iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Dark Crystal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Dark Crystal
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to believe it turns 30 this year. I'll admit it was a rather frightful experience when I first saw it in elementary school (with Chamberlain's penalty for failing at trial by stone and the examples of essence extracting being the most nightmare-inducing), but give Henson credit for trying to go outside the grain. The puppetry as usual is stellar, with all the characters well-designed and realized, and the story (with producer Gary Kurtz perhaps adding a few ideas from several earlier Star Wars drafts he was familiar with, as in early concepts of Lucas's vision, the Jedi and Sith fed off crystals) works well as fantasy. It's no surprise it's become a cult classic over the years.

It's worth asking, do you think the Skeksis should have spoken in their own, Egyptian-derived language as Henson originally intended, or does it work better with them speaking regular English? I can understand the intent, and it was a good one, but to be sure, I found it better to completely understand what they mean.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that i don´t remember ever seeing this movie.
Just bought the SE dvd so that will be soon fixed [Smile]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Finally watched The Dark Crystal.

It´s a good movie but only after watching the one hour documentary
"The World of The Dark Crystal, i understood how much work there was behind this film.
Huge, huge project!

And Chris, i believe that it would have been a commercial suicide if
the Skesis would have spoken their own, foreign language.
Not necessary overseas but in the US anyway.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taken to see E.T. back in '82, the movie had just finished - ended up seeing Dark Crystal instead. I liked it at the time, but watching it again a year or two ago I could only admire the set designs and the overall ambition, the actual movie left me a little cold. I put that down to the somewhat formulaic plot, and the emotionless Gelfling faces. Skeksis however, still rock.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I just watched this for the first time. Truly one of the most disturbing experiences of my life!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goresnet
Master Rewinder
Member # 6592

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for goresnet   Email goresnet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How so, Helen? Seems like the movies of this era have desensitized the viewing audience quite a bit. There is some disturbing imagery, but I feel like a lot of that is from how it got to me when I was a child watching it for the first time.
Posts: 160 | From: League City, TX | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had of watched this when I was a kid I would have been put off all things weird for life lol. It was all the imagery, all the way. Horrifying. I spent the first half an hour going WTF am I watching. I loved its freakiness though [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goresnet
Master Rewinder
Member # 6592

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for goresnet   Email goresnet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Labyrinth more freaky. Maybe that says something about me?! David Bowie...
Posts: 160 | From: League City, TX | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it did leave some scars in my poor little fragile brain. But then again, my poor little fragile brain was already broken before this by movies like Poltergeist, Alien, and all the random Cult/Monster movies my old man had a pretty huge collection of that I was able to sneak glimpses of now and then. But those Skeksis did give me some chills regardless back then.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw "The Dark Crystal" in the theater back in '82; my parents took me & some friends to see this. Great fantasy film, with good puppet effects & a great story.

I recently watched this again (on DVD) for the first time since '82; the film was solid, but I found myself being more critical re: the puppet effects, etc. That being said, this is still a great film.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home