iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Under-rated 80s horror movies you love (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Under-rated 80s horror movies you love
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please list some of your faves

I feel like watching some unsung gems I havent seen yet:

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few favs that spring to mind that, for the most part, are pretty underrated:

Dolls(1987)
 -

Bad Dreams(1988)
 -

The Living Dead Girl (La Morte Vivante)(1982)
 -

Scarecrows(1988)
 -

Deadly Blessing(1981)
 -

The Keep(1983)
 -

Pumpkinhead(1988)
 -

Ghost House(1988)
 -

Hope these selections help you out.

[ 13. June 2012, 22:38: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyro, Ghosthouse is an awesome movie!! I was thrilled when I found it on DVD.

Other underrated horor gems, for me, are...

Cassandra (hard to find--VHS only--got my copy from Amazon)
Funeral Home (one of my faves from my childhood)
Mountaintop Motel Massacre (so darn bad it's good)
American Gothic
Dolly Dearest (this one may be from the 90s)
The Subspecies series

I'm sure I'll think of more later...I love horror movies.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love FUNERAl HOME! LOL And no one EVER mentions it! Glad to see Im not alone.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best friend growing up had it taped off TV. That was the first time I'd ever seen it. Most ppl have never heard of it. I bought it on DVD when it finally came out!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would the funhouse be considered under rated?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely! The Funhouse is definitely underrated.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Yes...and coincidentally I just bought THE FUNHOUSE for my daughter and her friends to watch a few weeks ago

These are good picks, Guys. you really know your stuff.

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out The Boogens (1981) !

It'll be released on dvd and blu-ray in august.
Here's the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCh-aJ9pt4k

Also worth mentioning : The Unseen (1980), Sole Survivor (1983), and Italy's Zeder (1983, aka Revenge of the Dead).

And talking about The Funhouse.. it got a truly superb release on blu-ray in the UK last year from
Arrow Films. Very, very good new transfer and tons of bonus features which include 3 commentary tracks
and multiple featurettes.
It may very well be Arrow's best blu-ray release so far !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zeder is an absolute favorite! It's great.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood Beach.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KDawg33
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 6143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for KDawg33   Email KDawg33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maniac Cop.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know oddly enough the first time I watched Funhouse and Dead and Buried I didn't like them so much. But gave them a repeat viewing and really like them now.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Same with Pumpkinhead, and Children of the Corn to.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a few i feel are worth hunting down mamamiasweetpeaches if you haven't seen them.

-
mortuary 1983

-
the incubus 1981

-
anguish 1986

-
bloody birthday 1981

-
stagefright aka deliria 1987

[ 22. January 2015, 01:46: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
night visitor 1989

-
eyes of a stranger 1981

-
pulse 1988

-
sweet sixteen 1983

-
grandmother's house 1989

[ 04. March 2013, 08:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
There are alot of ones that look good here, that I haven't seen yet. I love the handpainted horror posters.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i've never seen funeral home,heard a lot of good things about it,i'll have to see if i can get my hands on a copy.

another one i've never seen is the boogens,when it comes to blu ray/dvd later in the year i'll have to see about tracking that one down as well.

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funeral Home (1980) watch it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-B92eEE5Vs

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know what i really liked bloody birthday. i have to mention halloween 3 again, this is really underated one. how about motel hell?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pumpkinhead is an excellent choice, Pyro. It makes me wish that Stan Winston would have directed more movies, although SFX were definitely his calling card. Between Lance Henriksen's performance, the design of the monster, the backwoods setting, and Richard Stone's score, you've got a superior monster movie.

Here are my picks:

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
 -

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
 -

Critters (1986)
 -

C.H.U.D. (1984)
 -

The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
 -

Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
 -

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
all great films there zach

here's a few more i feel are well worth checking out

-
the beast within 1982- directed by philippe mora who made that other 80s horror classic the howling 2 [Big Grin]

-
visiting hours 1982- great early 80s slasher starring the creepy michael ironside.

-
wolfen 1981 - awesome early 80s werewolf horror starring albert finney and gregory hines

-
scream for help 1984 - sleazy 80s horror/thriller from michael winner.

-
cat people 1982- stylish early 80s erotic horror remake directed by paul schrader.

[ 22. January 2015, 01:42: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -
from a whisper to a scream 1987- decent horror anthology directed by jeff burr who made leatherface - texas chainsaw massacre 3 and starring horror veteran vincent price.

-
the church 1989- i personally prefered soavi's 1987 horror stagefright but i still enjoy this enough to recommend it.

-
watchers 1988 - very underated horror starring the late corey haim and also starring that creepy canadian michael ironside.
based on a novel by dean koontz.

-
prison 1988- renny harlins excellent prison set horror(hence the title) starring viggo mortensen.

-
the initiation 1984 - cool early 80s slasher with a great cast set overnight in an abandoned mall.

[ 22. January 2015, 01:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good movie Zigyma7ik, but we're looking for 80's movies here.

And very nice picks here so far everyone. [Cool]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home