iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80s Friday the 13th movies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 80s Friday the 13th movies
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man I love watching Friday the 13th movies on Friday the 13th!

This is a stupid question I think but can I some how watch my Friday the 13th part III in 3D on my 3D TV? I just have the basic old DVD but wasn't sure if there was anyway to watch that in 3D.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

-

Yeah, Jason lives and is more powerful than ever.
Part six was written and directed by Tom McLoughlin (One Dark Night, Date with an Angel).

This is a very good movie but lacks the nastiness of the early 80s films
and is much more cartoonish which became the common trend among horror films in the late 80s.

The cast includes Thom Mathews, Jennifer Cooke, David Kagen, Renée Jones, Kerry Noonan,
Darcy DeMoss and Tom Fridley.

Overall, i like the cast.
Mathews is much better Tommy than John Shepherd from part 5.
Cooke is convincing and very pretty plus DeMoss looks gorgeous.
Sadly, there´s zero nudity in this film [Mad] [Smile]

Sheriff Michael Garris is one of those cops who just won´t believe until it´s too late.
 -

The opening graveyard scene is classic and i also love the camp setting.
Awesome feel and lighting during those scenes.

The special effects are less gory and there´s lots of jokes, gags and stupid people in the movie.
Some jokes work well and while others aren´t funny at all.

I love the two Alice Cooper tracks from the classic Constrictor album and there´s also another Cooper song
called Hard Rock Summer which can only be found on the box set The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper.

Alice Cooper - He´s Back

Friday the 13th part VI trailer

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the cop in the picture above looks a bit like frank beard
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought shelly on 3 was one of the best characters
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm afraid that will not work gordon if it's the standard 2d release ,if you want to watch it through the old red and blue anaglyph glasses on your tv you need to get a copy of the 3d blu ray http://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-Part-3-D-Blu-ray/dp/B0026KWT0G/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342120293&sr=1-1&keywords=friday+the+13th+part+3+3d+blu-ray or the 3d dvd http://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-Part-3-D-Deluxe/dp/B001K9OXEE/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342120293&sr=1-2&keywords=friday+the+13th+part+3+3d+blu-ray.

i owned the deluxe edition 3d dvd and the 3d image contained so much ghosting i watched it once and then sold it on ebay and just kept hold of my standard non 3d version.

gordon here's a reply (below) i posted to an older thread - valley's friday the 13th - rewind movie night.

- watching this film in the theatres in its true polarised 3-d format must have been something else,but sadly i've never had that experience and have had to settle for paramounts 3-d dvd version with the red/blue anaglyph glasses.

-

the whole experience was quite headache inducing with quite bad ghosting of the image(a lot of reviewers also stated this) and i found very few of the 3-d effects had any real pop to them.

the theatrical experience sounds so much better as stated in this review i found from imdb

A review of the 3-D theatrical version, 17 April 1999

Author: Shawn Watson

Last night, the Cameo Cinema in Edinburgh, screened an ultra-rare showing of Friday the 13th Part 3 in all it's gore-splattered 3D glory. The cinema was packed, the screening sold out and the audience absolutely loved it. Every scare worked, the 3D effects leaped right off the screen and lovingly poked us in the eye and when the film was over it got the longest applause I've ever seen a film get. For those pretentious cynics who think that the Friday the 13th films are not great then there's nothing like a 350+ audience to prove you wrong.

Since this film was in 'polarised' 3D (see-thru glasses instead of a red-blue blur)then it's not possible to transfer the effect to DVD. Besides, nothing beats seeing this on the big screen with Jason's face 10-feet tall and his massive hands reaching out for you. If there is EVER a 3D screening of this then you really ought to go see, even if you have to sell your own grandmother for a ticket.

