iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 19)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what makes it creepy is that the film was directed by Hoffs's mother. Nothing says filmmaking commitment like filming your daughter in her underwear in a crappy teen film. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha ha Crash!
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Carbon Copy (1981). Starring George Segal and Denzel Washington. This movie was so bad and so wrong in too many ways.
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I watched Carbon Copy (1981). Starring George Segal and Denzel Washington. This movie was so bad and so wrong in too many ways.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting CRASH.
Watched the MONEY PIT. Favorite scene is Hanks reaction when the bathtub falls through the ceiling.

Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Heat (1986).

"Las Vegas is the backdrop for all the torrid action of heat, as Burt Reynolds plays the soft-hearted bodyguard who's out to protect his friends." (IMDb)

Another Reynolds film and yet another troubled production.
Robert Altman was the original director but left after one day. Enter D1ck Richards who left after Reynolds broke his jaw.
Jerry Jameson took his place but then Richards came back only to fall from a camera crane and wind up in hospital. Oh boy... [Smile]

This is a Cannon film by the way but it´s very slow moving. Burt gambles, helps his friends and dreams of Italy... Pretty boring actually.

I own the finnish vhs tape and R1 dvd. There´s an extra scene on the dvd where we can see that Peter MacNicol´s character survives.
Even the US happy ending couldn´t save this one.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always quite enjoyed Heat atomik though I admit it does move at a pretty relaxed pace,i like the scene where Reynolds is teaching Nichols how to defend himself I thought it was quite comical!

Much prefer the European ending as well where Nichols bites the bullet to the happy US ending, this was remade a couple of years back with Jason Statham in the lead under the title Wild Card which i have seen and it's OK but I like the Reynolds 1986 version a lot more.

Despite issues with pacing Heat for me is not a bad little Reynolds thriller.

Atomik have you got Malone and Rent-A-Cop?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, i heard that they remade this one. I have Malone and Rent-A-Cop waiting [Smile]
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, DePalma was attached to a possible remake of "Heat" for a while. I daydream about that pairing back in the day--Reynolds and DePalma. Who knows? It might have been as good as Pacino and DePalma.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Hostile Takeover aka The Office Party (1988).

"A man takes three co-workers hostage while working overtime on Thanksgiving weekend. He has no demands." (IMDb)

Interesting canadian thriller directed by George Mihalka (Pinball Summer & My Bloody Valentine).
David Warner plays the kidnapper while Michael Ironside, Kate Vernon and Jayne Eastwood are the victims.

All kinds of stuff happens during the two days and the story also follows police captain Smolen (Will Lyman) as he tries to solve the case.
He has to deal with mayor (John Vernon in typical role), the electric company boss and loudmouth special unit captain.

So there´s many different angles within the story and we learn more from each character as the film goes on.
All in all it was a nice little hostage thriller.

-

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I started watching White Nights earlier today, but only got about halfway through. It seems a little slow moving to me. I always liked Gregory Hines. It's a shame he passed away.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
White Nights is such a goofy, strange film, a dance film with political thriller stuff. Or is it a political thriller with dancing? I don't know. The cast is fine, the dancing is excellent, you have Phil Collins on the soundtrack, and yet...it just lies there. There's no sense of plot momentum or pacing. Just dancing, pretty pictures, and pop music.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite enjoy White Nights though i agree it is a pretty strange brew what with the dancing,the politics,the espionage etc.

-

Watched Going Berserk which i know isn't quite held in the same high regard as other John Candy classics such as Uncle Buck,Summer Rental etc but I found it to be rather good fun with some big laughs throughout!

Cool cast featuing John Candy,Eugene Levy,Joe Flaherty,Kurtwood Smith,Ernie Hudson and the great Pat Hingle (The Gauntlet) this 1983 comedy seems to split public opinion right down the middle with some folk finding it absolutely hilarious while others complain that it's unfunny,uneven and crude!

Well I enjoyed it a lot and enough to give it a high recommendation but I would say approach with caution as it's certainly not to everyone's taste!

Reminds me a bit of when I put D.C Cab aka Street Fleet on for my In laws and told them how funny it was just for them to stay straight faced throughout!

Also watched the drama Distant Thunder starring John Lithgow and Ralph Macchio about a troubled vietnam veteran who deserts his wife and young son after returning from conflict to go and live in the wilderness with some equally disturbed war buddies,then many years later he decides that it's finally time that he Wants to see his son (Macchio) again.

Not bad 1988 drama from director Rick Rosenthal (Halloween 2) which has some pretty decent performances from a talented cast and some terrific British Columbia scenery,not only that the great Reb Brown pops up as one of the deranged vietnam vets which was a surprise as I had no idea he was even in this!

Nothing amazing but still pretty decent and certainly good enough for a watch!

[ 25. July 2016, 14:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I like Going Berserk very much. It has that early 80s feel when moviemakers didn´t care about political correctness [Smile]

Here´s the Going Berserk thread: http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/9628.html#000000

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Down Twisted (1987).

