iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UHF (1989)
 -

Just felt the need to watch a good old 80's silly comedy, and this one never fails to fit that bill.

[ 21. March 2021, 10:29: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So i should watch this. Ive often wondered if this was worth watching. Being a huge yankovic fan i have to know, does he have a big role
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
So i should watch this. Ive often wondered if this was worth watching. Being a huge yankovic fan i have to know, does he have a big role

Oh yes, it's definitely worth watching at least once. Yes, Weird Al is the main character, but I think most who's seen it would say Michael Richards steals the show in it.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth Girls Are Easy - Just ridiculous in every way and I'm here for it. Great cast, weird dream, really bad jokes and hallucinatory numbers. There's a part in the middle were I was complaining that there hadn't been a silly song for a while and then the absurd 'Cos I'm A Blonde' scene started. Haha, great fun. 7/10
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer Rental

The late great John Candy in his first lead role, set in Florida, with Kerri Green (should have done more movies) and Rip Torn. I probably watched this last more than a decade ago and still enjoyed it to this day.

-

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer Rental is a fun movie. Candys sunburn is a hoot. Btw today would have been Candy's 71st birthday.

Coz im a blonde is such great reminder of the 80s.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Summer Rental is a fun movie. Candys sunburn is a hoot. Btw today would have been Candy's 71st birthday.

Coz im a blonde is such great reminder of the 80s.

I saw it was his birthday today so decided to watch this film, I was up early this morning and as the clocks went back here last night it was exceptionally early, a nice bit of quiet time before the family eventually got up. [Smile]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
One thing about Summer Rental that made me smile was the car dashboard you see at the start of the movie, its huge!

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Unholy - Seen it years ago and only remembered bits and pieces so it felt fresh. I really enjoyed it. The first hour was very creepy and eerie and had me questioning everything. A few times I thought Ben Cross' priest character was somehow in on it all as he did come across a bit of a knob especially at the window ledge scene near the beginning which was so suspenseful. I just ahhh when I see Hal Holbrook <3 And the Luke character made me laugh so much. What a little oddbod, was genuinely sad at his death haha. It lost its way a little but quickly won me around again in that wonderful special effects ridden conclusion with gruesome deaths and awesome Dwarf Demons. The main demons movements were a bit disturbing too. So much beautiful 80s grain <3 8/10

The Delta Force - I expected and enjoyed the shenanigans of the second half. But I was quite taken aback by the serious tone of the first half, with only Chuck eating his chucky eggs breaking up the tension [Wink] I kinda wished that it had stayed more in that vein tbh. 7/10

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Bad Dreams - It had been ages since I last watched this and although I knew it was a elm street 3 rip I didn't remember just how much so. It was outrageous lol. It's funny that the things I remembered most were the culty farm parts even though surprisingly there is barely any of that. I wish there'd been more flashbacks of the cultlife. Anyway I enjoyed it and it was the parts that were a lot different to elm street that I appreciated the most. I'd completely forgotten that gripping ending and the killing the guy with his car dream was sublime. 7/10
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Bad Dreams - It had been ages since I last watched this and although I knew it was a elm street 3 rip I didn't remember just how much so. It was outrageous lol. It's funny that the things I remembered most were the culty farm parts even though surprisingly there is barely any of that. I wish there'd been more flashbacks of the cultlife. Anyway I enjoyed it and it was the parts that were a lot different to elm street that I appreciated the most. I'd completely forgotten that gripping ending and the killing the guy with his car dream was sublime. 7/10

This one definitely deserves a re-watch sometime if I can find it again. I haven't seen it in awhile but I remember watching it quite a bit when it was on cable because it had my first real 80's celebrity crush E.G. Daily in it and a couple of the death scenes were pretty brutal.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyro:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Helen_S:

This one definitely deserves a re-watch sometime if I can find it again. I haven't seen it in awhile but I remember watching it quite a bit when it was on cable because it had my first real 80's celebrity crush E.G. Daily in it and a couple of the death scenes were pretty brutal. [
It looks like it isn’t available to stream.
The Unholy is available though, I saved it in the Hoopla app which is a free library app.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
The Return of Captain Invincible

-

Only ever watched this once before and didn't remember it fondly, but bought the blu-ray anyway. I suppose you could call it a superhero spoof musical, it is funny in bits.