- [/QB][/QUOTE]

[ 03. May 2016, 14:11: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did actually see this in a theatre in the polarized-lenses-3D version at the height of the 1980s 3D wave. (I saw most of the 3D films of that era: Comin' at Ya, Treasure of the Four Crowns, Jaws 3D, Spacehunter, Metalstorm, The Man Who Wasn't There, Parasite, and, of course, The Stewardesses, which actually had some decent 3D [Smile] ). I did not see Amityville 3D in a theatre but did catch a rare 3D screening on an obscure pay-channel back in the day. The films were pretty crummy, and often the 3D was even worse. Parasite was notably dark and didn't have a lot of depth. Spacehunter's 3D was completely unmemorable, and the film was a disaster even though it cost the most of all of them and had the always likeable Molly Ringwald.

But I digress. Friday the 13th, Part 3 had probably the clearest, most fun 3D of the era, what with eyeballs popping out of the screen at you, as well as assorted weapons. Some of the 3D was pretty effective and not just as a gimmick. By the way, I'm a big fan of the recent 3D remake of My Bloody Valentine. The 3D version of it on my standard DVD is excellent, and it's such a fun film to watch on a nice widescreen TV with the lights out.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting stuff guys.
And it´s always great to read your stories Crash.

I think that the funniest thing they did in 3D Friday III
was when one of the teens gave the viewers a joint [Smile]
Did you try to grab it, Crash [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

You sure have seen some cool 3D stuff back in the day.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

-

Watched Friday 7 last night. It was the first time a saw the film.
It was ok but somehow i´m starting to miss the early 80s feel.
The new Jason is just too powerful, he needs another superhero to stop him.
No more hiding in the bushes, he just keeps coming like a tank.

Part 7 was directed by John Carl Buechler (Troll).
Starring Lar Park-Lincoln, Kevin Spirtas, Susan Blu, Terry Kiser, Susan Jennifer Sullivan,
Heidi Kozak, Jeff Bennett, Diana Barrows and Elizabeth Kaitan.
Oh yeah, this was the first time the legendary Kane Hodder was behind the mask.

Barrows and Kaitan preparing their last meal.
 -

Something bothered me in Park-Lincoln´s acting, i don´t know what.
Sullivan and Kaitan were pretty hot and Bennett was the annoying movie freak this time.

We can see pretty typical kills, the MPAA once again asked nicely to remove lots of cool extra gore.

The soundtrack includes aor/hard rock acts like Stan Meissner, Eye to Eye and FM (Canada).
Sadly, you can´t really hear the tunes.

It´s July, Friday the 13th, 2012 here in Finland already
so it´s time to check out Jason Takes Manhattan tonight.

Friday the 13th part 7 trailer

Jason, what a party pooper.
 -

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always felt somewhat cheated when i used to watch part 5, because in the end it turns out there's
no actual Jason running around and slicing up people.. just an imposter using the Jason legend for
his own killing spree.
It's only in more recent years that i started to appreciate part 5 on its own terms.
Well, it probably was because of its sleazy atmosphere and abundant nudity, but still.. [Big Grin]
Maybe the revelation of a killer that's not Jason might be the biggest surprise of all sequels.
(ofcourse not counting the original's ending with Mrs. Voorhees).

I own the region 1 'From Crystal Lake to Manhattan' box set, which has commentary tracks
for several of the series' entries, and an extra bonus disc with additional special features, which
contain deleted scenes that were ordered to be removed by the MPAA. Altough in pretty rough condition,
there's a lot of part 7's original gore scenes to be found there.

Here it is : www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgfqaMVAlM

I'm not saying these scenes will make part 7 a completely different viewing experience, but it
sure would be cool to see an official high-quality release someday with all these scenes
reinstated back into the movie.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff everyone! aTomiK such excellent write-ups.

-

I was actually too young to see the original "Friday The 13th" in the theaters. I know ..jump back.

Always thought it was cool that Kevin Bacon was in the original, but after finally seeing it years later .. I just wasn't blown away by it like I'd hoped. Maybe if I'd seen it first in the theaters I'd have a different view now.

-

However, my friend and I snuck into to the theater as kids and watch part 2! The movie was a blast, but maybe the best part was us hiding from the creepy usher goth chick that surveyed the mostly teen audience with a flashlight during most of the movie.

