iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cheese?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheese?
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems as though everyone these days uses the words cheesy, lame or corny to describe various 80's movies and their story telling methods such as the montage or the flashback. Where some say it with affection others use these terms to detract or take away from said movies.

But everyone seems to be thinking that today's modern movies are cool, or hip and trendy. And films of the past are not which is why they nessecitate remakes.

Am I the only one who thinks that movies today are cheesy, and films from the seventies, eighties, and nineties are great?

I mean all the current crop of film has to offer is cgi effects, bad cinematography and over dramatic acting. As well as formulamatic plot points, and uninteresting poster children spouting contempory catch phrases and nonsensical obscenties in a pour attempt at failed comedy. All while trying to look cool, or the version of cool according to a rap music video.

Who all thinks that films of the eighties shouldn't be called cheese?

Who all thinks that films today are cheesy or a little stupid for that matter?

Let me know what you think one way or the other.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've got that used to some of these so called critics labelling some of my favourite 80s movies as being pure cheese that even though it originally used to bug me i've grown that used to it now it doesn't even register with me.

i do feel though like a lot of these critics carry on as if they can't be seen to be liking something that could be seen as being dated and uncool by todays hip and trendy youngsters.

i suppose at the end of the day everyone's entitled to there own oppinion and as long as i like the movie in question that's all that matters to me.

-
the 80s were awesome and so were the movies. (well most of them,anyway) [Big Grin]

[ 12. February 2013, 16:30: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I think that cheese is just what you think it is. Cheese. Movies that are cheesy really don't have boundaries on decade. I think it's, just want you find or do not find "good". Anchorman is cheesy, but in fact, AMAZING. There are PLENTY of cheesy 80's movies. But what exactly is your brand of cheese? Slapstick Humor? Lame premise? Typical Horror?

These exist now and then. It's not subject to time constraint.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i happen to love those moments and things about the films of the 80's, the montage, the great soundtracks with the highly motivational lyrics, and the upbeat positive characters.

i also love cheese too, in all its many forms from cheese in a can, the cheeseball, and to the cheesecake

but i digress, before i get to hungry finishing this post, in short cheese seems to be linked with fun and uplifting, so consider the source when hearing such opinions, they are probably stiffs who are oppose to good times, and why would you want pay attention to them anyway?

my motto is more good times!

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home