iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Who's Seen Motel Hell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's Seen Motel Hell?
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw most of this movie on TV the other night and I was really digging it. I thought it was pretty funny stuff. Problem was I had turned it on in the middle of the night (couldn't sleep) so I didn't see the very end. What happens???
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i seen this one. Good stuff. but i cant remember exactly what happens at the end.

i do remember cliff clavin being in it. i thought there may have been an inside joke, seeing how he is a motor mouth on cheers and what becomes of him in the film

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this in the theatre way back on opening day, and I recall really hating it. I didn't think it was that funny and found that the over-the-top nasty tone coupled with the comedy was a poor combination.

Over the years, I have seen it again quite a few times--it was always playing on Cinemax in the 80s---and I must admit that I was way too hard on it initially. While it is still pretty uneven and a lot of things don't work, it has some terrific moments. I think what is such an acquired taste with the film is that the humor is pitched really black--and played with dead seriousness. I am not sure that was a good choice (check out Peter Jackson's Dead-Alive for the platinum standard for gore-comedies) or that director Kevin Connor really got it, but I can dig Farmer Vincent's fritters. LOL

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i could tell you what happens at the end gordongecko if you really want me to,i only just watched this again the other week.

i don't like to give away endings but if you still want me to let me know.

i think motel hell is a lot of fun,the plot is totally out there what with vincent and ida kidnapping passers by and then planting them whilst still alive in there secret garden.

they then proceed to feed and care for them as if they were part of there livestock and then when they feel there ready for slaughter they tie a rope round there necks and pull them up using vincent's tractor and then slice and dice em up ready for use in vincents meat products.

great 80s horror/comedy,see if you can get your hands on it again gordon as the ending is a lot of fun and includes a cool duel with chainsaws.

-

[ 19. September 2016, 07:03: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I fell asleep right at the end!! I saw when the zombie people were walking around. That picture of the legos is tremendous!

I agree that Dead Alive is the gold standard. I bumped a Dead Alive post, but unfortunately it was in the 80's movie thread so I should have just made a new one in the 90's. That movie is so good!

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING SPOILERS!

-
the gruesome twosome ida and vincent.

did you see past the bit gordon where vincents brother bruce who's the local sheriff works out what vincent and ida have been up to,vincent plans to marry the woman who he takes back to hotel earlier on in the film who was a victim along with her partner to one of his booby traps.

bruce goes to the motel and ida overhears him talking to the young lady about there killing spree,she then attacks him and knocks him unconscious.

-
the secret garden.

ida if i remember right then gets attacked by the roaming zombies,vincent has hold of the young woman in his slaughterhouse and ties her to a meat slicing machine.

bruce the sheriff comes to and then goes to the slaughterhouse to rescue the young lady and vincent is waiting there with a chainsaw and wearing a pigs head for a mask.

-
vincent with a chainsaw & wearing a pig mask fights it out with his sheriff brother bruce.

bruce fights with him then grabs his own chainsaw and they fight,bruce suffers a couple of cuts but in the end strike's vincent in the side with the chainsaw.

he then runs over to rescue the woman tied to the meat slicing machine,both them then return to where vincent is who is dying and his final dying words are that he admits to using preservatives in his meats which is quite a funny scene.

sheriff bruce and young lady then go upto the secret garden where they find ida planted upside down.

bruce mentions that they could both stay at the motel but the woman says no that the place is pure evil.

-
motel hello (hell) sign.

they both leave the motel together

and live happily ever after.

the end. [Big Grin]

[ 19. September 2016, 07:09: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Thank you!! I seriously fell asleep right before the chainsaw fight!
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it back in the day. The Confession was the best!
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Motel Hell and this was very silly but oh so entertaining little film [Smile]

Tobe Hooper was originally going to direct and you can say that this is Eaten Alive´s equally bonkers but not quite as nasty kid brother.

Rory Calhoun is the star of this show and i can also remember his other enjoyable and "weirdish" 80s characters Kit Carson (Angel) and Looney Tunes (Hell comes to Frogtown).
We all know Nancy Parsons as Balbricker and she has her tongue firmly in cheek also in this one.

Cool early 80s atmosphere, cute Nina Axelrod and an idea so crazy i wonder how they ever managed to make a film out of it [Big Grin]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I remember seeing Motel Hell in a theatre back when it opened and thinking to myself, "Who the heck gave the green light to this thing?" I remember not liking it very much then because it was just too over the top. But as the years have marched on, I do appreciate it more and more. I also can't believe that something as "American Gothic" as this film was directed by Kevin Connor, a British director.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Certainly a fun film and you are right Crash you wouldn't think that it was from a British director,i had to look on IMDb but I knew that Kevin Connor had made another fairly well Known US horror and that for me it was the less memorable The House Where Evil Dwells with Susan George and Doug McClure.

Wouldn't mind checking it out again to see if it was slightly better than how I remember it!

Anyone else got any thoughts on The House Where Evil Dwells?

[ 19. September 2016, 12:42: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m gonna watch it tonight [Smile]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cool! Let us know Your thoughts when you get chance Atomik.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
The House Where Evil Dwells is passable, not great, but certainly well enough made. It's biggest draw is the extremely sexy Susan George, who has some nude scenes. She's an actress from the 1970's and 80's that I really enjoy seeing in films. While she may not have been the most beautiful actress around in her era, that combination of petite size, big eyes, and overbite was always pretty irresistable. And she was a good little actress too with nice turns in Straw Dogs, Mandingo, A Small Town in Texas, Venom, and especially Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. I can definitely see why folks like Jack Jones and Prince Charles dated her. She's cute, sexy, and cool. I think, unfortunately, that because of her looks and that as early as Straw Dogs she was always pretty uninhibited in her performances, she got typecast playing sluts and sexpots.

[ 20. September 2016, 08:20: Message edited by: Crash ]

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motel Hell is nowhere to be found streaming online which is strange considering that just about every little, obscure horror flick can usually be found. Especially on YouTube.

I did, however, find it on a double feature dvd with a movie called Deranged. Should be an interesting evening when it arrives!

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Deranged, a fairly faithful documentary-like telling of the story of Ed Gein, the Wisconsin lampshade killer from the 1950s, is an excellent, obscure horror film from the same team that brought us another little 70s gem Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things. Deranged, a Canadian import, didn't get much of a release by AIP in 1974 and for years was almost impossible to see. I have an ancient VHS copy that I believe was self-distributed by one of the film's producers. Since then, it has found an official release. You'll like it. It has a "true crime" atmosphere, right down to the narrator, and Roberts Blossom is just great in the lead, talking to his mother's corpse, killing women, using his taxidermy skills... Gein's story was the basis of the screenplay to Psycho by Robert Bloch.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home