iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Missing in Action trilogy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missing in Action trilogy
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Missing in Action (1984)

"Colonel James Braddock is an American officer who spent seven years in a North Vietnamese POW camp,
then escaped 10 years ago. After the bloodiest war, Braddock accompanies a government investigation team
that goes to Ho Chi Minh City to check out reports of Americans still held prisoner.
Braddock gets the evidence then travels to Thailand, where he meets Tuck,
an old Army buddy turned black market kingpin. Together, they launch a mission deep into the jungle
to free the American POWs from General Trau." (IMDb)

Missing in Action was directed by Joseph Zito (The Prowler, Friday 4, Invasion USA)
and stars Chuck Norris, M. Emmett Walsh, Lenore Kasdorf, David Tress and James Hong.

I like this film. Sure, it´s dumb, slow and dated.
But it´s a Cannon film and i was raised with this stuff.
Chuck is Chuck, he don´t speak too much but damn you love to see him with a big machine gun [Smile]
Walsh is excellent once again and it was nice to see James Hong (Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China)

Norris planning his next move with Lenore Kasdorf
 -

I think that the best part of the movie is the visit to Bangkok,
Braddock finding Tucker and fighting Trau´s men in the alleys and the dock.

Actually this was filmed right after Missing in Action 2: The Beginning because this film was supposed to be the sequel.
However when the producers thought this film was the better of the two, they simply renamed them
and made the other film a prequel to this. No one can understand the minds of the producers and executives [Cool]

Anyway, this was a pretty succesful film especially on video.
I remember that it went straight to number two in the Finnish VHS rental top 50 back in 1985.
Axel Foley was too tough for Braddock though [Wink]

Cannon seemed to have a contract with Mercedes Benz already in ´84
because all the army men in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) drive them.

Check it out if you like old school actioners, not a Norris classic but good enough.

Norris fact:
"Ghosts are actually caused by Chuck Norris killing people faster than death can process them"

Missing in Action trailer

Next: Missing in Action 2: The Beginning

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the missing in action flicks atomik,watched Braddock m.I.a 3 not long back but not caught the first 2 for a couple of year,i'm going to grab them of my shelf at some point.

I like the first one,Braddock's watching spiderman cartoon on TV and next thing he's swinging around all those white buildings (ok it might well be at night) dressed in black clothing and no one can see him.

Only chuck Norris could get away with that [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the Spider-Man connection was hilarious [Big Grin]

Zito must have been a spidey fan because in the mid 80s
he tried to make a Spider Man movie for Cannon Films.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Missing in Action 2: The Beginning (1985)

"Prequel to the first Missing In Action which shows the capture of Colonel Braddock
during the Vietnam war in the 1970s, and his captivity with other American POWs
in a brutal prison camp, and his plans to escape." (IMDb)

This was a good prison camp actioner directed by Lance Hool ( Steel Dawn)
and starring Chuck Norris, Soon-Tek Oh, Steven Williams (21 Jump Street), Cosie Costa and Joe Michael Terry.

During the first hour, we can see the basic prison camp life, torturing, escape planning etc.
The last 30 minutes includes the escape and blowing the camp into pieces.

The cast did a decent job and Soon-Tek Oh was brutal SOB as Colonen Yin.

Braddock vs. Yin: the final battle
 -

Norris uses a flamethrower and kills two villains with it,
i don´t think that i´ve seen that before.
In the early to mid-80s they had lots of flamethrower scenes in action films. Not so much anymore.

This film was banned in Finland back in the 80s and it was never released on VHS here.
Thank god those days are gone.

It´s a solid movie but now i can understand why the producers released the sequel first.
Prison camp movie is a totally different genre,
Missing in Action was a more traditional action film and it was easier to introduce Braddock to audience in that one.

Missing in Action 2 trailer

Next: Braddock: Missing in Action III

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I thought I can remember reading this was banned in certain countries,it's definetly more violent this one what with yin burning one of the prisoner's alive,Braddock being tortured with the rat in the bag etc,the guy who get's led to the tree and they put the gun to his head and the prisoner shouts out "don't worry there only bluffing",only to find out they were'nt,the humiliation of the prisoner who's made to strip,even poor mazilli's chicken cops it.

-

Yeh I can definitely see why they released the other one first,what with Braddock going back to nam and rescuing all those p.o.w's the plot was even more of a crowd pleaser.

I really like the last 20 -30 minutes of this one,I think it's great,there escape,Braddock's return to camp,the scene you mentioned with Braddock climbing the underneath of that rope bridge and then getting his hands on the flamethrower and giving those nasty guards a taste of there own medicine,very cool .

-
no before you ask it's not the yeti,it's chuck norris as colonel james braddock in missing in action 2 - the begining.

I love the end fight between yin and Braddock,there's none of these silly superhuman moves you have in today's movies just a very realistic hand to hand combat scene.

Overall I really like this and thought it was a great prequel sequel.

