iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Best Post Apocalyptic 80’s Film or Animation (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Best Post Apocalyptic 80’s Film or Animation
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im gonna need your help and opinion to find the best post apocalyptic 80's animation or film, however I would also like your help in identifing all of the post apocalyptic 80's animation or films you can think of that haven't been named already, bad or good, as well as your opinion on said films.

I get the ball rolling with mention of my personal Favorites and some I've seen that were not terrible but not great either.

By the way I would count late 70'sand early 90's

Ones I've seen that I thought were best

The Road Warrior 1981
Escape From New York 1981
Heavy Metal: Den & Tarrna segments 1981
Cyborg 1989
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 1985
Thundercats 1985
Starchaser: The Legend of Orin 1985
Waterworld 1995

Ones I've seen, an thought they were not too bad

Steel Dawn 1987 just got done watching it his morning
Spacehunter 1983
Solarbabies 1986

Ones I haven't seen but look interesting

A boy and his dog 1975
Fist of the North Star 1986 looks awesome

if you think of any i forgot, I would like to know about them. I know I'm forgeting some myself

Or if you disagree with me on anything, would be interested in discusion.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate the following post apocalyptic films.

Exterminators of the Year 3000 1985
She 1985
2019: After the Fall of New York 1985
Warriors of the Wasteland 1983

I intend to write reviews for all of them as well.

[ 31. March 2013, 15:47: Message edited by: Lovers with Cassie ]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bearcatrock
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9385

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bearcatrock   Email Bearcatrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it's just barely 1990 - I consider it an 80's film.

Ultra Warrior!

So watchable... so much stock footage.

See 2:40 on the clip below for pure entertainment joy:

Awesome Ultra Warrior clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cizll8RrWW8

-

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could anyone subject themselves to that crap?
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright hearing some new ones I haven't heard of yet, though I have heard of She 1985 have not seen it yet, on Netflix Instant watch however so hope to watch it soon. Big crush on Sandahl Bergman so will defiantly have to check it out.

Lovers With Cassie would like to hear reviews.

Hey Lomax which crap are you refering to, Ultra Warrior?

Here's a question though, would you guys count the Running Man 1987, or Blade Runner 1982 as Post Apocalyptic movies? They do have a lot of run down buildings.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

A movie I grabbed of my shelf over the weekend for a watch could fall into this category and that is the really good Rutger hauer flick - salute of the jugger.

A great film and well worth a watch dutch if you haven't seen it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qckMHp7wU - salute of the jugger trailer.

[ 05. April 2013, 14:22: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dutch is back...and he's not happy....a new film from The Cannon Group....coming soon to a theatre near you.

Yes, indeed. I checked The Ultra Warrior link. Good god, WTF is up with that?

I don't remember much about The Running Man or Blade Runner but I thought both movies were terrbile but obviously I thought The Running Man was much worse.

I know it is from 79 but I believe The Warriors is supposed to be Post Apocalyptic although it's really not that obvious. Certainly alot of survivors if it was.

[ 03. April 2013, 04:41: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m a big fan of the genre.

Here´s a list of films i´ve seen:

2019: After the Fall of New York Review

Def-Con 4 Review

Escape from New York Review

The New Barbarians Review

She Review

Solarbabies/Solarwarriors This is a decent film with a good cast.

Steel Dawn Review

Wheels of Fire Review

World Gone Wild Review

The Warriors is a classic gang film but not a post-apocalyptic movie.

The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome are great films. I need to rewatch those soon.

Heavy Metal is a classic and i also own Starchaser: The Legend of Orin but haven´t watched it yet.
Cyborg, Spacehunter, Waterworld and A Boy and His Dog are all good/decent movies.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, i like Salute of the Jugger too!
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK, you totally forgot about your own '1990 The Bronx Warriors / Escape From The Bronx' thread. [Razz]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Holy cow! Yeah, it´s goooood stuff.
1990: Bronx Warriors/Escape from the Bronx review here

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And let me add some more, good ol' cheezy P.A. fun :

-

-

-

-

Check out www.post-apocalypse.co.uk/reviews.html for some very cool reviews and lots of stills and vintage artwork !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I know that The Warriors does not seem to be Post Apocalyptic but I believe I heard some mention that Walter Hill suggested that it was even though it certainly does not appear to be.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon he could do with a few more barrels on his gun in equalizer 2000 just in case he misses.
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Never seen Equalizer 2000 but it seems that the dude is legendary Richard Norton (Octagon, Forced Vengeance, City Hunter etc.).
If he misses, he still has his karate skills. Ultimate killing machine [Smile]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Have you guys not seen the original Mad Max from 79?

I know as an Aussie I should love this film but I think it's garbage. My old man would spin if he heard me say that.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The original Mad Max is a super classic!
It´s a dystopian action film but not a post-apocalyptic film IMO.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, I suppose you are right. It's been a long time since I saw it. It certainly does have that kind of a feel to it though (to a certain extent anyway).
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, Miller believed that audiences would find his violent story to be more believable if set in a bleak, dystopic future.
I found that info from Wikipedia.

Wired to Kill aka Booby Trap also has apocalyptic themes, although it´s a strange disease that killed hundreds of millions of people.
I found it pretty lame though. Here´s the review

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
then there´s of course Hell Comes to Frogtown which is kinda cool.
Gotta love Roddy Piper!

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Here´s two good ones i forgot earlier:

Survivor Review

Radioactive Dreams Review

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Before the 80's were over, the adult movie industry jumped on the post-apocalypse bandwagon as well :

-

And yes, there's even a sequel too ! [Big Grin]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Too cool, Johnny! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Let's just call it thorough research. [Big Grin] [Razz]
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice binoculars!
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home