iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Sixteen Candles Blu-Ray? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sixteen Candles Blu-Ray?
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It all depends on the quality of the transfer and the source. Some of the best looking blu-rays are old movies. The Searchers, Casablanca, 2001, and Jaws, for example, looks absolutely fantastic. But these transfers were all recently done with latest technology and transferred from the original negatives, which were painstakingly restored. Most Blu-Ray releases are simply copies of the HD video master that would have been done for their first vhs/dvd releases, and the technology has progressed quite a bit in the last few years.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zigyma7ik:
I haven't seen that many Blurays but at least most old movies (70's/80's) are not worth the change. I really don't see why people get a hard on with this.

They make a huge difference.

Even simple flicks like Adventures in Babysitting and particularly Trading Places look great in HD, especially on bigger screens. Try watching the same movie from DVD and then BluRay on a 65"+ screen.

Grain is normal on older movies, it doesn't mean they're not full HD. Using NR to rid the grain is seen as sacrilegious.

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it doesn't make a HUGE difference. I did watch some dvd's before the Bluray and it shows improvement but not as expected. Sorry man, but i leave Bluirays for new movies. Give me good ol' grainy flicks all day long.
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No it doesn't make a HUGE difference. I did watch some dvd's before the Bluray and it shows improvement but not as expected. Sorry man, but i leave Bluirays for new movies. Give me good ol' grainy flicks all day long.

As I said, you see more of the original film grain with HD. Standard def makes the image softer so in fact you see less of your favoured "good ol'" grain and more importantly picture detail.

BTTF comparison (look at the detail in the newspaper as an example and even the plates on the DeLorean).

DVD
 -

BD
 -

DVD
 -

BD
 -

[ 14. September 2012, 04:26: Message edited by: noikz ]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

Yah I know... but still I'm not convince. I rather stay without changes for the old ones. Blurays for new flicks.
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

Dude resize the pics..
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
quote:
Dude resize the pics..

That would defeat the point of the comparison, the BD shots were slightly reduced by the host already.

Some newer movies will eventually look even worse than their older counterparts. Once Upon a Time in Mexico and The Phantom Menace were both shot digitally at a native resolution of 1080P so will never look any better than they do currently (which is fine for now). The remastering of The Wizard of Oz was scanned in at 8K (7680x4320) due to film having (technically) no maximum resolution.

Zigyma7ik
unregistered

Well for the thread's sake, can you take them off... Who cares about the comparison really.
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
quote:
Well for the thread's sake, can you take them off... Who cares about the comparison really.

It's 2012, not 1998. I doubt anyone is using dial-up.

A picture is worth a thousand words, which is handy to counter such misinformation as "there's no difference between DVD and BluRay".

ViennaRage
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13710

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ViennaRage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't picked it up yet. I would almost rather watch a friend's copy of the blu-ray before upgrading. The Breakfast Club actually did look substantially better on blu-ray than the dvd (which was a shock, considering the the nature of the movie). On my tv it looked much better than the DVD, but others that I have upgraded didn't improve much at all, and from what I've read and heard about the Sixteen Candles upgrade, I'm uncertain.
Posts: 20 | From: Beaverton, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home