iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Vintage 80s movie ads in magazines or newspapers. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Vintage 80s movie ads in magazines or newspapers.
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well made but long, pfft!
Posts: 3814 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree terdnthepoolggb, I must say I did like the magazine a lot overall but i did at times think that the reviewers were a bunch of muppets.

I remember they rated - death wish 3 a 1 out of 5 and also - the delta force a 1 out Of 5 and if that wasn't annoying enough you would then get some artsy fartsy brit period flick (where everyone talks through there noses) come along and it would get high fives across the board!

Posts: 3408 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Here's a few pics from vintage film magazines that I have picked up of late with above being the outer cover of Film Review December 1982 featuring the Burt Reynolds Dolly Parton musical comedy The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas + Spielberg's E.T.

-

A cool black and white ad of the awesome Stephen King anthology Creepshow with its rather wicked looking artwork stating that it will be playing all over London from the 21st of November 1982.

(Below) Also from the same edition (Dec 1982 Film Review) another pic of Dolly from The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas plus a black and white ad for the highly entertaining horror sequel Amityville 2 The Possession starring Burt Young,Rutanya Alda and the beautifulI Diane Franklin.

-

[ 01. May 2018, 17:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3408 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

(Above) the front cover of Photoplay Movies & Video magazine November 1984 featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan The Destroyer plus the late great popstar Prince In Purple Rain.

-

(Inside) another ad that caught my eye for the 1984 erotic drama Bolero starring the stunning Bo Derek and also featuring the great George Kennedy it was a Cannon Films production which was shot by Bo's husband John Derek.

Never seen it before but would like to despite it picking up worst picture that year at the golden raspberry awards!

-

And lastly from the same edition is the very beautiful Maria Conchita Alonso who appeared in that months release of the 1984 Paul Mazursky comedy Moscow On The Hudson with the much missed comedy genius Robin Williams.

[ 01. September 2017, 12:49: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the pics warrior, thanks for sharing!

Like all the films you mentioned but Bolero is actually pretty dull despite the Bo Derek / Olivia d’Abo nudity.

Alonso is stunning in Moscow on the Hudson.

Posts: 7201 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

March 1987 edition of Video Hits magazine which you could sometimes pick up for free or just a few pennies from your local video rental shop back in the day.

Front cover features Kathleen Turner,(below) a centre spread advertisement for the wacky looking sci-fi adventure The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai starring Peter Weller,Jeff Goldblum,John Lithgow etc.

-

And lastly a look back at previous titles including Killer Party,Choices,Lorca And The Outlaws,Fever Pitch,Class Of Nuke 'Em High,Spookiest,Silver Bullet and House.

-

[ 03. May 2018, 00:26: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

(Above) front cover for Film Review May 1983 featuring Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie plus Faye Dunaway in Michael Winner's The Wicked Lady with reviews included for Sophie's Choice,The Beast Master and Best Friends Starring Burt Reynolds and Goldie Hawn.

-

(Above) A 2 page spread for the excellent Sydney Pollack comedy Tootsie starring Dustin Hoffman,Jessica Lange,Terri Garr plus the always awesome Bill Murray.

(Below) A full page ad for the excellent Bronson thriller 10 To Midnight with it stating that it plays in the West End and all over London from April the 21st 1983.

-

[ 03. May 2018, 00:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Latest movie magazine pic up - Film Review August 1985 featuring amongst other things articles on Chuck Norris,Chevy Chase,John Travolta,Donald Sutherland,Timothy Hutton,Nicolas Cage,Sting, Richard Pryor and Vanity who also appears on the front cover!

-

Above an advertisement for the fun Scottish comedy Restless Natives which features some awesome scenery and a great soundtrack from Big Country plus a pic of Chuck Norris who at the time was appearing in the great 1985 Chicago set police thriller Code Of Silence.

-

Some great releases that month you had Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon, Brewster's Millions, Catholic Boys aka Heaven Help Us,View To A Kill,Fletch,Insignificance and Ladyhawke.

[ 03. May 2018, 00:19: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, Vanity! Damn i miss those days with all these cool movie mags.

Never seen Restless Natives but i know that it was released here on vhs. Would love to see the film and i love Big Country!

All good films that month including Careful, He Might Here You.

Posts: 7201 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Picked up a couple more early 80s Film Review magazines -

-

Film Review October 1984 featuring Tom Selleck in that months release of Lassiter,Diddley Moore and Nastassja Kinski in the comedy Unfaithfully Yours and main and center Mel Gibson in The Bounty.

-

Some good releases that month including Moscow On The Hudson + the Jim Abraham's Zuckerberg Brothers spoof Top Secret which on the advertisement poster (Above) is rated Pg - Parent Guardian but I'm sure that's an error because checking up on the bbfc and from memory it was always a 15 certificate here in the U.K http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/top-secret-2002-2

Other releases that month were Bachelor Party,Streets Of Fire,The Company Of Wolves,Lassiter,Blame It On Rio, Racing With The Moon,The Hit with John Hurt,WW2 drama The Highest Honour and Scottish Comedy drama Comfort And Joy.

-

(Above) some of October 1984s UK cinema releases plus a small as for Walter Hill's Terrific Streets Of Fire with Michael Pare and the beautiful Diane Lane.