The cast in Part 2 is excellent with Amy Steel, John Furey, Stuart Charno, Marta Kober, Bill Randolph, Lauren-Marie Taylor, and Kristen Baker. However, Part 2 also had one of my fav characters from the series.. wheelchair bound 'Mark' played by Tom McBride. That guy was just one cool dude in my opinion.

-

Brilliant write-up by Warrior on "Friday the 13th: Part 3-D".

Totally got a headache watching this movie in the theater with those old school 3-D glasses. But the speargun to the eye trick in 3-D was just 80's awesome! [Cool]

-

So for years I've raved that "Friday the 13th: Part II" was my fav from the series. Great cast and it was the first one that Jason was the killer, but I recently watched Part 2 and Part 4 (the final chapter) almost back to back .. and I've kinda swayed to the side of the final chapter fans now.

The cast with Crispin Glover, Corey Feldman, Peter Barton, Kimberly Beck, Clyde Hayes, Lawrence Monoson, Barbara Howard, and Judie Aronson is such a blast because we recognize most of them from other 80's films we totally enjoy.

And that freakin' hypnotic dance by Crispin brings back 80's memories of watching it in disbelief for the first time every viewing.

In retrospect, "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter" actually has the most 80's feel to it because of the cast. I'm still a huge fan of Part 2, but this film has the slight edge for now.

I've seen the rest of the Friday The 13th movies and it sounds like I need to give Part 5 another chance.. but 1 through 4 is where you'll find me the most.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon80sfan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8491

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Shannon80sfan   Author's Homepage   Email Shannon80sfan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Far for my Friday the 13th Marathon I have watch These!
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 92 | From: Tennesseee | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)

-

Part 8 was directed by Rob Hedden and stars Jensen Dagget, Scott Reeves,
Peter Mark Richman, Barbara Bingham, Sharlene Martin and Vincent Craig Dupree.

It was the first time i saw Jason Takes Manhattan and i didn´t like it much.
We have another bad lead actress here and the rest of the cast is also pretty lame.
I need to blame the lousy screenplay too, i didn´t care about the characters at all.

Why, oh why did Jason have to kill this cool rocker chick J.J. (Saffron Henderson) first!?
 -
 -

We have a new "you´re doomed" man in this film
and Richman as principal "uncle" Charles is super annoying adult.

I loved the opening credits and the boat sequence in the beginning.
The Lakeview Grad Cruise was long and kinda boring.
And finally, it was cool to see Jason in New York City but it was too late,
the film was already doomed.

The Stan Meissner penned theme tune ""Darkest Side Of The Night" is classic AOR.
It was performed by Peter Fredette (Kim Mitchell band)
and you can find it on the Metropolis cd "The Power of the Night" (MTM records 1999).

Well, it´s been an awesome week with Jason and the various teens.
I will always love Parts 1-6 but these last two, not so much.

Metropolis - The Darkest Side of the Night

This trailer is actually pretty cool [Smile]
Friday the 13th Part 8 trailer

-

Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday the 13th MP3

Check out this webpage for a few hard to find Friday songs.

The main song I listen to is Animal by Felony from part 6. The music is playing while Cort and Nikki are in the RV getting it on.

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

-

Yeah, Jason lives and is more powerful than ever.
Part six was written and directed by Tom McLoughlin (One Dark Night, Date with an Angel).

This is a very good movie but lacks the nastiness of the early 80s films
and is much more cartoonish which became the common trend among horror films in the late 80s.

The cast includes Thom Mathews, Jennifer Cooke, David Kagen, Renée Jones, Kerry Noonan,
Darcy DeMoss and Tom Fridley.

Overall, i like the cast.
Mathews is much better Tommy than John Shepherd from part 5.
Cooke is convincing and very pretty plus DeMoss looks gorgeous.
Sadly, there´s zero nudity in this film [Mad] [Smile]

Sheriff Michael Garris is one of those cops who just won´t believe until it´s too late.
 -

The opening graveyard scene is classic and i also love the camp setting.
Awesome feel and lighting during those scenes.

The special effects are less gory and there´s lots of jokes, gags and stupid people in the movie.
Some jokes work well and while others aren´t funny at all.

