iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Amy Irving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amy Irving
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going through an Amy Irving phase. I always loved her in Carrie & Micki & Maude.

Really don't know much of her other work. Saw her on an episode of Law & Order SVU a long time ago but after looking her up on IMDB, I saw a few flicks that might be worth viewing.

Have any of you seen:

The Competition
Voices
Honeysuckle Rose

Maybe I'll just take some risks & order.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only two Amy Irving films: Carrie and The Fury.
All three movies you mentioned seem interesting.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All mildly interesting... The Competition features some truly virtuoso piano playing, which you will appreciate CM, but Richard Dreyfus and Amy Irving don't have a lot of chemistry--and, as I recall, Dreyfuss wore too much eye make-up. Voices has Amy Irving in the prototypical cute-deaf-girl-finds-true-love romance. I've seen it, but it was so dull, all I can remember is Irving's frizzy hair and that Michael Ontkean from Slap Shot wandered through it. How much you like Honeysuckle Rose will depend on how much you like/can tolerate Willie Nelson as an actor (not much in my book). It's another cookie-cutter serio-comic romance, nicely shot with a good supporting cast (Dyan Cannon always makes the most of things in her roles), but with that darned annoying theme song "On the Road Again." Meh.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
I have only two Amy Irving films: Carrie and The Fury.
All three movies you mentioned seem interesting.

You have the two best Amy Irving films. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard of The Fury...is it 80's?

Crash, you've seen all 3 of these? Thanks for the lowdown on each. Perhaps I will order the first two and hold on the Willie Nelson flick. I'm not one for country music so that might not work for me.

Glad I posted this thread. Amy doesn't get enough rec!! [Wink]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
You've never heard of The Fury (1978)? Where have you been? LOL It was Brian DePalma's film coming off the success of "Carrie," and it also deals with telekinetic kids, this time as government weapons. Famous, influential New Yorker magazine critic Pauline Kael wrote an amazing review of it comparing DePalma to Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, and Stephen Spielberg. And while it's a tad hyperbole, she hit the bullseye: The Fury is an amazingly well directed and acted, thrilling film. The plot is so goofy--and loaded with nonsensical plot holes--that if DePalma had slowed down the pace for an instant, you'd have had time to stop and think about how ludicrous it all was. But he didn't. It just moves like a freight train from one scene to the next. Kirk Douglas is great as the hero, and John Cassavetes is a fantastic government villain, dressed all in black with black sunglasses, complete with black sling for his dead arm. The last shot of the film is stunning--hilarious, gory, and brilliant all at the same time, an ending almost as good as the "Carrie" coda.

I have indeed seen all three of the Amy Irving films that you mentioned. Amy's very good. You'll like her in them--and especially The Fury. [Smile]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought I'd see the day... a thread for the ex Ms. Spielberg!

Reading 'Easy Riders and Raging Bulls' Amy Irving doesn't come off that well.

>>The Competition

I love The Competition. Dreyfuss was in his kinetic hyper coke-snorting phase, but I really enjoy the movie. Amy is really likeable in it.

>>Voices

Voices is much as Crash described - a nice little romance but a tad dull.

Also agree with Crash about The Fury - good little 70's horror / thriller. Always makes me think of 'Firestarter' for some reason. I've always been a fan of DePalma's style.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she does the singing for jessica rabbit, great voice
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am a fan of Depalma's style, but didn't really like the Fury, only parts of it. But that wasn't anything on Depalma's directing, just didn't like where they went with the story. Thought it had potential to be better.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Well, I chickened out a bit and didn't order all the films I mentioned. Voices & The Competition are not cheap, about 20 bucks each. So, instead I bought Crossing Delancy with Amy & I will most likely check out The Fury after that.

I watched some clips of Voices on YouTube and I think I can wait a bit...if I could find them cheaper, I'd go for it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys [Smile] !

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Gannon:
I too am a fan of Depalma's style, but didn't really like the Fury, only parts of it. But that wasn't anything on Depalma's directing, just didn't like where they went with the story. Thought it had potential to be better.

I totally can understand that. It's not in the best of his works, mostly because the screenplay, while interesting, isn't that great. It's a movie whose reputation rests almost completely on a great director, at the height of his powers, dragging middling material kicking and screaming across the screen in a huge spectacle of action, humor, and violence. [Smile]

[ 23. January 2013, 15:46: Message edited by: Crash ]

Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, I think it had potential to be really good though, just needed a few rewrites. But I'm curious to see what cindy's ideas are on The Fury. So keep us posted after you watch it.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Gannon:
I don't know, I think it had potential to be really good though, just needed a few rewrites. But I'm curious to see what cindy's ideas are on The Fury. So keep us posted after you watch it.

I agree with that. It's got some fantastic scenes though... ferris wheel comes to mind.

It's no 'Carrie' or 'Blow Out', but it's entertaining enough.

quote:
Well, I chickened out a bit and didn't order all the films I mentioned. Voices & The Competition are not cheap, about 20 bucks each. So, instead I bought Crossing Delancy with Amy & I will most likely check out The Fury after that.
Coward! Competition is the best of the bunch!

[ 24. January 2013, 13:19: Message edited by: Logan 5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
It's been awhile since I seen it, and I watched it around the same time as the brood so both kind of run to together in my memory. I like the opening action shots with Kurt Douglass avioding being killed, and also the Dennis Franz scene.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home