In the final attack scenes where the public are running around and screaming they cut to a group of people holding up a woman who is changing a lightbulb [Confused] [Big Grin]

Don't bother with the Blu-ray though, the picture quality hasn't been increased that much and the audio is only marginally better.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christopher Lee is awesome in Captain Invincible, his Name Your Poison number is priceless [Smile]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
It is, also the president stands up and starts shouting bulls**t and makes a number out of it [Big Grin]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Wings Of Desire - This is wonderful. I'd only ever seen the car crash remake, City Of Angels, which is even worse now after seeing this and how they made that version a ridiculously simplistic love story with an oh well ending. This has so much to offer before it even gets to the love story. The parts that hit me the most was just how depressing yet comforting it was when the angels would travel around and pick out the people with the dark thoughts, their touch instilling some hope and encouragement into their minds for whatever their problems were, big or small. The music and look of the film was stunning throughout and the perfomances especially Bruno Ganz were inspired. I liked how the mixing of black and white and colour sequences not only was nice to look at but had a purpose. The moments of light relief were fab and I loved how Peter Falk was playing himself but as an ex angel haha. 9/10

The Fan - Michael Biehn is creepier in The Terminator than he is here as a stalking, stabbing lunatic! 6/10

Cannonball Run II - Whilst not quite on the same level as the first film it was just as bloody daft and feelgood [Big Grin] 7/10

Happy Birthday To Me - This is how you do slow. I only saw this once years ago and I'm glad it was just as great as I remembered. Also glad that I forgot the wacky ending. The atmosphere is wonderful, I feel like I'm sitting inside of the film. So grotty but so, so comfortable <3 8/10

An Innocent Man - All the 80s Tom Selleck getting revenge after being framed by dirty cops cheese you could ever want! [Big Grin] 8/10

[ 26. September 2022, 04:27: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oxford Blues - The Karate Kid and Once Upon A Time In America were made in 1984, and also this... 3/10
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
quote:

Cannonball Run II - Whilst not quite on the same level as the first film it was just as bloody daft and feelgood [Big Grin] 7/10

I watched Cannonball Run 1 and 2 last week, I also have Speed Zone out ready to go, in fact this just reminded me and I have a few hours spare....
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Happy Birthday To Me - This is how you do slow. I only saw this once years ago and I'm glad it was just as great as I remembered. Also glad that I forgot the wacky ending. The atmosphere is wonderful, I feel like I'm sitting inside of the film. So grotty but so, so comfortable <3 8/10

Watched Happy Birthday to Me the first time few months back and it was pretty awesome old school whodunnit. I just loved the overall atmosphere in the film, pure early 80s magic. Once again strong 8/10 from me too.
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yay! [Big Grin]
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Is Speed Zone any good? I have it but haven't got around to watchin it
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
quote:
Is Speed Zone any good? I have it but haven't got around to watchin it

Not really, I actually forgot how bad it was, not even John Candy could save it, although I don't blame him the storyline is poor.

Maybe because I had just watched 1 and 2 it pales in comparison, it just wasn't funny.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

So there's a connection between Speed zone and Cannonball Run movies?
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oh that's a bummer. Will have to see it some day tho.
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
quote:
So there's a connection between Speed zone and Cannonball Run movies?

Yes but tenuous, it was also called Cannonball Fever, Orion wanted to make a third but Burt Reynolds turned them down, so the rewrote it and called it speed zone but with different actors, writers and director. Jamie Farr was the only actor I remember from all 3.
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home