David Caruso.

Based on a Novel by David Morrell which i've never read before but I know differs from the movie in the fact that Stallone's John Rambo character does not survive and that was how it was originally intended for the movie adaptation also (original ending comes as an extra on my US Blu Ray) but due to test screen audiences finding it way too bleak they opted to change it to a slightly more happier outcome,well for Stallone's character anyway!

Terrific stunt work plus some real pulse raising action sequences especially the police station breakout this is one action adventure I could just not grow tired off!

Looks and sounds pretty decent on the US Lionsgate Blu Ray release with a few decent extras one of which being that original unhappy ending - https://youtu.be/jp1mdSQ4BfI .

Brilliant all round! 9/10.

https://youtu.be/IAqLKlxY3Eo - First Blood trailer (1982).

[ 25. June 2017, 11:48: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

corrielover77
Rewind Curious
Member # 37498

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for corrielover77   Email corrielover77   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

THE DAY AFTER (1983)

My dad made us watch this when it aired on TV. I was only 6. Then we watched it again when I was 9, just after the Chernobyl disaster. He was convinced we were going to be attacked or have some sort of incident here in Canada.

Personally, I believe that this movie alone could be the reason why a first strike never happened. If the Russians saw it, they were probably just as terrified.

Definitely a film that has stayed with me for my whole life.

[ 27. June 2017, 20:24: Message edited by: corrielover77 ]

Posts: 1 | From: Whitby Ontario Canada | Registered: Jun 2017 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I bet you did have few nightmares after watching it. Thanks for bringing this up, it´s time for me to finally check out this movie.

And welcome to Rewind!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I'm afraid guys that I have had to delete a lot of me old photos on here as to free up some space on photobucket (as I had used up all my 3rd party hosting usage) so that I can continue to carry on posting new pics along with my latest comments!

Yeah welcome to the rewind corrielover77

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hercules - Wow, this film was even more...special than I remembered. What a laugh. Did not know there was a sequel, gotta get on that!

The Great Muppet Caper - It's funny the things that go over your head when you're a kid. I sometimes wish Gonzo's chicken fetish had gone over mine permanently haha. A better flick than I remembered. Much laughter!

Boy Meets Girl - Really enjoyed this. The black and white cinematography was stunning and it was just plain weird at times with trancelike performances. One of the most melancholic feeling films I've seen. The parts that I equally admired and was irritated by where when it would just cut off in the middle of a conversation. Like when the guy who worked on silent films was about to say why they were better then the convo stops and when the 2 leads after a glass breaks say 'They say that broken glass...' What, what do they say?! Agghhhh haha. I definitely want to see more of Leos Carax's films now.

Posts: 3807 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Very enjoyable 1984 rafting comedy featuring a rather solid cast including Animal House veterans Tim Matheson and the late Stephen Furst who sadly passed away the other month and also co starring Dan Monahan who everyone more or less knows as Pee Wee From the Porky's Trilogy plus veteran actors James Silking,John Hillerman (Higgins Magnum P.I) and to round it off the stunning Jennifer Runyon.

Full to the brim with juvenile humour,nudity plus some great tunes & stunning scenery this is a blast to watch and looks seriously great here on this US Blu Ray from Kino Lorber a company that I have had mixed oppinions with in the past concerning there transfers as I have both The Park is Mine and the 1990 John Frankenheimer flick The Fourth War released by them which both had a bit of a washed out appearance and to me were not overly impressive picture wise!

Worth watching for Jennifer Runyon alone but if you're a big fan of puerile comedies in general I reckon the chances are like me you'll absolutely love it! 8/10

https://youtu.be/K6S3KuZvxxQ - Up The Creek trailer (1984).

-

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree YW. Its a must watch for the 80s lover
Posts: 1531 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched this made for television film Pleasure Palace (1980).

"Dashing Omar Sharif stars as a professional gambler, connoisseur, gourmet and sportsman who sets out to help Hope Lange, as a Las Vegas hotel-casino owner,
from losing its controlling interest to a business syndicate but finds his reputation is on the line when he runs into a mystery lady (Victoria Principal)
who seems to operate on both sides of the law. (IMDb)

A well made but pretty typical tv-movie including gambling, some excitement and romance.
Too bad that Victoria Principal was only in a supporting role here.

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home