iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » People of the Eighties older looking? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: People of the Eighties older looking?
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think, I watch a film from the eighties and it appears that all the teenage characters all seem older or more mature than youths nowadays. I looked it up, and in most films from then and now youths are the same age, early to late twenties. Why is it that youths today look more youthfull, hair styles, clothing, makeup?

Is thirty the new twenty?

I watched alot of these films when I was a kid looking forward to growing up and dating these mature looking women, now that I'm in my mid twenties I can't find them!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stiles in Teen Wolf Too was 28 at the time.

I believe Judd Nelson was 25 in The Breakfast Club.

The most ridiculous looking high school student I think is the guy who plays Buddy in Christine. I dunno how old he actually was but he looks like he is about 35.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:

The most ridiculous looking high school student I think is the guy who plays Buddy in Christine. I dunno how old he actually was but he looks like he is about 35.

That's William Ostrander. He may have looked older than the part required (or possibly even
older than his own age at the time), but he did one hell of a job playing Buddy Repperton !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didnt see a problem with buddy being that old, i knew a guy like him at my high school, he failed alot of years
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to IMDB Christine came out 1983 William Ostrander alias Buddy Repperton was born 1959 making him about 24 when the movie was released probably 23 while filming.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
Near the same age as say Anton Yelchin now, who just made Fright Night remake, and who looks like he should be in grade school.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the case of William Ostrander in Christine, i think his presence and the way
he looked and presented himself was important to the part.
I mean, right from the start we just know that Arnie Cunningham (Keith Gordon) would never stand
a chance against Buddy under normal circumstances.

-

William Ostrander as Buddy Repperton

-

William Ostrander more recently

[ 18. April 2012, 13:02: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that he's awesome in the part. Christine is one of my favourite horror movies of all time. You have to admit though that he does look like he is at least 30. Always thought he had a bit of a Jim Morrison thing going too.

I love what Buddy calls Cunningham....I obviously can't say it on here though.

On a side note, Keith Gordon is so good in that part.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I know this slightly misses out on the 80's (we'll call it honorary 80's) but I always laugh when Perry (Tony Ganios) says in The Wanderers that he's 19. Funnily enough he actually was that age despite looking much older.

-

"Leave the Kid Alone!"

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
I agree that he's awesome in the part. Christine is one of my favourite horror movies of all time. You have to admit though that he does look like he is at least 30. Always thought he had a bit of a Jim Morrison thing going too.

I love what Buddy calls Cunningham....I obviously can't say it on here though.

On a side note, Keith Gordon is so good in that part.

Absolutely true !

I've read somewhere that the Stephen King book has its emphasys more on the relationships
between the several high-school characters.
I've never read the book myself, but i think John Carpenter and his cast did an excellent job
in portraying that side of the story as well.

Has anyone read the book ?

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have never read the book either. Saw the movie, "I'm in and out in two hours." (Melon 1986). I have never been big into reading but would be interesting to see if anyone has any good insights about it.

I think it's Carpenters finest work. Not being harsh but a lot of Carpenters films have pretty bad visual effects which also can be considered as fantastic too I guess but when the car reshapes itself it looks amazing.

Keith Gordon plays Cunningham amazingly well. From the pathetic nervous geek with his paper lunch bag, to being a sadistic rebel. Love the scene when he stands up to his old man.

Out of curiosity, do American kids actually carry their lunch in those brown paper bags?

I certainly need to start a thread about some typical American things in movies to see whether it is actually indicative of real American life.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, i used the brown paper bag for my lunch a few times
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
is he a geek because of the paper lunch bag or was it the geekness that led him to choosing the paper bag?

big trouble had some real neat effects too, but escape from LA's cgi is some of the worst i have ever seen in a movie

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I dunno about causality but the paper bag certainly doesn't help his cause. You never really see the cool guys carrying one in the movies. For example in The Breakfast Club, Brian has the paper lunch bag and he is the geek while Bender is the cool guy and doesn't carry nothing apart from a blade he even gets Brian to carry his dope for him.

So the brown paper bag thing isn't a movie myth after all. Here in Oz kids would use a lunch box and I don't think I ever saw a kid ever use a brown paper bag. Also in American movies they always are carrying their books. Is that the way it is in America or do kids really use school bags?

I am certainly not trying to knock Carpenter as he is a very talented filmmaker but some visuals have certainly let the overall sophistication of his work down. For example: In Escape from NY there is a scene where a plane is spiraling down towards the ground and it clearly looks like a model balsa wood plane.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i used a book bag, carried all my books in it so i know i would have it if i needed it, took my coat everywhere as well, come to think of it i didnt use my locker for much of anything
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
I actually started the book the same time as my mother, got lazy, let her read the rest of it and then tell me what happened.

First off King's description of Lebeay played by Roberts Blossom in the film was not enough like Roberts Blossom, whom I thought was quite awesome. In the book a lot of his great sleazy lines are still there but there are also a lot of lines that to me seem a bit too much, and don’t really seem like a real character. I began reading and immediately got the feel that Carpenter just went through this book making every change to better it.

In the book Repperton’s gang doesn’t go to Darnell’s garage to dismantle the car, because it’s at an airport parking lot or something like that. The book makes it seem more like Christine is not so much an entity herself but that Lebay having died shortly after selling the car in the book has began to take over Arnie, Arnie even has to wear the back brace at some point. That stinks if you ask me, I liked the whole side story Lebay told about his brother who was obsessed over the car till the day he died. The book made it seem as if Lebay could just sell the car, just like that, as if their was no inseparable bound between them. The Film handled this in a much better way by creating the brother character, and having Lebay just be a dirty old man looking to unload a Junker he knows is evil but doesn’t care. I won’t tell you what happens in the end, in case you want to read it. But I will say if you like the film and the way it tells the story, the book will feel too much like a alternate ending which stinks.

Hey Bernie people used to carry lunch in brown sacks a lot more than now, now because of this whole go green thing everyone is trying to save the trees, cut back on paper. What did the trees ever do for us, besides give us shade and oxygen. I say we take those trees and cut them down and burn them, let the fires keep millions of homeless warm. What do you think? No good? Alright then, we should burn the homeless to keep the trees warm. Think of all the space we could create, I got dibs on that alleyway right back there. I must confess I’m out of ideas.

But seriously depending where you go can still get those brown bags, On a side note I really like it when I receive greasy food in a brown bag and the grease forms a big grease spot on the bag, you know your in for a treat. Unless it’s a horror film, then whatever is on the inside of the bag is much more frightening

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
the homeless relocation squad, providing warmth to trees, a eco friendly organization

sponserd by kingsford charcoal briquettes

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I say churn em and burn em,,,,,,,I'm offering you The Knicks with Chicks.
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
Got a Bum We can Chum?
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Klopeks are way ahead of me unfortunately.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
we are getting into shark population control now?
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
if so i want 10,000 up front and a few cases of apricot brandy
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
klopecks went into business with harry and lloyd, they provide the nightcrawlers for I Got Worms
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
you made me crack up dude [Smile]
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
Harry and Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber or Dumb and Dumberer? I say we chum the Dumberer boys.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home