iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » Ŧ 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched - Heathers last night (first time on blu ray) and as the usual I ended up loving every moment of it,its such a cool,fun, dark comedy which has a great script and a terrific cast - actually I don't think you could have casted this thing any better as Christain Slater is absolutely perfect here as the sociopath J.D who has plans on taking out the 'in crowd' at the - westerburg high - the high school at which he attends which is mostly made up of annoying,bullying jocks and a rich snobby clique known as the 'Heathers'- Heather Chandler,Heather Duke and Heather McNamara.

-
The - 'Heathers' - Heather Duke,Heather McNamara,Heather Chandler and the odd one out - Veronica Sawyer.

Also as part of this group (the - Heathers) is the kind hearted and intelligent student - Veronica Sawyer (superbly played by Winnona Ryder) who is not only the odd one out by name but also by nature,for starters she is nowhere near as spiteful and vindictive as the rest of the group and she soon starts to grow very weary of there nasty little ways,to the point that she wants out!

In between all this the psychotic and completely deluded - J.D (Slater) catches Veronica's eye and they soon hook up and when Veronica vents her anger at - J.D about the group they soon hatch a plan of revenge but whilst Veronica is planning just a harmless little prank - J.D has something a lot more sinister up his sleeve!

-

Like I was saying seriously good fun this one and I thought that it looked terrific on blu ray,I had read some mixed reviews concerning the picture transfer of this release (anchor bay us edition - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heathers-Blu-ray/1113/ ) and the fact that it had been out on the format for a good few years I wasn't expecting too much from it but I thought both the colors and detail looked spot on in this release and it definitely blew away all previous versions of which I have owned!

https://youtu.be/nyu2SCyr7ak - Heathers trailer (1988).

9/10.

[ 11. January 2016, 10:01: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pity about - rage of honor atomik,I'll probably still rent it but I had a feeling it might not be upto the same standards as - revenge of the ninja or pray for death!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Heartbreak Ridge (1986).

The first hour or so is good stuff but i donīt think this movie needed a war (the invasion of Grenada).
It was a difficult project because they rewrote and rewrote and the army didnīt back the film because they disliked some elements.

Highway (played by Eastwood) is an interesting character, a veteran soldier without a war. I like the training camp scenes a lot, especially Stitch (Mario Van Peebles) is a cool 80s guy.
Overall a solid film but not among Clintīs best ones.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah!
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that line is actually taken from Mad Max Road Warrior, i didnīt remember that at all.
I so need to check the Mad Max films again, Mel Gibson marathon starting later this year.

IMDb says that Van Peebles didnīt know how to play guitar before the film (so he went through another training camp) and he actually wrote the two songs he performed.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rewatched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), last time i watched it was back in late 80s/early 90s i recall.

Still a great, charming movie. You can see few plot twists from miles away but that doesnīt matter. You WAIT and WANT to see those scenes.
Steve Martin and Michael Caine have great chemistry and the rest of the cast do their job very well.
I was surprised to see that they originally wrote the screenplay with Mick Jagger and David Bowie in mind.

I wonder why the UK dvd includes the American version because the bikini girls have their tops on. Not that the film needs any boobies, this is just a matter of principles [Wink]
I guess once again you must hunt down the old vhs tape to see the original euro cut.

Director Frank Oz has said that when he commanded the women to remove their tops, he felt like the most powerful man in the world. So take it off! [Big Grin]
 -

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels as well aTomiK...still laugh out loud at Steve Martin at the dinner table with the cork screw on his fork!

A rarity today...an entire day to myself. I work Mon-Fri and have weekends off, and every second Fri off for a long weekend. So today...wife working, kids in school/pre-school.....yaaaayyy!!!

Watched TAPS on Blu-ray. Thought I had seen this, but didn't remember any of it. It was OK for me...found the pace a bit slow...

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Lemonjello:
The Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah!

The king of cool, the earl of funk....
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...this was a weird one. I would have sworn on my life and bet a million dollars that I had seen Say Anything. Watched this last night with my wife (who also swears we've watched it together)....and neither of us remembered one single scene from the movie....except the ghetto blaster over the head which is a permanently ingrained 80's image. I know this is a beloved classic for many...it was just so so for me [Confused]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I think its' majorly overrated. I don't see anything good about the movie at all.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an alright movie, but not the most spectacular showcase like some people make it out to be. I never saw it until about 6 years ago. I watched it on AMC channel, back when they still showed movies, while I was recovering from surgery. You should add this to the "Overrated" thread kevdug!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Crackers (1984)

"Written by Jeffrey Fiskin, the film is about a group of small-time out-of-luck thieves, led by the unemployed Weslake (Donald Sutherland),
who attempt to rob the neighborhood pawn shop owned by the greedy Garvey (Jack Warden)." (Wikipedia)

