iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Malls in the 80's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Malls in the 80's
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I was thinking it would be fun to discuss Malls in the 80's!! It used to be the place to be! What are your favorite memories from your hometown mall? What were your favorite stores or things to do? What are your favorite mall scenes in 80's movies? Take the topic of "malls in the 80's" and run with it!!!
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hanging at Time Out (the arcade) and getting a slice at Capri Pizza. They were right beside the twin movie theater. I loved looking through the stores at clothes that I could not afford- Foxmoor (they also sold those Candies slides!), Ormond, and so many others. I can remember the stores, but not the names! There wasn't much to do in our town except hang out at the mall or go roller skating in the winter.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a really cool site called Deadmalls.com......you can even search by state and find pictures, writeups.....has anyone seen it?
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been there a few times; it was plugged on Blues Brothers Central for its reference to the Dixie Square Mall, and found it interesting enough reading through other states' entries.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, cool site! I look forward to checking it out more, but at first glance it looks sweet.

I will also get to my post of my early mall memories when I get a free min.

Nice post pittsburghgirl [Smile] Arcades and Pizza were always a big part of my mall memories!

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Man, I feel like I have some good memories of malls from back in the 80's. I wish I was just a little older in the 80's because I would have really enjoyed being more independent while there. I would say some of the mall scene spilled in to the 90's but it seemed like it started to lose some of it's luster then. One of the malls in my home town turned in to a ghost town in the 90's, but prior, there was enough usage for two.

Some of my favorite memories were the arcade. The arcade was so amazing to me. I loved playing video games! There was such a buzz in the arcades back then. It's too bad that has gone away. I loved the food court too! All kinds of bad food for you to get in to, all in one place. Then of course the movie theaters. I feel like a combination of going to the mall, grabbing some food, maybe the arcade for a bit, and then catching a movie, was a great day.

I didn't do a lot of shopping but I always enjoyed checking stuff out. I wish I had some old pictures from what the malls in my home town looked like back in the day. I can remember a little bit, but not enough.

One of my favorite movie mall scenes in the 80's is in Fast Times. It was done really well. Lots of high school kids working at the mall, hanging out on breaks, meeting up after to hang out, getting dates! Ha. It was just well done I think.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was at a mall that had a bar in it. got a couple big mugs of killian's irish red before going to see the league of extrodinary gentleman, ended up falling asleep during that one, i was told that i didnt miss much. but that was pretty cool having a theather in close proximity to a bar
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home