iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Under-rated 80s horror movies you love (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Under-rated 80s horror movies you love
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and Im loving the Old School cover art!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh bummer..
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got Boogens saved in my Netflix que. I've never seen it. Another underrated horror movie (I think it's 80s...may be very early 90s) is I, Madman.

I really liked Bloody Birthday too...much better than Happy Birthday to Me, IMO.

The Pit is another good one.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

twice dead from 1988 was a good fun low budget horror,starring the pretty jill whitlow (night of the creeps)and a small part for different strokes star todd bridges.

-

a lot of fun this one,was released the other year on 2 movie pack from shout factory with the fun haunted house horror - the evil.

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e-h/eviltwicedead7888.htm

http://youtu.be/XXTaGWLH4JU - twice dead trailer.

-

[ 04. March 2015, 14:45: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Twice Dead while the site was down.
It was pretty good gang bully film turns to horror movie feature.
Jill Whitlow was superhot once again.

The Evil is a great haunted house flick.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bearcatrock
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9385

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bearcatrock   Email Bearcatrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Eyes of Fire" (1983) is pretty good. It's very strange and if you are patient, very unique for a horror film. The trailer makes it look fairly action packed, but it's more like "the Emerald Forest" crossed with a dash of David Lynch and a large helping of a Dio music video. The supernatural themes were allegedly taken from the folklore of that time, and it is not your usual horror fare. Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085515/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kwuNEN-r0

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eyes of Fire looks like a wicked little film.
They released it on VHS here back in the day so i have to keep my eyes open if i could find a copy.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, i have never heard of this one.. but those scenes in that trailer at approx 1.10
where these dead people are bursting out of the ground were pretty impressive to say the least ! [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

last year i purchased a double feature blu ray with 2 early 80s horror's from cannon films and they are boaz davidson's 1982 hospital set slasher x-ray aka hospital massacre (which i had seen before but in a cut version) and 1980's schizoid starring the creepy klaus kinski.
both movies seem to get quite a bad rap from the critics in general especially schizoid,x-ray not quite on the same level but still not what you'd call overly favourable reviews,that being said it has built up quite a loyal fanbase over the years amongst the horror brigade.

x-ray stars ex playboy model barbi benton who if i read right used to date hugh hefner,it also features a small cameo appearance of the 3 main child killers from ed hunt's 1981 horror bloody birthday (another great underated 80s horror)and a really way out there music score which adds a lot to the overall fun of it all.

-

-
x-ray aka hospital massacre (1981)

-

1980s schizoid has a pretty decent cast for an early 80s slasher what with klaus kinski who also starred in what i'd class as another underappreciated 80s horror and that is crawlspace from 1986,you also have taxi's christopher lloyd in a small early role,body double's craig wasson and lastly donna wilkes who played the title character of prostitute angel in the 1984 new world pictures hit - angel.

schizoid also has quite a bizzare musical score and the identity of the killer is certainly no big mystery,there is a scene early on in the movie where the killers identity is accidently revealed in a car mirror,i never picked up on this scene but i still easily worked out who the killer was long before the closing credits,put it this way you don't have to be miss marple,that's for sure!

both scored pretty low on imdb with x-ray a 5 and schizoid a 4.7,i'd say that's a pretty harsh score overall as while you'd probably never class either one as being a classic there still generally a lot of fun (x-ray in particular) and if your a fan of 80s horror slasher well worth a look.

-
schizoid (1980)

x-ray 8/10
schizoid 6.5-7.0/10

[ 23. January 2015, 11:33: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool list. is slaughterhouse or vampire hookers any good
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

terd i've not actually seen either,i know slaughterhouse is getting the blu ray treatment in the uk soon by a company called 88films,there releases are normally of pretty high quality.

i've heard mostly favourable reviews of slaughterhouse,i know here where i live in the uk it was heavily trimmed of violence for the previously released vhs version and that this upcoming release will be the first time it's been released uncut in the uk.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! thats it warrior. Thanx. I saw it yesterday at a used store. Just went and bought it on vhs. its dated 1988. hopefullyt its the full version.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Slaughterhouse (1987)

Alternate Versions

terd this is what is cut from vhs in the uk,a whopping 2 minutes 47 seconds so the censors definitely didn't take to it at the time.
not sure where your based terd but even if you've the highly edited version at least you'll get a rough idea if you like it enough to then upgrade to an uncut edition.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093990/alternateversions?ref_=tt_ql_trv_5

Showing one item

The 1989 UK Braveworld video had 2 mins 47 secs of BBFC cuts with heavy edits to shots of bloody bodies, a woman being attacked, a throat slashing, heads being crushed and a man's body in a meat grinder.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -
(uk vhs/beta cover art)

just finished watching the 1983 andrew davis directed wilderness slasher - the final terror on blu ray.