Crackers is a decent crime comedy directed by Louis Malle. It's a remake of the Italian film Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958). Fiskin also wrote the excellent Cutterīs Way (1981).
Logan 5 said earlier that its a 70s film made in the 80s and i completely agree. You can say the same about Cutterīs Way.
Gotta love the cast. Sutherland, Warden, Sean Penn, always hungry Wallace Shawn, Christine Baranski, the late, great Trinidad Silva, Larry Riley and pretty Tasia Valenza.
The groovy electronic score sounds cool to these ears and always reliable Michael McDonald performs the main title track.
This is quite harmless, easygoing stuff for lazy sunday afternoons.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Crackers sounds like a fun watch atomik I'll have to check it out,say anything I really love,I thought Cusack was pretty decent and you also get the lovely Ione Skye,I really like it along with most of Cusack's other earlier hits - the sure thing,better off dead,one crazy summer etc.
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
A rarity...got to watch two 80's movies tonight...Mask and Satisfaction.

Love Mask and have seen it a dozen times.

Satisfaction...what a hot mess....horrible horrible acting, but a guilty pleasure. My brother used to work at our drive in when I was a kid, so I was able to go to work with him and watch all the movies I wanted for free....thus went almost every night....in my early teens. Satisfaction was one of those movies, so more nostalgia for me. I've seen it many times but tonight is the first time I realized Debbie Harry (Blondie) had a little cameo. A young Liam Nesson, Julia Roberts (the worst acting of them all)...and Justine Bateman was looking pretty good in this one. Again...sooo bad...but soooo good!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've not seen either of them kevdug,had both of them added to my online rental list it has got to be a couple of years now but never had them sent through.

Infact I've been wanting to watch - mask with Eric stoltz since it first came out,I think I might as well do a blind buy and pick up a DVD copy as at this rate I don't think I'll ever get to watch it and I'm sure I will like it!

[ 25. January 2016, 06:57: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Believers, starring Martin Sheen, Helen Shaver, Robert Loggia, and Jimmy Smits. I watched it on THIStv network and feel like a lot was cut out, as it is a digital sister station to our local ABC network. I remember seeing this on VHS back in the 80's, and thought it was much better back then. Maybe it wasn't so great, but to a teenaged brain it was better?!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I didnīt like Satisfaction much. Lousy characters and pretty lame late 80s feel.

I have Mask on dvd, never seen it and it just waits for the right moment.

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Mask is definitely worth a watch guys. I'm sure I've seen the Believers too Pitts, but can't remember too much about it....
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! Mask is a must see.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
We had a storm a couple of days ago in which many places lost power...including my work office....thus, office closed = free day to chill! Watched Modern Girls this morning....this is a giant ball of fun...really really like it. Aiming to get this on Blu-ray, though it looks a bit pricy...
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was surprised to see that they originally wrote the screenplay with Mick Jagger and David Bowie in mind.
Pretty sure that was done after the success of 'Dancing in the Street'. I can see it working. Besides, it was a remake anyway. The original starred Brando and David Niven, and if I recall, was pretty good.

quote:
I wonder why the UK dvd includes the American version because the bikini girls have their tops on. Not that the film needs any boobies, this is just a matter of principles
I don't recall any nudity in the UK version. Do you know for certain it was in there?

quote:
Yep, I think its' majorly overrated. I don't see anything good about the movie at all.
Bit extreme! I always came down on the 'Sure Thing' side of the fence when the comparison was made. I think the dialogue in Say Anything is better, but it's also too self-consciously clever. I find it to be a good indication of where the 'teen' movie scene was heading in the first part of the 90's.

quote:
Logan 5 said earlier that its a 70s film made in the 80s and i completely agree. You can say the same about Cutterīs Way.
I should also have said that it would have fitted in well after the Indie movie boom of the 90's (which hearkened back to the 70's). In fact, I think 'Welcome to Collingwood' has a similar setup / vibe.

quote:
The groovy electronic score sounds cool to these ears and always reliable Michael McDonald performs the main title track.
"We got more than we neeeeeeeed"

I can still remember it!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:

quote:
I wonder why the UK dvd includes the American version because the bikini girls have their tops on. Not that the film needs any boobies, this is just a matter of principles
I don't recall any nudity in the UK version. Do you know for certain it was in there?

Thatīs just the problem, i donīt know it for certain.
If i see a cheap vhs tape lying around iīm gonna pick it up and check this out.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Future Hunters. I had never heard of this movie until I found it at a thrift store. Since it was 80s thought I would give it a shot. Not a must see but it did keep me interested enough to finish it. It reminded me of a poor man's Mad Max/ Raiders OTLA.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Blob (1988)
 -

Even after multiple viewings this movie still ranks pretty high on the enjoyment scale for me. At this point it has become a heavy contender for one of my favorite remakes of all time.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Don't think I've seen this Pyro...may aim to watch it this weekend after your "thumbs up"....
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home