I love the two Alice Cooper tracks from the classic Constrictor album and there´s also another Cooper song
called Hard Rock Summer which can only be found on the box set The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper.

Alice Cooper - He´s Back

Friday the 13th part VI trailer

-

I ended up watching this last night. It's not my favourite, that would be 'The Final Chapter', but I tend to watch this far more than the others.

Atomik, you missed the best song in the whole movie:

(I'm No) Animal - Felony

-

..or the "It's just 10 more minutes" song [Wink]

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Maybe i was concentrating on something else when that tune was playing [Wink]

It´s a nice song, no doubt about it.

Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they play of the lyrics in the movie. Easy to miss it that way.
Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Really enjoyable, tongue in cheek entry in the long running Friday the 13th series that is very stylishly shot by one dark night director tom McLoughlin which like the previous years -part 5 - the new beginning upped the killcount considerably but sadly also like that movie fell victim to the mpaa movie censors who stripped it of most of its gore http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091080/alternateversions?ref_=tt_ql_trv_5 lessening the impact of many of its kills!

-

A Lot of positives can still be taken from this entry though as for starters its very fast paced,beautiful to look at (those georgia woods sure do look creepy) and features a killer soundtrack with a couple of really great Alice cooper tracks and like j2me mentions above a very cool song - animal https://youtu.be/g28_Md4ORdk by a group known as felony.

-

The cast are all great and i agree with atomik that thom matthews makes for a really great Tommy Jarvis though I didn't dislike John shepherd from the previous instalment,also Jennifer Cooke is not only a very beautiful actress but she is also a very likeable one and it wouldn't be a Friday the 13th without another terrific harry manfredini score https://youtu.be/yHxQu_qCCPU .

-

Watched this on a double bill blu ray that I picked up where it's paired with part 5 which I did think looked pretty decent but this instalment looks better still and for a movie shot back in 1986 i feel this looks really good as there's loads more detail in the print and also the hd soundtrack this time around unlike part 5's was both very loud and very active.

I'd say if your a fan of these movies the blu ray editions are definitely the way to go!

Seriously good fun 8/10.

https://youtu.be/u1vomXv42Sc - Friday the 13th part 6 fan made modernised trailer.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I watched the behind the scenes extras on my Friday the 13th - Jason lives blu ray and they were saying that the first 4 instalments suffered the odd cuts here and there but by the time they got to parts 5 onwards the censors had really gone to town on them and were more or less demanding minutes of cuts at a time.

Part 7 directed by John Carl buechler looks like being probably the worst affected of the lot!

gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread! Was fun reading through all these posts. I watched Part IV the night before Halloween. III and IV tend to be my favorites but I'm due to watch several of these again. Maybe next Friday the 13th!
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother actually worked as a camp counselor at the camp where Friday the 13th was filmed. As for the movies, I'd always heard about them as a little kid and felt so grown up when I finally saw part 3 on TV. Awesome films! In part 6 a girl mentions a card game in which "the object is to find out which cabin Jason's in!". We made up a card game based on that.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? There is no way in hell that I would go to that camp. I know the movie is fictitious but I would still be petrified of being there.

Was he a counselor before or after the movies were made or about the same time?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the movies were made. I might be scared that someone would reenact the films!

[ 17. November 2015, 21:07: Message edited by: Jakey V ]

Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I was thinking. A copycat. Even now as a 34 year old man I would be terrified. Absolutely no way I would go there and certainly wouldn't stay there over night.

Imagine if all off a sudden you peered into the trees and there was some psycho with a hockey mask. I think I would have a stroke.

[ 17. November 2015, 14:29: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite one was the final chapter I loved that film so much I had it on vhs but now I have it on digital copy I also have part 2 and 5 on digital copy and the I have the first one on DVD I loved the Friday films much better the the nightmare films I only saw the first 3 of them but never bothered with the rest.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow this thread has inspired me. I am a big F13th fan. Tonight I think I will watch part 2. Just for the heck of it. Sadly I don't own part 1 yet.
Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home