And -

-

Film Review September 1983 which features the late great David Bowie who had not long appeared in the superbly made Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence alongside Tom Conti.

(Below) Stallone directing John Travolta in the 1983 Saturday Night Fever sequel Staying Alive -

-

Again some seriously cool releases that month including Blue Thunder, Porky's 2 - The Next Day,The Outsiders, Twilight Zone - The Movie, Herbie Rides Again and The Lords Of Discipline.

-

Whilst still screening throughout the U.K were the likes of Octopussy,Flashdance,Superman 3, Return Of The Jedi,Treasure Of The Four Crowns,Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life,House Of The Long Shadows,Local Hero and Educating Rita.

[ 03. May 2018, 00:16: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those were the days..

Great pics, Warrior.. thanks for sharing !

Posts: 2100 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Those were the days..

Definitely right there Johnny and when you look at most months release listings it's not just the odd outstanding flick here and there there's numerous ones each month and it seriously makes me long for those days gone by especialy when you consider some of the drivel they release at the multiplex's nowadays!

[ 12. March 2018, 09:59: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Latest magazine pick up is one I used to collect on a monthly basis back in the day but this certain issue was one of very few that somehow passed me by and that is Video The Magazine November 1986 with Godzilla 1985 featured on the front cover.

-

Some terrific films released to home video that month,here's a select few and the ratings that they received some of which I agree with but many that I don't!

They would be rated on an out of 5 score

Remo - Unarmed And Dangerous 4 out of 5

The Park Is Mine - 3 out of 5

The Boys Next Door - 4 out of 5

Busted Up - 3.5 out of 5

House - 4 out of 5

Spies Like Us - 1 out of 5. No way it might have not been a comedy classic like Landis's earlier Trading Places but it was still a fun family come!

The Howling 2 - 4 out of 5. Were they drunk? Saying that it is fun to watch though for all the wrong reasons!

Silver Bullet - 3 out of 5

The Delta Force - 1 out of 5. Same as Spies Like Us no way a 1 what were they thinking and I hope for there sakes old Chuck don't ever find out they dissed his film!

Bad Medicine - 3 out of 5

-

[ 01. May 2018, 17:31: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Aah ´86, what a fantastic year! Thanx for sharing [Cool]

I see that made-for-tv thriller The Final Jeopardy gets three stars.
I think i have the vhs tape somewhere and sure dig the cover art. Gotta check it out at some point.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah the cover art for Final Jeopardy looks really cool Atomik and plot wise it comes across a bit like a toned down version of the excellent 1993 thriller Judgment Night!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked this up for my birthday the other week and that's VHS: Video Cover Art which features more than 250 pages of awesome 80s/90s video artwork

Here's a few -

-

Who wouldn't get sucked in by artwork like this for the 1986 Linda Blair action flick Savage Island but by all accounts the movie sucks!

-

Never seen it before but this is meant to be a fun little horror comedy from 1990 The Willie's starring Sean Aston,James Karen and Kathleen Freeman.

-

Cool cover to the really fun 1985 CBS FOX comedy Moving Violations starring Bill Murray's brother John Murray plus a young Jennifer Tilly with James Keach and Sally Kellerman.

[ 22. May 2018, 10:16: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
And a few more -

-

Had to double check there was no nudity on the cover before uploading as quite a few of these 80s comedy covers do feature nudity but here's the cover art for the fun 1984 arcade comedy Joysticks starring Joe Don Baker and Scott McGinnis from one of my favourite distributers of the time Entertainment In Video.

-

Cover art for 1985-86's Misfits Of Science which I have never viewed before,I'd imagine this must have been the pilot movie!

-

Artwork for the enjoyable 1988 monster truck revenge flick Rolling Vengeance from Medusa Home Video.

-

More awesome artwork for an Entertainment In Video title and that is 1984's Charles Band hit Trancers a terrific low budget sci-fi adventure that spawned many a sequel!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great stuff! I may need to purchase that book [Smile]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Well worth picking up Atomik there's some real obscure ones in there as well that makes it that much better!

I'll take a few more pics of the inside when I get chance.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
A few more sleeve pictures from the VHS Video
Cover Art book -

-

Never seen this early 80s Sci-fi Adventure but it sort of reminds me of the fun Spacehunter Adventures In The Forbidden Zone which were both released in 1983 and both originally shot in 3-D.

-

Artwork for 1988's Aussie action flick Breaking Loose starring Peter Phelps which in some territories was known as Breaking Loose:Summer City 2 [Confused]

I'd imagine it's some belated sequel to an earlier Aussie Drama Summer City (1977) that features both Mel Gibson and Wolf Creek's Jon Jarrat in the cast!

Never seen either but both look interesting enough to be worth checking out!

-

The UK artwork for the fun Australian family flick BMX Bandits featuring an early performance from a young Nicole Kidman and directed by the very talented Brian Trenchard Smith.

-

Entertainment In Video artwork (with added paper cut outs by myself to cover up any naughty bits! [Big Grin] ) for the awesome 1984 T&A Comedy Party Animal starring Matthew Causey and Timothy Carhart.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loving the vintage video rental magazines! Really taking me back!

The covers I already have a book or two full of...

Posts: 3382 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home