"When a levelheaded waitress decides to help her shady friend against her better judgment, she becomes a target
of a deadly international gang of thieves who are after a priceless San Lucas' relic. A bumbling stranger helps her." (IMDb)

Another disappointing film. Down Twisted was directed by Albert Pyun and stars Bond girl Carey Lowell and Charles Rocket.
You can also see 5 second first feature film role from Courteney Cox.

The plot is very confusing but even that can´t hide the stupidity of it all.
The opening part shot in L.A. looks cool but soon we go to San Lucas (Mexico) and it´s all downhill after that.
At least we can hear a cool Oingo Boingo track "No One Lives Forever" during the opening credits.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

True Blood. Jeff Fahey plays Ray, a gang member (cough cough) who is framed for the murder of a police officer, by a rival gang leader Billy "Spider" played by Billy Drago. Ray runs off, leaving his little brother behind. 10 years later he returns after a stint in the Marines, to try to find his brother. His brother is now in Spider's gang. Ray gets a job at a diner where Sherrilyn Fenn works, and takes a room upstairs. I don't want to go any further in the description as it would give away the predictable ending. The best part of this movie for me was seeing Jeff Fahey when he was young, again😍
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Never seen True Blood but I love Sherilyn Fenn,not sure how big a part she has in it but Jeff Fahey is always cool and Billy Drago can play menacing characters with conviction!

Have seen Down Twisted and I agree Atomik that it is disappointing and for a Albert Pyun flick quite uneventful!

Oingo Bongo's No One Lives Forever features in Texas Chainsaw 2 as well,it's a great track.

[ 26. July 2016, 17:10: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
What is it with Albert Pyun? Has there ever been a director who seems to have gotten worse as his long career in low-budget films has gone on? His first film, The Sword and the Sorcerer, is by far his best and shows a modicum of ability to block and stage action. But it seems that every film since then was a step downward to the point where the last Pyun film that I've seen Ticker has stars in it but looks like it was made by Ed Wood.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
What is it with Albert Pyun? Has there ever been a director who seems to have gotten worse as his long career in low-budget films has gone on? His first film, The Sword and the Sorcerer, is by far his best and shows a modicum of ability to block and stage action. But it seems that every film since then was a step downward to the point where the last Pyun film that I've seen Ticker has stars in it but looks like it was made by Ed Wood.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can just about stomach Cyborg, but mostly cuz of Van Damme, all the rest of Pyun's filmography is pure trash! He has stuff that is verging on watchable like Kickboxer 2 or Nemesis, while other films he cranks out, it seems like he has no directorial skills at all. I know he is very ill with some wasting disease (don't remember which) but he is still working on new films, when he should probably just give it a rest and try to enjoy what life he has left.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Pyun has multiple sclerosis. I forget where I read it, but the critic said that Uwe Bolle might be getting a bad rap as world's worst director; Pyun could give him a run for his money. Pyun's like the Jess Franco of Hawaii. Every so often in the earlier films you'll see a decently composed and edited action sequence so you see that he might actually have some filmmaking abilities. But then the film will go back to being completely incompetent. Unlike Bolle, who I think is harboring delusions that the critics are against him and that he's a good director, Pyun, however, just seems to be either lazy or not care.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Pittsburghgirl - I own True Blood and kinda like it. Entertaining film with interesting cast.

I like the first three Pyun flicks The Sword and the Sorcerer, Radioactive Dreams and Dangerously Close.
Cyborg is ok and i have few others i still need to watch but certainly won´t expect much.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Yeah, Cyborg is OK, and Dangerously Close looks good and isn't really that terrible. It's just dullsville. I can never remember that Pyun directed it. I keep thinking that it was John Stockwell, but he just starred in it and started a directing career later.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Jigsaw Murders (1989).

"Detective DaVonzo and his young partner Elliott are putting together a murder mystery with the help of a jigsaw puzzle but will all the pieces be together in time to save DaVonzo's daughter?" (IMDb)

This was a so-so thriller from Jag Mundhra who directed few interesting erotic thrillers in the 90s.
Eli Rich gives a nice performance as the sleazy photographer/murderer but the film is a bit too tame for it´s own good.
Michelle Johnson from Blame It on Rio fame is his prime target but i was so disappointed that she kept her clothes on this time.
You can still see some skin from familiar faces like Laura Albert and Brinke Stevens but not quite enough. Michelle Bauer is the puzzle girl and Yaphet Kotto plays doctor Fillmore.

So, i won´t recommend this one but if you still want to see it, i believe that Code Red just released the blu-ray.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I was wondering about this one Atomik,looks pretty cool from the cover but as we know cover's can be deceiving!

Code Red have some decent releases but I hardly pick up any of there releases as there so damned expensive!

Went past a DVD/Blu Ray store earlier on today here in Budapest but I didn't dare look in there as I would have probably got it in the ear from the missus as we're meant to be here on holiday.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home