[ 04. March 2013, 08:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
this thread is -  -
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother used to love these movies. I really haven't watched them except for parts I saw while he was watching. We've talked about having a marathon night recently!
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Braddock: Missing in Action III (1988)

Braddock in Vietnam, part three!
This time it´s personal because he hears that his Asian wife didn´t die
during the falling of Saigon back in ´75 but is still alive and that he also has a kid!
Time to free the family from the evil General Quock!

Joseph Zito was the original director on Braddock: Missing in Action III
but he and Chuck Norris had creative and personal differences and Aaron Norris,
who was the second unit director, took over as director.

I like his style, this was his first film and the others i´ve seen are Platoon Leader and Delta Force 2.
He knows how to shoot excellent action sequences, explosion scenes and helicopter action
but just like in Delta Force 2, some people died in a helicopter crash during the making of the film.

Norris and co escaping with a truck
 -

The movie stars Chuck Norris, Aki Aleong, Roland Harrah III, Miki Kim, Yehuda Efroni and Ron Barker.
It was also nice to see the great Keith David in a small role.

I like the falling of Saigon part and the nice song during the sequence
and it was cool that Braddock visits Bankok again.
You can even hear the same beat from the first film during the Bankok street scene!

Big guns, car chases, cool helicopters, wicked speed boat, a plane crash and huge explosions!
All in all this was a nice way to end the trilogy.

Braddock: Missing in Action III trailer

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got the whole triolgy in one dvd
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I think you might have seen this poster before atomik,in certain countries missing in action 2 was known as battle rage,the poster(above)looks fine using the original artwork with just the name change,now check out this mish mash of a poster (below) from the far east [Confused]

-

[ 04. March 2013, 08:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Haha, those Asian posters are something else [Big Grin]
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the first Missing in Action, but haven't seen two or three. Liked it, but have to say that Delta Force is a better in my opinion. Of those Norris films I have seen this is how I would rate them.

The Delta Force
Code of Silence

Top of my list

Silent Rage
Missing in Action
Lone Wolf McQuade
Invasion U.S.A
The Octagon
Firewalker

This is how I would rate them, how would you guys?

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
This is how i feel right now:

Norris as a hero:

Forced Vengeance
An Eye for an Eye
Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection
Invasion U.S.A
Lone Wolf McQuade
The Octagon
Code of Silence
Braddock: Missing in Action III
Missing in Action
Missing in Action 2: The Beginning
A Force of One
Good Guys Wear Black
The Delta Force
Breaker! Breaker!
Firewalker

Norris as a villain!:

The Way of the Dragon
Slaughter in San Francisco

I also own Silent Rage (don´t remember much), Hero and the Terror and Sidekicks (never seen them) and need to watch them soon.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i havent seen many norris films so i cant give a good ranking, i do like the delta force quite a bit.

were you guys fans of him right off the bat, or through watching a few of his movies did you gradualy become fans

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I was a fan right away.
The Octagon and Slaughter in San Francisco are among the first VHS films i´ve ever seen.

Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the part on the Octagon with the baby carrage ambush on the Limo.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
Oh I started off with a reserved opinion my mother and father told me when i was younger that they thought Norris was corny and didn't like him, that's why I didnd't get to watch his movies for a long time, but when I finally did my first movie of his that I checked out was Firewalker, because I'm a fan of Lou Gossit Jr. and this poster

-

It turned out not to be too bad, but that great either. Then I watched The Octagon and I began to like Norris but still wasn't into his movies then came Invasion U.S.A, followed by Lone Wolf McQuade and by Delta Force I was a fan. I am now thinking of going back and watching Firewalker agian to see if I have a new found appreciation for it.

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think last year's blu-ray releases of Missing In Action 1 and 2 were Walmart exclusives. [Frown]

Come on, MGM.. What's up with that ?!! [Mad]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
I got a three blu ray pack of Missing in Action 1 and 2 as well as The Delta Force for only seven dollars, you can't beat that.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Dutch that's a bargain and a half,johnny I know they were originally wal mart exclusives but they've started to sell the delta force blu ray us import here in the u.k and also missing in action part 2 on blu ray, the original though is nowhere to be seen,you could say it's gone missing in action.

Not sure about there availability in the Netherlands johnny but I bet someone somewhere has got copies up for sale.

I was tempted by the 3pk blu ray of m.I.a 1&2 and delta force but the price they've got them for sale at the moment over here is over the 15 pound limit so I'd get stung by the dreaded import tax and there's no way I'm getting caught out by that again.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -
silent rage - 1982

First Norris movie I ever watched was good guys wear black followed by i believe silent rage.
Not sure what is my favourite chuck flick but I own more or less all of them on dvd,one which I haven't got but I do like a lot is - the hitman,not seen that for a while.

-
The hitman - 1991

i'll have to see if I can get my hands on a decent dvd/vhs of that at some point as I thought that was a really good Norris movie.

[ 04. March 2013, 08:28: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did buy the Code Of Silence blu-ray. And i believe they could also get Lone Wolf McQuade on blu-ray.
I think i need to keep harassing them to try and order Missing In Action 1 and 2 and Delta Force for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home