-
daryl hannah.

featuring early performances from a lot of future big name hollywood stars such as daryl hannah,rachel ward,adrian zmed,joe pantoliano lewis smith etc. plus an early directorial credit for andrew davis who went on to direct some pretty high profile action pics - under siege,the fugitive etc further down the road.

i really enjoyed this early 80s slasher,i loved the setting (the redwood forests of california/oregon),the cast, especially zmed,smith and the crazy pantoliano,the really catchy,cool atmospheric music score http://youtu.be/1BqtFmYUUtw by susan justin and the movie as a whole was beautifully shot .

-

released in 83 but filmed in 81 this early 80s slasher does not seem to recieve a lot of love in general,even director andrew davis seems to not hold it in very high regard (i believe mentioned in the blu ray audio commentary).

i myself personally think for an early directorial effort he's done a pretty bang up job and has nothing in the slightest to be ashamed off,there's certainly way,way worse slashers out there than this one.

i originally watched this on the slightly edited thorn emi uk home video (pictured above) which was trimmed of violence by about 27 seconds http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082379/alternateversions?ref_=tt_ql_trv_5 .

-

i did read over on imdb that even this new blu ray/dvd combo from scream factory is still not the complete uncut version http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082379/board/thread/232794847 - which is a bit dissapointing.

so yeah i'd say this definitely falls in the underatted slasher catergory for me,it's not completely out there amazing or anything but it's certainly a lot better than its reputation would have you believe.

i'd give it a 7.5 perhaps a 8/10.

http://youtu.be/Off2MYmVHLo - the final terror trailer.

[ 04. March 2015, 17:18: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think Watchers (1988) is so under-rated, it's a brilliant movie, and that really intelligent dog is adorable. I loved seeing Corey Haim in a horror film!

I also think Poltergeist II: The Other Side is very under-rated, great film for sure!

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i'm a big fan of watchers chloe,it gets quite a bit of stick from the critics but i think it's a really fun late 80s horror flick!

i've never read the dean r koontz novel it's based on so i'm not sure how it compares to the book!

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, The Young Warrior,
I have never read the book either, so I don't know what it's like, might be interesting to read though.

Yes, it's definitely one of my favorite Corey Haim movies, I have it on DVD, I had to order it off Amazon as every shop I went to they all said they had sold out.

Great movie, I need to watch it again soon! [Big Grin]

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Mann's "The Keep" is a film I've been wanting to see for years, but haven't done so because it's unavailable on modern home video, i.e. DVD/Blu-ray.

I did read the novel by F. Paul Wilson years ago, and it was very well done.

The movie probably isn't as good, but I have heard it's got a score by Tangerine Dream - so that alone would make it worth seeing [Smile]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nft80s, I saw The Keep late night at a cold downtown Pittsburgh theatre, practically by myself, the week after Christmas 1983. It was a fairly miserable experience, which is why I remember it so well after all these decades. I thought that apart from looking and sounding--great Tangerine Dream score--fantastic, it was a real dog. It's easily Mann's worst film, just laughable in spots. I think that it's because, as visionary and great Mann is as a director, he was the wrong guy to do the film. I haven't read the novel, but I know that F. Paul Wilson is a good writer. I also know that the studio tampered with this thing right before the release, although I don't think a longer version would have made any difference. From what I could see from The Keep's screenplay, the film didn't need someone with artistic pretensions like Mann. At its core, it's a junky, silly horror film. It needed a director with a pulpy or comic book sensibility, like Roger Corman or John Carpenter. Instead, Mann has this thing jacked up on a huge studio budget--and still some of the special effects look ridiculous--but it moves at a sluggish, portentous pace. It would have been more fun flipping through a coffee table book of frame shots from the film, rather than having to sit through it.

[ 21. October 2016, 08:22: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home